2016 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 Draft

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Pick 52 Richmond - Caleb Daniel (South Adelaide)
167cm, 68 kg
Forward / Midfielder

My love for midgets seems to be growing by the year and perhaps I'm even suffering from the incredible shrinking man syndrome, but I have the highest respect for Caleb Daniel and what he's managed to achieve this year. Coming back from a lengthy stint on the sidelines he pulled on his Croweater guernsey and produced the most memorable 3 games of football I can recall at the u/18 carnival. I'll start by going over his stats, he averaged 20 disposals, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 goals and still managed to achieve that feat at the freakish DE of 92%. To top it off he registered 217 Champion Data points in round 5 which must be some sort of record for a midfielder at this event.

Now I'm not one to get too carried away with feats at the carnival, particularly when it involves sub 170cm players, but Daniel has taken this form all the way to SANFL seniors and has proven he won't be a pushover when playing against men. It's remarkable to think a 68kg lightweight can make an impact in senior football but Daniel has simply risen to every challenge thrown at him. Over the course of his 11 games he managed to average 17 possessions & 3 tackles, all done at 84% disposal efficiency, but more impressive was his finals campaign where he thrived under the intense pressure of cut throat football. In his first match against the Eagles he picked up 16 touches and hit the scoreboard with 2 majors, in week two he notched up 24 touches & 3 clearances, and in week three a further 20 disposals and 4 clearances. How is it possible for such a diminutive guy to produce such quality?

Having followed the career of Boomer Harvey it's clear to me that to make it at the highest level one has to have a flawless rap sheet. When it comes to Caleb Daniel I think he ticks off every key indicator. His aerobic fitness levels are on par with Billy Hartung so there will be absolutely no problem with running out games, his speed is good having run a 2.99sec/20 metre sprint and his agility is in the top 25%. There is of course the issue with weight but I feel with some careful management that Daniel can put on the required 5 kilos to truly become strong enough to compete with the bigger bodies.

Turning to his footballing ability, everything he does is bordering on silk. His handballing is elite and he rarely misses a target or picks a wrong option, his work this year would have made Diesel proud. His kicking is well above average and for a small guy he can kick long bombs from outside the 50 metre chalk. This is also complimented by his great spatial awareness, he is exceptionally adept at weighting his kicks to avoid oncoming traffic. As a true rover he also reads the play and can hit the packs at full pace, often using his agility to zig zag his way through enemy lines.

For some spending pick 52 is overs for a guy who has to confront the tide of history when it comes to being unconventionally short. He really only has Brent Harvey as a flag bearer and Boomer is a once in a generation player. But despite this I'm going to back him in to make the grade, he's only 3cm shorter than Jake Neade who recently played in a preliminary final so that gives me some sort of hope. Wherever he lands on draft day I'll be supporting him, it may only be as a rookie but provided he finds his way onto a list I'll be content in the knowledge that midgets still have a place in our great game.

That's a really enjoyable review, bully.

:clap

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
bullus_hit said:
Thanks for the kind words Kev but the reality is the club has become very insular when it comes to recruitment, my recollection of Phantom's experiences has put things into perspective. For any meaningful change to occur I think we need a radical overhaul, I also suspect that it will only come when the coach receives his marching orders. This year is a write-off so maybe change will happen sooner rather than later. Hardwick got his extension so he has one last roll of the dice, for me it's got to be top 4 or bust, anything less is just placing the club in no-man's land.

Hardwick should recognise that he hasn't been given the talent that he needs and should be throwing FJ and BH under the bus over it. If he doesn't he will be thrown with them. They should be reviewing this as an ongoing task and should acknowledge (and Hardwick should be communicating his thoughts on this to Gale and Peggy) that this area of the footy club has been a massive fail.

If Dimmas not doing this (but thinks it) then he doesn't have the cojones to be a senior coach.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Great wrap Bully, leysy was a doubter but you got him bang on.

Exactly right Posh. Well said.

If the club thinks Dimma stays because he can coach then by default the club must think it's the recruiting and list mgmnt that have massively failed.

Ergo FJ & Blair need to go.

FWIW the players need a fresh voice to regain confidence and spark ILHO. Dimma should go as well.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Leysy Days said:
Great wrap Bully, leysy was a doubter but you got him bang on.

Exactly right Posh. Well said.

If the club thinks Dimma stays because he can coach then by default the club must think it's the recruiting and list mgmnt that have massively failed.

Ergo FJ & Blair need to go.

FWIW the players need a fresh voice to regain confidence and spark ILHO. Dimma should go as well.

I agree 100% with all of that.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Great starting point for this years draft.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/15275976/knightmare-afl-draft-wrap-hugh-mccluggage-fire-north-ballarat-rebels

Pretty sure the McLuggage bloke may come with baggage.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yep, that’s him.

