2016 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 Draft

isnt there a monster, snaky ruckman in the West we should take a long look at? Goddard?

easy said:
isnt there a monster, snaky ruckman in the West we should take a long look at? Goddard?

Not worth a top 10 pick in my opinion, would have perfect if we held our second rounder.

bullus_hit said:
Not worth a top 10 pick in my opinion, would have perfect if we held our second rounder.

thanks bull. we may get a priority pick yet ???

A mate of mine coached the juniors at Wodonga and reckons Joe Atley is a freak. One of the best juniors he has seen, a real inside bull. There is a younger Atley as well but Joe is the pick of all three apparently.

Bully, I think it's a given that we take Patrick Naish next year.

He's a 185cm 75kg back flanker, wonderful kick, got a huge wrap from Brenton Sanderson on the Draft Podcast. Will play Vic Metro as a under ager. There is no doubt we need this type.

Does it change what we do this year? And this years draft is super deep for midfielders. That lost Yarran pick is looking super important right now.

Broders said:
A mate of mine coached the juniors at Wodonga and reckons Joe Atley is a freak. One of the best juniors he has seen, a real inside bull. There is a younger Atley as well but Joe is the pick of all three apparently.

I see that he's playing for Bendigo Pioneers and not the Murray Bushrangers where Shaun played. I assume they moved?

Shaun has slotted in very nicely at a strong North side so it'll be interesting to see where Joe goes in the draft.

tigersnake said:
We have been consistent in keeping our first pick. So yes, I actually think we will use it on a kid. like we have the last 10 years.
Yep, off the top if my head the last time we traded our first pick was 2003 for Nathan Brown. Before IIRC it was Craig Biddiscombe.....

SCOOP said:
Bully, I think it's a given that we take Patrick Naish next year.

He's a 185cm 75kg back flanker, wonderful kick, got a huge wrap from Brenton Sanderson on the Draft Podcast. Will play Vic Metro as a under ager. There is no doubt we need this type.

Does it change what we do this year? And this years draft is super deep for midfielders. That lost Yarran pick is looking super important right now.

It's got to be best available and I suspect it will be a midfielder, and yes the Yarran picks have already derailed the rebuild. I think we have to get aggressive on the trade front, not super keen on trading Vickery given our lack of talls, but Griffiths may have some value. Would trade Vlastuin in a heartbeat, obviously Conca and you have to seriously consider letting go of Lids. This is serious folks, time for a clean out on all fronts. Only Hardwick remains given he's under contract, I'd also like to see how he goes with some decent cattle behind him.

bullus_hit said:
It's got to be best available and I suspect it will be a midfielder, and yes the Yarran picks have already derailed the rebuild. I think we have to get aggressive on the trade front, not super keen on trading Vickery given our lack of talls, but Griffiths may have some value. Would trade Vlastuin in a heartbeat, obviously Conca and you have to seriously consider letting go of Lids. This is serious folks, time for a clean out on all fronts. Only Hardwick remains given he's under contract, I'd also like to see how he goes with some decent cattle behind him.

Why trade Floss bully?

Barnzy said:
Because you can get solid hbfers who can't play midfield and lack pace in the 3rd round.

and what would we get for him? Unlikely to be a first IMO so better to keep hold.

The 4 that I think will get us the best picks and are tradeable are Lennon (pick around 20-25), Griffiths (not sure but hopefully somewhere around 30), Edwards (maybe an upgrade of a lower pick to Adelaides first) and Houli (maybe a high 2nd to a team that will play him on a wing). Its tempting to consider trading Vickery if we get a good enough offer.

I'd love to trade for Adam Tomlinson and maybe have a look at some of the other GWS kids. Tom Downie is an interesting young ruck too.

spook said:
He's memtioned in this, Rowdy, Brett Anderson's (Inside Footy) early big Board:

Venables sounds like exactly what we need. If we can get another, late first-rounder for someone like Vickery, Joe Atley sounds another who would suit.

20. Alex WITHERDEN
Ht: 186cm | Wt: 80kg | Geelong Falcons
The St Joseph’s product is just a solid citizen across half back, but he does have the scope to press into midfield as the year progresses to add another dimension to his game. He was a consistent performer last season as a bottom-ager showing good courage in the air, composure with ball in hand and a strong defensive game.

