2016 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 Draft

mtench

Tiger Champion
May 9, 2007
WINCHELSEA
SkillzThatKillz said:
I like our approach to this post-season, considering what picks we had in the draft.

In : Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis, Bolton, Graham & Garthwaite.

Happy with what we rated as the best player approach with Bolton at our fist pick.

I believe that Graham was targeted midfielder pick and what we rated as best available also - bonus.

Garthwaite's kicking is servicable IMO - its just the kicking action that is awkward looking, however I'm sure this can be fine tuned a touch, though he likely won't ever be an elite kick.

Scharenberg or Walker as rookies would be good gets.
Yep couldn't agree more, a great crop of pick ups for the now and the future. Out of our draftees i'm most excited by Graham, his highlights are just what we/Cotchin needs. Already big bodied so should play games this season.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
spook said:
Graham can't kick over a jam tin but he's a brick sh!thouse, clean at ground level, uses it well by hand and is a good runner.
Haven't seen the kid play or virtually any of the U18 games bar the Grannie between Sandringham n the Bushies, so I'm coming off more than a low base, but just a question on Graham's kicking. Read in some of the profile stuff he's torn a quad at the end of 2015, had bugger all pre season but still managed to win the Larke medal in the state comp, then unfortunately tweaked it again at the end of this year.
Just wondering how much the dodgy quad would have affected his kicking prowess during this year? Surely he'd have lost a bit of power, I'd be surprised if a proper rehab n full time strength n conditioning system couldn't bring him up to at least some decent kicking capability.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
On Sproule I was told he kicked 6 or 7 last year in a game and looked like been anything, was very close to been dropped the last few games of the year, has just lost his way a bit atm, however has a lot of talent.

an_oxford_man

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
TigerMasochist said:
Haven't seen the kid play or virtually any of the U18 games bar the Grannie between Sandringham n the Bushies, so I'm coming off more than a low base, but just a question on Graham's kicking. Read in some of the profile stuff he's torn a quad at the end of 2015, had bugger all pre season but still managed to win the Larke medal in the state comp, then unfortunately tweaked it again at the end of this year.
Just wondering how much the dodgy quad would have affected his kicking prowess during this year? Surely he'd have lost a bit of power, I'd be surprised if a proper rehab n full time strength n conditioning system couldn't bring him up to at least some decent kicking capability.

We may have to look for improvement in his kicking elsewhere, TM. Although I do hope you're right and we see some rapid improvement on the back of the quad healing fully. Thankfully it's not his job to kick. He'll be in the mix for senior selection from the start and all he is to do is buy land from the confines of the stoppage or dish to our glamour mids. And if the opposition gets the pill at the fall, Graham is a bloke who can actually stick a tackle. Laid 16 of them in a SANFL reserves game in the backend of the year.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The scam continues. GWS converted picks 2, 15, 37, 39 into 2, 5, 14, 20. How long does this continue?

Mappa

Tiger Superstar
Jul 3, 2009
Till they win four or five flags and AFL is the dominant code in nsw and queensland.

Not in our lifetime

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Harry said:
The scam continues. GWS converted picks 2, 15, 37, 39 into 2, 5, 14, 20. How long does this continue?

Yep, absolute joke. At least they lost the trade with Brisbane, basically gave away the Berry pick for nothing.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Already posted in another thread bully but what do you think?

i really enjoyed picks 50-52 - all preemptive picks of players we may have wanted that left us with graham

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
fastin bulbous said:
Already posted in another thread bully but what do you think?

i really enjoyed picks 50-52 - all preemptive picks of players we may have wanted that left us with graham

I was relieved Himmelberg was off the board, put it that way. Not that I was totally against his selection but Graham is the type who gives maximum value for a 50+ pick. Much rather the Graham & Garthwaite combo than Himmelberg & any of the other mids selected between 53 & 76. Looking at the players selected between 53 & 60 (our original drafting position) I reckon the Saints would have opted for Graham ahead of Ed Phillips. That makes the Caddy trade a really good outcome for us.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Harry said:
farcical to say the least, a prelim side ends up with 2 picks inside the top 5 instead of top 15 including a free kick at pick 2......
it will happen every year unless Clubs boycott trading with them, the bidding system is another story.....
according to good 'ol Ralphy (HS) it's a fair system & it works well.
some "journo's" have even said it works well for all clubs, not sure how when it blatantly favours certain Clubs.....

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Harry said:
farcical to say the least, a prelim side ends up with 2 picks inside the top 5 instead of top 15 including a free kick at pick 2......
it will happen every year unless Clubs boycott trading with them, the bidding system is another story.....

according to good 'ol Ralphy (HS) it's a fair system & it works well.
some "journo's" have even said it works well for all clubs, not sure how when it blatantly favours certain Clubs.....
yet our Academy is under a different system so we couldn't bid on Kirby or Ratagulea had we wanted too.....

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Harry said:

Yes and under the academy rules GWS will be able to pick up Sproule as an academy rookie today despite having only pick 15.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
I was relieved Himmelberg was off the board, put it that way. Not that I was totally against his selection but Graham is the type who gives maximum value for a 50+ pick. Much rather the Graham & Garthwaite combo than Himmelberg & any of the other mids selected between 53 & 76. Looking at the players selected between 53 & 60 (our original drafting position) I reckon the Saints would have opted for Graham ahead of Ed Phillips. That makes the Caddy trade a really good outcome for us.
given that we clearly needed some work done on our list & that we'll be taking a key fwd in next yrs Draft i look at this Draft has half the turnover & next yrs completes the task, so will be interesting to look at this time next yr & see what we have done overall.
was good seeing us taking a chance on our 1st picks this yr & last yr. "fortune favours the brave"

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
caesar said:
Yes and under the academy rules GWS will be able to pick up Sproule as an academy rookie today despite having only pick 15.
i didn't realise that counted for rookie Draft & i assume PSD as well. it's as big a rort as anything else in global history!

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
SkillzThatKillz said:
Bombers have smashed it.

Skills, looking back at your post and unfortunately Essendon does seemed to have killed it:

1 Andrew McGrath
22 Jordan Ridley
31 Joshua Begley
42 Academy Kobe Mutch
63 Dylan Clarke

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
bullus_hit said:
Yep, absolute joke. At least they lost the trade with Brisbane, basically gave away the Berry pick for nothing.

What happened with the Berry pick?