10 minute half time !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

10 minute half time !!

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Is to be kept at 20 minutes at least for this year. See AFL web site. A tick for common sense.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Typical AFL - come up with some dum idea that they think will help them suck up to their media partners. When they finally get round to consulting with the media partners they get told to pull their head in and p... off with their idea as it will lessen the number of adds they can run at half time..........didn’t think of that says the AFL.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Typical AFL - come up with some dum idea that they think will help them suck up to their media partners. When they finally get round to consulting with the media partners they get told to pull their head in and p... off with their idea as it will lessen the number of adds they can run at half time..........didn’t think of that says the AFL.
Butbutbut, it was all just a bit of H.Q. spitballin n thought processin. Nothing for anyone to get all annoyed or agitated about. Simply shows that the boys in head office are flat out working hard trying to find ways to justify their existence.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Meanwhile at AFL HQ - Penthouse suite

*zzzzzzzzip*

Gill: Oh get up Brad, for *smile* sake!
Chris: It's Chris Gill.
Gill: Whatever, now tell me what our off season media coverage numbers are.
Chris: Ummmmmm I don't know Gill. Pretty good I think.
Gill: You think? You *smile* think! What the *smile* do I pay you for?
Chris: Well. Ummm. Evolving stuff?
Gill: Yes you berk! I pay you to evolve stuff. But you can't tell me anything about how we need to evolve. Data Brad. You need to evolve based on data.
Chris: It's Chris.
Gill: Let me tell you what our numbers are. Our media ratings are through the floor. The newspapers are full of bushfires, viruses named after beers, and that NRL loving, happy clapping, marketing *smile* buggering up sports rorts and heading overseas for a holiday. It's not good enough. There's nothing about me or the AFL, except for coverage of the best full back to ever play the game retiring two years ahead of the end of his current contract.
Chris: Media's not my area Gill.
Gill: I know. Nothing ever is. I dumped a shitload of cash into the club you used to coach and I got nothing in return. And now I'm dumping a *smile* load of cash into your wallet and guess what? Nothing in return!
Chris: Well not exactly nothing... *Gestures subtly to Gill's waist*
Gill: That's not the point Brad.
Chris: Chris.
Gill: I need ideas. Oh well we'll have to go with that drunkard Hocking's suggestion to have a 10 minute half time break.
Chris: That's the dumbest idea since starting a team on the Gold Coast.
Gill: I know. But it'll generate column inches. And that's all that matters.
Chris: People are going to take it seriously. Hutchinson is gonna go spare because of the lost advertising revenue! Seven are gonna demand a meeting!
Gill: Don't care. We'll just deflect it onto Hocking. And then, just before the AFLW kicks off we'll say it won't be happening. But we'll get airtime and inches. *smile* the Koalas and *rabbit ears* 1 billion native animals lost in the *rabbit ears* fires! I want my picture back on the front pages!
Chris: You mean the AFL back on the front pages?
Gill: Shut up Brad.
Chris: It's Chris, Gill.
Gill: Whatever.

• Haha

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
AFL has now released on field runner time rules for the Marsh series. if a success could be introduced in AFL series. This announcement was by a AFL spokesman therefore I assume SHocking has passed the buck to an underling thus avoiding embarrasing feed back from the sage football public. Maybe the underling was Brad "Grate" Scott

• Haha

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
AFL has now released on field runner time rules for the Marsh series. if a success could be introduced in AFL series. This announcement was by a AFL spokesman therefore I assume SHocking has passed the buck to an underling thus avoiding embarrasing feed back from the sage football public. Maybe the underling was Brad "Grate" Scott
"During the opening round of the Marsh Series starting February 20 – where every team plays once across two weeks – runners will be allowed to enter the field of play twice for a maximum of 90 seconds per quarter"

"Then during the third weekend of the Marsh Series – where all 18 teams will play – runners will be capped at three messages per quarter for 60 seconds each"

What happens if the runner doesn't get off the ground within the 90 seconds? Or in 60 seconds for the second"trial"? What's the penalty?

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
What happens if the runner doesn't get off the ground within the 90 seconds? Or in 60 seconds for the second"trial"? What's the penalty?
It's not the AFL way to think too far ahead with these things.

First, implement a wacky new rule with very limited testing behind it
Then, when things go pear shaped, stand around scratching your head and wipe the dribble from your chin
Finally implement another hastily made up rule to fix the first rules shortcomings, which was never needed in the first place.

I think the above is straight off the Position Description for Evolution Manager...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
So the runner will end up having 60 seconds to get on the ground, get his message to X number of players and then get off. Might need to sign up Usain as our runner. But then he would be stopping for photos so maybe get Matty White back.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I hear Fox Footy said no as it feels its more in depth halftime analysis gives them an edge over Seven's ads and fluff.

I thought 7 were the rights holders and onsold to Fox. I'd assume Seven is in the position to negotiate rather than Fox

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I thought 7 were the rights holders and onsold to Fox. I'd assume Seven is in the position to negotiate rather than Fox
Seven's resistance to the change was due to lack of revenue during half time, ie: less ads
Just another example of the broadcaster calling the shots

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seven's resistance to the change was due to lack of revenue during half time, ie: less ads
Just another example of the broadcaster calling the shots

To be fair to Seven, Shocking and Dill took away a lot of revenue from Seven by changing the rules so that a lot less goals are scored during a match.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
SHocking now suggesting AFL will soon become AFLM Australian Football Legue Men & AFLW will be Australian Football League Women. SHocking must be some ones Dummy most probably Scott Brothers Incorporated.

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I couldn't believe the angst I read about this today.

Would it really make any difference at all if it was AFLM? Who would even care?

Would make F*** All difference and anyway, it just ain't gonna happen.

Just a beat-up for the usual right wing nutbags to get in a tizz about. They seem very fragile and easy to offend.

DS

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Would make F*** All difference and anyway, it just ain't gonna happen.

Just a beat-up for the usual right wing nutbags to get in a tizz about. They seem very fragile and easy to offend.

DS

Keeps the AFL front and centre in the media(newspapers, talk back radio and other platforms talking about AFL all related.

AFL must be worried about other codes , plus the fact their big frontier into China looks like a bust and game being scrapped because of the coronavirus....

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
SHocking now suggesting AFL will soon become AFLM Australian Football Legue Men & AFLW will be Australian Football League Women. SHocking must be some ones Dummy most probably Scott Brothers Incorporated.

Does this make AFLM the 3rd era in the game?
VFL, AFL, AFLM
Interstate chumps said All previous VFL premierships don’t count.
Would this be the same for AFLM?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
when I first read that SH was looking at changing it to AFLM I thought I was reading a Titus O ‘Reilly piece.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
when I first read that SH was looking at changing it to AFLM I thought I was reading a Titus O ‘Reilly piece.

Kennett stepping down end of sason but gives SHocking a well deserved serve for idiocy. Got me beat as it is quite clear SHocking is as useless as tits on a bull to everyone except the AFL Commission. When you look at the AFL Commission it is just a Punch & Judy puppet show with Gillon "Yawn'" MacLachlan pulling the strings.

Reactions: 1 users