1988 R12 Richmond v Carlton at MCG | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

1988 R12 Richmond v Carlton at MCG

langers1971

Tiger Cub
Mar 4, 2008
It was a cold Friday night at the MCG as these 2 teams lined up to play, Carlton sitting 2nd on the ladder with 9 wins, 2 losses, against Richmond sitting last with 2 wins and 9 losses.

In the first qtr, it was all Carlton with Rhys-Jones kicking a couple of goals, giving Carlton a good lead at qtr time, 5.6.36 to 1.4.10

The 2nd qtr was a more dour struggle, with a bit less scoring, and at half time, Carlton led 7.12.54 to 4.10.34. Carlton still seemed to be in control, but after half time, all that was about to change.............

In the 3rd qtr, a change came over this game, and Carlton found themselves under more and more pressure, and Richmond were able to hit the scoreboard, and at the last change, Richmond led 9.18.72 to 9.16.70

Would Richmond be able to go on with this, or would Carlton prove to be too strong.........

It would prove to be the former, with Richmond running riot in the final qtr to kick 6.2 tp 3.5 to record a very impressive 17 point win, 15.20.110 to 12.21 93 in fromt of just 19,548 people.

goal scorers:

Hogg, Pym 3
Mitchell, Nicholls 2
Weightman, Mckellar, Ryan, M Pickering, J Pickering 1

Best players: Free, Weightman, Honeybun, Pym, Nicholls, Palm

Richmond would go onto finish with 8 wins for season 1988, to finish in 10th spot, after being wooden spooners in 1987.

I have been trying to find footage of this game for over 3 years now, it was shown on delay by ch 7 on the night, into Melbourne. I have exhausted all avenues, i have tried ch 7, the 2 competing clubs, the afl, name a game/sports delivered, youtube, torrents.

If anyone has an old tape somewhere with this game, i would really love to hear from you, i can convert old tapes to dvd very easily.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

thank you

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
My mate and I were there freezing in the Southern stand, in the middle of a congested group of Tiger supporters yelling like maniacs trying to heat each other up. ;D

I remember Pym had a purple patch in the last quarter. I'm surprised Ch 7 hasn't got this.....or don't want you to know they have?

PurpleSneakers

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 9, 2007
If I'm not mistaken this is the game where Peter Wilson does a somersault in celebration after the final siren.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
PurpleSneakers said:
If I'm not mistaken this is the game where Peter Wilson does a somersault in celebration after the final siren.

I'm pretty sure he did.
The MCG look like a cow paddock, that's all I remember

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
remember this game.
Taped in on our Beta machine.
Watched 4 - 5 times.

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
The Tigers found some good form in the second half of 1988. Starting with a win against the Eagles in round 10, The Carlton game in round 12 then Sydney 2 Fridays later. Lambert, Free were starting out,Hoggy was playing well, Michael Mitchell and both Pickerings had their best seasons.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Pickers35 said:
The Tigers found some good form in the second half of 1988. Starting with a win against the Eagles in round 10, The Carlton game in round 12 then Sydney 2 Fridays later. Lambert, Free were starting out,Hoggy was playing well, Michael Mitchell and both Pickerings had their best seasons.

Beat so,e good sides too. Came from 6 goals down to beat Melbourne. From memory Phil Egan played full forward and kicked 7 goals two weeks straight.

There was an unfulfilled talent.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Stats from this game.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1988/031419880617.html

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I remember this from the old southern stand. Impression of being played in mist compounded by what I assume would be less powerful lights made it all in sepia to my eye (and probably the effects of the financial markets long lunch which were the Friday norm in the greed is good eighties).

Is19,00 the correct crowd? We must have been boycotting big time that year.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
22nd Man said:
I remember this from the old southern stand. Impression of being played in mist compounded by what I assume would be less powerful lights made it all in sepia to my eye (and probably the effects of the financial markets long lunch which were the Friday norm in the greed is good eighties).

Is19,00 the correct crowd? We must have been boycotting big time that year.

Yeah, I remember those chalkie days at that old ASX.

Freezing cold mist that night as I mentioned before....we were heating each other up in the Southern Stand by getting excited with that great performance the boys put in for KB: ;D

TigerForce said:
My mate and I were there freezing in the Southern stand, in the middle of a congested group of Tiger supporters yelling like maniacs trying to heat each other up. ;D

I remember Pym had a purple patch in the last quarter. I'm surprised Ch 7 hasn't got this.....or don't want you to know they have?