Sounds like our usual draftee.

Stylo said:
Why trade Floss bully?

Easily replaceable and that's the objective here. No chance of cutting in the midfield, solid citizen but the early calls that we have the next Hodge on our hands seems well over the top. I would love to fill the spine out this draft, not overly confident but sometimes gems emerge from the u/18 carnival. On that front we need a tall runner who can replace Chaplin, easier said than done but this is the blueprint for success, Clarkson style.

Still very unhappy with no second round pick but we have to work with what we've been dealt. There will be currency in Deledio and now is the time to make the difficult calls. Our demographic should be top 4, unfortunately this another false dawn, but I will lose total faith in the club if they don't make the necessary changes to get the club back on track.

bullus_hit said:
Easily replaceable and that's the objective here. No chance of cutting in the midfield, solid citizen but the early calls that we have the next Hodge on our hands seems well over the top. I would love to fill the spine out this draft, not overly confident but sometimes gems emerge from the u/18 carnival. On that front we need a tall runner who can replace Chaplin, easier said than done but this is the blueprint for success, Clarkson style.

Still very unhappy with no second round pick but we have to work with what we've been dealt. There will be currency in Deledio and now is the time to make the difficult calls. Our demographic should be top 4, unfortunately this another false dawn, but I will lose total faith in the club if they don't make the necessary changes to get the club back on track.

I'm with you on Vlossy. Easily should be able to replaced. This draft is full of midfielders. This is the one to get 2 extra picks inside 50 and finally build the midfield. Pure mids.

Not with you on Deledio. We just watched the oldest side ever win a flag, North Melbourne are leading the way with Dad's army, Shaun Burgyone is the model for BD3 to follow and we are in the best era ever of sports medicine and recovery. 30 is the new 25 in football.

If we build the midfield and allow BD3 to be a pure half forward, we can get another 120 games out of him. But if two picks inside 25 were offered, it would be hard to say no.

i dont want to see Lids traded out out for a couple of duds,
just dont trust our recruiters to pick anything decent atm

SCOOP said:
I'm with you on Vlossy. Easily should be able to replaced. This draft is full of midfielders. This is the one to get 2 extra picks inside 50 and finally build the midfield. Pure mids.

Not with you on Deledio. We just watched the oldest side ever win a flag, North Melbourne are leading the way with Dad's army, Shaun Burgyone is the model for BD3 to follow and we are in the best era ever of sports medicine and recovery. 30 is the new 25 in football.

If we build the midfield and allow BD3 to be a pure half forward, we can get another 120 games out of him. But if two picks inside 25 were offered, it would be hard to say no.

Lids has gone from the most durable player in the competition to one who will routinely miss 4-5 matches a year. To play another 120 games he'll need to be around for 7 seasons, can't see it myself.

Two top 25 picks will set us up for the next rebuild, the aim here is to challenge whilst we still have Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin & Rance. The clock is ticking so the best strategy is to pick midfielders in the draft, these player types generally require 2-3 years to make an impact. We need to target some key position players in free agency, I would start by picking at the Essendon carcass, Hurley my number one priority.

bullus_hit said:
Lids has gone from the most durable player in the competition to one who will routinely miss 4-5 matches a year. To play another 120 games he'll need to be around for 7 seasons, can't see it myself.

Two top 25 picks will set us up for the next rebuild, the aim here is to challenge whilst we still have Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin & Rance. The clock is ticking so the best strategy is to pick midfielders in the draft, these player types generally require 2-3 years to make an impact. We need to target some key position players in free agency, I would start by picking at the Essendon carcass, Hurley my number one priority.

I'm all for the mids. I'd prefer Vickery to walk via FA and trade Vlossy and keep Lids. That would generate two extra draft picks.

If we get these young mids and get them p to scratch by 21, Lids will be 33. Perfect age to play the complimentary forward. I just think he offers too much that we can't let go. We have zero pace, he's one of the only elite kicks. And he deserves to be a Tiger for life. He's also earned the right to walk away and chase a flag if he sees a better alternative.