10 minute half time !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

10 minute half time !!

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
10 minute half time break Introduced by Steven Hocking alias SHocking. We pay this wannabee GOAT buckets each year & this is what we get. Tripe after tripe.Stuffed up this years draft over two nights. Kick out rule after a point now just a complete yawn. Have also heard he wants to give the players the right to a replay for a touched ball. We know the shape of the Sherrin is sacred but do not tell SHocking that.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Probably some formula around Ad quotas and how to maximise the revenue in the least amount of time.

From Wikipedia

Australia[edit]
Similar to the European Union, advertising on Australian commercial television is restricted to a certain amount in a 24-hour period, but there are no restrictions on how much advertising may appear in any particular hour.[25] Australian television has one of the highest proportions of advertising content in the world. In primetime there can be 18 minutes or more of advertising (inc. news updates) per hour. Furthermore, product advertisements with informational content are labeled "public service announcements" and not included in the time restrictions; similarly with "this program brought to you by..." announcements, and station identifications. Consequently, there may be less than 40 minutes of actual programme time per hour. Foreign, older television programmes and films are noticeably cut; comedy shows often return from an ad break into laughter, for instance. Australia is also one of the few countries in the world where advertisements may appear prior to, and over the top of, the closing credits of a program. There are some restrictions on television advertising in Australia, such as a complete ban on advertising for cigarettes, as well as advertising during programmes intended for young children.[citation needed] The ABC, the nation's public broadcaster, broadcasts no external advertisements, but between programmes will broadcast promotions for itself, its own programmes and merchandise, although this is restricted to approximately five minutes per hour. SBS had similar restrictions on advertising until 2005 when it began airing external advertisements between programmes, and subsequently, during programmes, like the commercial networks, although still limited to 5 minutes per hour with the first advertisement being half-hourly news updates. Back in 1978, major commercial networks had the longest ever ad break run with the record 53 minutes of advertising.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Maybe the AFL want less Dwayne Russell on TV

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Not enough time to take a *smile*, go outside for a smoke, get some more beers and chat about the first half.

Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Why change the half time break?

Because the public are morons and the game has been taken over by those who do NOT have the best interests of the game at heart, they are serving themselves and the business end.

WHY CANT THEY JUST LEAVE THE F#$%&*%^% GAME THE HELL ALONE.

So much for their amnesty of not touching the rules, "hey we'll just *smile* other areas of the game up instead.. Cant help themselves.

Once they do this you can back it London to a brick they will shorten each quarter again and the patrons will be paying more for less time and entertainment at games.

If they want to improve the half time breaks, TAKE THE F%#%#%$%% MICROPHONES OFF THOSE ANNOYING AF WANKERS screaming incessantly (see what i did there?) and turn down the noise and carry on so patrons can hear themselves think and converse with others without bering audibly assaulted for 15 minutes.

AFL X ....mission creep. They did'nt implement this crap for no reason.

Dead set destroying this great game its a joke, I hate the AFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Because the public are morons and the game has been taken over by those who do NOT have the best interests of the game at heart, they are serving themselves and the business end.

WHY CANT THEY JUST LEAVE THE F#$%&*%^% GAME THE HELL ALONE.

So much for their amnesty of not touching the rules, "hey we'll just **** other areas of the game up instead..

Once they do this you can back it London to a brick they will shorten each quarter again and it'll be 1 hr of footy

Dead set destroying this great game its a joke.

But this isn’t about the game at all
It’s about an interval that occurs when the game ain’t being played at all

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I imagine the 10 minute half time is a scare tactic and we,ll end up with a 15 minute half time break.

Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I imagine the 10 minute half time is a scare tactic and we,ll end up with a 15 minute half time break.

Is that an ambit claim by Hocking.

Why?

Cut the half time break! What’s he going to say when he arrives home early and his missus says you already come too early.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
The formula must favor the Pussycats somehow. Rule after rule change which have no interest of the supporters in mind. Get these morons out of here and leave the bloody game alone!

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
According to Luke Darcy on Triple M the other day, the players prefer it. Half-time means that they cool down and then have to warm up again. I strongly suspect though that this was done for the benefit of tv and not for they players.

Reactions: 4 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
It’s not the proposed rule change itself that boils my *smile*, it’s the reason for the change.
Don’t be fooled by the AFL propaganda reps in the media, this is not for the fans, it’s not for player welfare, it is purely for the broadcaster.
The AFL couldn’t care less about the fans, as long as ratings are up

Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
One of the reasons Shocking has come out with for thinking about this is the game goes too long. I haven't heard anyone say they won't go to the footy because half time is too long or the game goes for 10 minutes too long. If he was serious about that excuse he would cut the game time in half

Reactions: 1 users