10 minute half time !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

10 minute half time !!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Auskick before the game is their proposal.

I imagine venues would get annoyed as food sales etc will decrease. I know I've skipped a drink if the queue is too long and I'm going to miss the action. Let alone needing time to dispose of that which went into the system earlier.

Against.

I'm against too, we shouldn't be trying to be like other games, our game is our game. I like a break at half time. I'd also like there to be less of the crap on the scoreboard and through the PA at half time, let us be for a moment, we don't need to be entertained during half time breaks, the footy is the only entertainment we came to see.

As for the food venues, like most food venues, they need to actually employ enough staff to serve the number of customers they know they will get. The queues are too long because they don't have enough staff. In any case the food venues have little power.

We also need to cater more for the fans at the ground. I have often felt like I'm there as decoration for the TV coverage. I think the clubs need to speak up on this as it is the members, who own the clubs, who are at the ground. TV should not be so controlling, I reckon a fair number of people turn off because of all the ads.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Spoke to Jeff Kennett last night.
Very very vocal against this crap.

Said ( we agreed ) that the AFL will in time shorten the quarters as well. Its his fear.

Just leave our game alone.
Its unique to Australia.

Why do we have to copy other codes or Americanised our sport so much.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Spoke to Jeff Kennett last night.
Very very vocal against this crap.

Said ( we agreed ) that the AFL will in time shorten the quarters as well. Its his fear.

Just leave our game alone.
Its unique to Australia.

Why do we have to copy other codes or Americanised our sport so much.

Your spot on.
Why shorten half time?? Leave the game alone ffs
*They introduced 6.6.6 to increase scoring. Huge fail.
*They introduced the kick in rule, it has made no difference to congestion.
*They introduced the "ARK"
What a disgrace.
*The sliding rule, umpires change the interpretation on a weekly basis.
Hocking isnt improving the game.

If we were '2010" like, i wouldn't watch footy.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Nah, they'll love it. Sell at the same price but not need to dress up the retail point. Slash costs. Instead of 30 or 40 chip fryers across the stadium, they'll just have one massive automated fryer under the centre square pushing out hot chips to distribution points all over the ground.

If you haven't already, have a read up on dark kitchens and ghost restaurants. Your delivery restaurant meal most likely isn't coming from the restaurant itself.

Oh I get it now

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
From what I understand the shortening of the break has nothing to do with the game as the AFL claims but everything to do with the fact that apparently stats are showing that many TV viewers stop watching at half time and don't return. Still we shoud be a club that benefits from the shorter break.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
From what I understand the shortening of the break has nothing to do with the game as the AFL claims but everything to do with the fact that apparently stats are showing that many TV viewers stop watching at half time and don't return. Still we shoud be a club that benefits from the shorter break.
Yep. Massive overdose of games being broadcast, topped up with half the games being non competitive floggings or boring as bat *smile* non scoring wrestling matches n the thirty second attention span generation disappears into the ether.
T.V. stations and their advertisers are shitting their pants over this and have waved the big stick at Magilla n Shocking who've gone into instant gibbering cringe mode. Pathetic flogs in suits don't have the brains or agates to actually make the necessary changes to open the game up, it's just so much easier to *smile* around at the fringes n *smile* everyone off.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Get a tassie side in, 18 game season, NFL style. These brain-dead dullard want to hang on to the old 12 team play each other twice format, while pretending to march forward, its neither fish nor fowl, its stupidly clinging to quantity of games over quality, its colonel clink dumb.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Do not be surprised if SHocking comes up with a motion to eliminate the point post with the goal posts moved to where the point posts where. Can you imagine how much free to air time ads they could fit in.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Do not be surprised if SHocking comes up with a motion to eliminate the point post with the goal posts moved to where the point posts where. Can you imagine how much free to air time ads they could fit in.

Don't give 'em ideas.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
the AFL are a paradox at times when it comes to making important decisions about the game. sometimes they make decisions on a whim with the perception of little or no consultation with stakeholders (ie. expansion and constant rule changes). and sometimes they bring up ideas for people to debate, but take forever to make a call on it (ie. twilight GF, shortening quarters, shortening games).

i know some will argue that no decision is a good decision, but I think the 3 examples I mentioned are very easy and obvious decisions to make and aren't any more radical than some of the ridiculous ideas they have adopted over the past 15 years.