Pretty good. Doesn’t go into hyperbole and will go against the grain.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
does that dude work for any club? Also what happened to the other guy from a few years ago - clisby? or something like that.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
SCOOP said:
Yep, that’s him.

Pretty good. Doesn’t go into hyperbole and will go against the grain.

Said a certain McKenzie that plays for Richmond was destined for greatness.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Harry said:
does that dude work for any club? Also what happened to the other guy from a few years ago - clisby? or something like that.

Got a gig at Collingwood.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Got a gig at Collingwood.

Did he? Never knew that. I did hear that Mojo went to Melbourne.

Bully- as the list stands today. What area's can we fix short term and what can we build for ?

Rucks are most pressing but drafting doesn't solve that short term. For me, we missed Brodie Grundy so we have to get a ruck for 2020 and for 2017-2019. Two year stop gap. Nothing appears more obvious than Zac Clarke via free agency. I would be drafting and getting one on the rookie list every year for the next two. Must look into the state leagues.

We both dislike drafting rucks in the early rounds unless they are mobile and stand outs. I think that covers your position as well? So if nothing appears with our first pick (between 6-12 I think is the space we are looking at) then I think we need kicking skills in the midfield. Someone who can win it on the inside but isn't a butcher by foot. That's my profile for what I'm after. Your thoughts?

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
SCOOP said:

Bully- as the list stands today. What area's can we fix short term and what can we build for ?

Rucks are most pressing but drafting doesn't solve that short term. For me, we missed Brodie Grundy so we have to get a ruck for 2020 and for 2017-2019. Two year stop gap. Nothing appears more obvious than Zac Clarke via free agency. I would be drafting and getting one on the rookie list every year for the next two. Must look into the state leagues.

We both dislike drafting rucks in the early rounds unless they are mobile and stand outs. I think that covers your position as well? So if nothing appears with our first pick (between 6-12 I think is the space we are looking at) then I think we need kicking skills in the midfield. Someone who can win it on the inside but isn't a butcher by foot. That's my profile for what I'm after. Your thoughts?

We should keep an eye on my son's mate, Toby Wooler. He was the ruckman for Vic Metro U/16s last season. He's not unco like a lot of young rucks his size.

Playing as bottom age key forward change ruck for Oakleigh this year. Year 12 Scotch.

Only worry is he might not quite grow to 200CM, I think he is 196cm at the moment.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:
Great starting point for this years draft.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/15275976/knightmare-afl-draft-wrap-hugh-mccluggage-fire-north-ballarat-rebels

Pretty sure the McLuggage bloke may come with baggage.

;D

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:

Presuming we are talking about Colin Wiseby, he's now scouting for the Pies.

SCOOP said:

I mentioned earlier our ruck situation is precarious and it may well be a situation of grabbing a free agent like Zach Clarke, someone I was pushing for a while back. At least we have Chol on the list but realistically speaking, he's four years away and may even be used to plug other holes when Chaplin retires. Hartley has been asleep at the wheel lately, in fact the whole recruiting department has been negligent in the face of our big man crisis. Not sure why we didn't make a big play for Max Gawn when he was second in line to Jamar but that just sums up the current malaise.

For our first pick I think it will have to be a midfielder, will be watching Dylan Clarke with keen interest this year as he ticks many of the boxes you mention. Incidentally he's the brother of Kangaroo Ryan Clarke, his TAC finals form was impressive, can win the contested ball as well. Brandon Parfitt is another to watch, good carnival last year and is already playing senior football in SA.

As for talls, Harrison Macreadie is the pick of the litter however he's an Academy boy and will likely be picked up by GWS, something which is frustrating me lately, just think there's too much advantage being handed to the rugby states.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
SCOOP said:
Rucks are most pressing
Mate. C'mon. Mids. Two bulls, with talent.

It will be painful to see Tyson, Brayshaw, Petraccca and Oliver play for Melbourne on the weekend. We need two of those blokes.

And a ruck, no doubt. But you can muddle along without much of one if you have to. As you have banged on about for years, our midfield is being exposed.

bullus_hit said:
I mentioned earlier our ruck situation is precarious and it may well be a situation of grabbing a free agent like Zach Clarke
He might flourish given the number one job. Free agent: do it.

Not sure why we didn't make a big play for Max Gawn when he was second in line to Jamar but that just sums up the current malaise.
Tell me about it. (Lamby would have got Jack Fitspastic instead ;) )

For our first pick I think it will have to be a midfielder, will be watching Dylan Clarke with keen interest this year as he ticks many of the boxes you mention.
Big wraps on the boy. There are quite a few brothers available this year: Brayshaw, Hampton, Atley, Scharenberg.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
spook said:
Parfitt looked a beauty last year, Bully.

Yep, lovely penetrating kick, agile and strong. He's got short stocky legs like Jack Steven, something I really like because they tend to hold their ground better, Wanganeen was another with a low centre of gravity.