2003 - Numbers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2003 - Numbers

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Great news to this Tiger supporter.

Numbers 17, 29 and 33 (prestigious tiger numbers) will not be used in 2003. :D

To see Hudson be given No. 17 in 2002 made my blood boil.

Blumfield will wear 13
Johnson 28
Jay Schulz 25
Fleming 19
Nicholls 26
Sipthorp 23

And Adam Houlihan will wear No. 44 (hopefully in Coburg Colours for 2003) - Adam you can run but you cannot hide

Source = THE fIGHTING TIGER BULLETIN - received in the mail today

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Apart from Benny Gale no one else springs to mind that made any of those numbers famous in recent times. Good no pressure :). Hope 13 is lucky for Blumfield ;).

I'm glad they didn't give guernsey 17 to Coughlan or Rodan. Make your own history guys.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
i agree no17 should never have been given to hudson :mad:.it was an insult to the great man let alone broderick.
keep 17 in wraps until the next player has earnt the biggest compliment that can be handed to a player playing for the richmond football club.
i would even make it a priority that no17 to be given to the capt of the club.
as for 29+33 both jumpers deserve the respect that obviously wasnt shown to no17 last year.
25 to shultz good move by the club.showing the lad that we rate him very highly.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Giving 25 to Schulz shows that we have a very high opinion of the kid, lets hope for his and our sakes that he lives up to all the talk and hype from Danny and Co.

Interesting to see Houlihan switch to 44, seems an odd choice, but seeing as he wore that number during his games with Coburg, perhaps it has some sort of meaning for him.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Adam wanted 44 because thats how many minutes of AFL football he played in 2002 and it gives him a clear objective for 2003 to play 45 minutes :D :D :D

Maybe the club got confused and thought they redrafted Trent Nicholls and gave Bill his old 26.

Numbers 13(Robert Powell), 28 (Scott Homewood)and 26 (Ezra Poyas) haven't seen to much ground time in the past 4 years so it should be a bit of a novelty this year :D

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
quote author=Rampaging Richo
Adam wanted 44 because thats how many minutes of AFL football he played in 2002 and it gives him a clear objective for 2003 to play 45 minutes :D :D :D

As long as it is 45 minutes for Coburg I will be very happy. Actually if he promises this I will buy a Coburg membership to show my true and humble appreciation ;)

A

admin

Actually if he promises this I will buy a Coburg membership to show my true and humble appreciation ;)
It would be great if everyone with a spare 25 bucks could support Coburg by buying a membership at their special rate offered to Richmond members.
I intend to, even though I can rarely get down to Melb to watch them.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
I am with you on this Rosy - for $25 bucks I will buy a membership - the cheque is in the mail as they say

A

admin

I am swimming against the tide a bit on this issue.

I agree with what mighty tiges said about a player making their own bit of history.

If you save a certain number as a captains number, it means that players would have to change numbers when they were given captaincy.
Most players prefer to go through their career with the number they have made their own.
Campbo wearing number 17 as captain wouldn't make me think any better or worse of previous players of that number, though it wouldn't seem like Campbo to me. Hudson wearing it didn't make me think any less of it either, more a non-issue to me really.

Our great players are remembered for their numbers, but I can't see how that is reflected on by the performance of a player 100 years down the track.
I think it would be an honour to give prestigious numbers to kids who the club has big expectations for, but that is a lottery still. Some will do the number proud, some won't.

You can't save every number that was ever worn by one of our heros.
Maybe for a year or two if it's not needed as with Knighters, but then it's time for someone else to try and make it his own.

I can't imagine any other player wearing number 12. The number we've shared the highs and lows with more than any.
One day someone will though, and whether they are a champion or a dud, it won't change the way we'll always think of Richo and #12 together.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
I have always thought of numbers on the back of footy jumpers as a bit like rego plates on your car - they are really there so others can see who you are.

Total crap to retire a number. Whilst it doesn't affect performance, it is good to see great numbers like 17, 29 and 33 running around.

A

admin

I have always thought of numbers on the back of footy jumpers as a bit like rego plates on your car - they are really there so others can see who you are.
Agree 100% RR. That's what I was trying to say. You got to the point straight away, while I travelled the scenic route, ha. ;D

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
I don't have any problem with the idea of temporarily retiring a number. IMHO think it's a way a club can show to a just retired champion that the loyal service he gave to the club over a long period of time is acknowledged and appreciated. A mark of respect if you like. Also takes away alot of the pressure a young kid would of got if the number was passed on straight away and with everyone saying he's got something to live up to wearing the "great" so and so's number.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Thanks MT that was what I was trying to say.

I am not suggesting that numbers be retired permantantly like in major sports in the USA (Baseball, Basketball etc) but I do think they should be retired until a player worthy comes along. A bit like Duncan Kellaway and No. 3. It was Flea's now it's Duncan's two very different players but two worthy players.

Paul Hudson was not worthy of wearing No. 17.

Think of it this way No 17 = Dyer, Richardson (Barry), Rioli, Broderick and then Hudson - hmmm I don't think so. It just doesn't fit.

I wouldn't be surprised in the next few years if Coughlan is given Knighters No. 33, seeing Knights was/is such a big rap for the kid. ;)

A

admin

Think of it this way No 17 = Dyer, Richardson (Barry), Rioli, Broderick and then Hudson - hmmm I don't think so. It just doesn't fit.
I don't see it that way at all. 4 of those players will probably always be associated with the number.  Huddo will vanish into obscurity, along with plenty of other players I'm sure have donned the number 17 or 3 or 29 etc.
They don't tarnish the number or effect how it's remembered imo.  They just disappear from memory.
Who else has played in number 3?  I've got a mind blank, oldtimers kicking in I think, ha.

P.S. Having said all that, at the time I thought it was unusual to give #17 to Huddo, but I spose they have to use whatever numbers are free at the time.

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
I agree with you Koalalill about duncan and flea making number 3 each their own but I wouldn't want Coughlan to change his number. If he had been given 33 at the start of his senior footy career or he requested it because it meant some significance to him then fine but as I said before let him make his own history in the number 24 guernsey.

On Hudson, he was given 17 because that was number he wore at Hawthorn and it was his dad's number from memory. I was more concerned about his form than the number on his back. With a new kid, it's pretty much guesswork whether he'll end up a star. If he does then that number will be associated with him. If it's a famous number then his name will be added alongside former champions who wore the same number.

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
Who else has played in number 3? I've got a mind blank, oldtimers kicking in I think, ha.

You'll have deano onto you about that rosy ;D.

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
Am I the only one disappointed with the Richmond Football Club in not giving any players the Number 17/29 and 33 to wear. What an absolute disgrace. Three of our greatest and most famous numbers wont be worn this year, and a whole generation of kids who go to the footy this year wont be able to continue a link with the past when they see these numbers running around on the ground.
I am so disgusted I even offer a link to the Richmond email address on my web page www.rhettrospective.com for people ot voice their disapproval.

A

admin

Am I the only one disappointed with the Richmond Football Club in not giving any players the Number 17/29 and 33 to wear.  
Hiya Rhett, Nah you're not the only one, ha.
As I stated before I can't see how what a player does in a number now reflects on what someone did when they wore it previously.
They are certainly nos to be held in high esteem, and I'd love to see the players in them do as well as the previous custodians, but I see no use in having them in the cupboard.
P.S. Love your site. Will study it tomorrow when I have more time.
Do you mind if I include it on the links page on this site?

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
It is a diiferent prespective on the argument you give Rhett and one that when I think about it has some merit.

But I cannot get pass my belief that the numbers in question are important and carry great significance to many Tiger fans. I wouldn't feel great if I was still wearing my old "duffle coat" (Am I showing my age?) that had numbers 8 on the back and 3 and 29 on the sleeves and those numbers were today being worn by players that didn't show the same tiger spirit that players who I admired showed. I wouldn't feel a link. The duffle coat would end up in the bottom of the cupboard.

Number 17 represents that greatest Tiger of them all and 29 is not that far behind. While 33 may not be as significant it is still a number worn by a great servant of the club who opitimised what a great clubman is. These numbers (IMHO) should be given to people who show the same qualities.

A

admin

These numbers  (IMHO) should be given to people who show the same qualities.

I don't quite understand how you'd do this Koalalil.

Would you save the numbers until a player shows certain attributes and then hand it over. To me that would be like making them be someone they're not. To have expectations of living up to another players standards. I'd much prefer someone like Cogs to make #24 his own than to change to 33 or 29 mid stream.

It would be interesting to see how the players felt about this. Most stick with the same number throughout their career and love that number.

I'm glad Jay has been given # 25. It's a lottery though, and if he turns out to be a dud I wouldn't see it as a reflection on Benny or the 25 people still have on their jumpers.

I can't see any way of orchestrating players numbers successfully, but maybe others can.