2016 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 Draft

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Harry said:
What areas are sydneys brisbanes and gold coasts zones?

Seems GWS has the better deal.

Sydney have Northand South Sydney areas ie coastal. They also have the Illawara to the south and Central Coast, Newcastle, Hunter areas up to Coffs Harbour.

Assume GWs has everywhere else.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
TigerPort said:
Sydney have Northand South Sydney areas ie coastal. They also have the Illawara to the south and Central Coast, Newcastle, Hunter areas up to Coffs Harbour.

Assume GWs has everywhere else.

Yep including most of the Southern, Western, Eastern and Northern suburbs of Melbourne oh yeah and the rest of Victoria also.

More contrived than an episode of that pathetic Gogglebox *smile* with scripted actors on it.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
craig said:
Yep including most of the Southern, Western, Eastern and Northern suburbs of Melbourne oh yeah and the rest of Victoria also.

More contrived than an episode of that pathetic Gogglebox sh!t with scripted actors on it.

Seriously??? Scripted actors on Gogglebox??

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
craig said:
More contrived than an episode of that pathetic Gogglebox sh!t with scripted actors on it.
If you're foolish enough to turn that sort of crap on and watch it, then you ain't entitled to whinge n moan about it. Just kick back, close your eyes n think of England. Who knows you might even relax enough to start to enjoy it.

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
The AFL loves a complicated formula, so why not make the discount dependent on the amount of actual training the academy has put into the player? So players that have spent barely any time at the academy and only played a couple of matches there wouldn't attract a discount, but players who'd done their main development there would.

On second thoughts, GWS would doubtless find a way of rorting it and when exposed claim that it was 'rogue officials' and 'against club policy' so escape punishment.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
footballmonk said:
The AFL loves a complicated formula, so why not make the discount dependent on the amount of actual training the academy has put into the player? So players that have spent barely any time at the academy and only played a couple of matches there wouldn't attract a discount, but players who'd done their main development there would.

On second thoughts, GWS would doubtless find a way of rorting it and when exposed claim that it was 'rogue officials' and 'against club policy' so escape punishment.

LOL

Perhaps get the players to keep log books or write the amount of hours training with the academy - Similar to driving books the kids have to fill out

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
willo said:
I don't have an issue with the Academies either. As long as they're in non traditional football heartland areas. They can attract some discount on those players nominated and who they can show they've nurtured and supported during those formative years.
Just being able to nominate anyone and everyone with a smidgen of talent, do sfa and then draft them with a hefty discount, even if they come from strong, traditional, grass roots areas like the Riverina or live and go to school in Melbourne ( yeah I know one kid was deemed not GWS eligible, tokenism) etc is so absolutely a *smile* concept it smacks of collusion and corruption, from AFL House of course.

agree 100%
as i posted earlier & elsewhere as well they got a kid from Broken Hill that qualified as an academy kid yet my uncle had played footy there in the 70's.....

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
TOT70 said:
Most would feel this way. These kids are not kids that have been discovered through the existence of the Academies. They are kids who are already in the system who have been deemed eligible to be made available to GWS.

Where is the even playing field?

Personally, I think the best way to develop talent around the country is to give each club a metropolitan and a rural zone and make them responsible for growing the game in their area. All players should be able to automatically move onto the senior list of their AFL club, if they are good enough. Divide WA, SA, NSW and Queensland into two zones each and Victoria into ten zones. Let each club progress up to say 4 players each year into their AFL list from their zone.

The draft can then be for Tasmanian, NT and any players who were not taken by their club in their zone.

Of course, do this and the Sydney and Queensland clubs will plummet to the bottom of the ladder and probably stay there for years.

Let’s make no mistake. These Northern zones are purely about giving the Northern clubs an advantage over the rest of the competition to make keep them successful.
100% bang on!
bottoming out for Sydney is not making the 8 yet it's ok for Melbourne to be out of the Finals for a decade.....

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
Reckon we did as best we could given our picks and they may surprise a fee, hoping in years to come that people scratch their heads at how late Graham went in the draft and how unorthodox but capable Garthwaite is !

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Bump

Is 5 years long enough to look back in hindsight?

This is the 2016 PRE draft thread.
Actual draft starts at page 117

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bump

Is 5 years long enough to look back in hindsight?

This is the 2016 PRE draft thread.
Actual draft starts at page 117
2016 Draftees

Pick 29. Shai Bolton

I'm genuinely excited by this selection and in some ways can't quite understand how players like Ben Long & Cedric Cox were selected before Shai, I may be proven wrong but I think Bolton will eventually rise above these two once he gets some miles into the legs and puts on some much needed mass. He has all the tricks - speed, evasion, dual-sided kicking, leap & major scoreboard impact. His form in the All-Stars game was an excellent preview into what lays ahead and together with Daniel Rioli I'm predicting some serious indigenous magic to return to Punt Road. Pick 29 = Steal.

Pick 30. Josh Rotham (Yarran second rounder)

The cost of the Yarran trade will come back to haunt us, the sum total is now official - Riley Bonner & Josh Rotham. The fact that these guys can also play in Yarran's position is all the more galling, but I sincerely hope that lessons have been learnt. I personally rate Rotham a top 20 talent and had him placed at 15 in my rankings, the reasons for this were numerous. Firstly he possesses elite pace and presents as a genuine line breaker, coming in at 192cm this combination of speed & height is rare and could eventually translate to a midfield role. Rotham's leap is also elite and if he does cut it further up the ground then he'll be a very difficult player to match up on. Averaging 22 touches a game at Colts level there's enough evidence to suggest this isn't pie in the sky optimism. Rotham's disposal is also very good so it now becomes a question of building the tank and working on his defensive side, something which should occur with a couple of season's under his belt.

Pick 56. Jack Graham

Sometimes the cards fall your way and to have Graham available at pick 56 rounded out an excellent draft for Richmond. Our luck cannot be underestimated, Graham flew up to Brisbane and was interviewed two days before the draft, he was clearly in contention at pick 22, fortunately Brisbane had Cedric Cox ranked higher and the rest is history. To get a Larke medalist & state captain at pick 56 is highway robbery and with any luck this could well turn out to be our Andrew Swallow moment. Graham isn't without his flaws, his kicking can be scrappy but given he played with a quad injury throughout the year it's not unreasonable to expect some improvement with his depth and general accuracy. More importantly he's as tough as nails and is the type you want in a finals campaign.

Pick 72 - Ryan Garthwaite

The big knock on Ryan is his kicking technique, it's really the only aspect of his game that's forced him down the order, aside from that he's an excellent one on one defender and rarely gets beaten. The fact he can also rack up big possession tallies is a reminder that he's much more than than just a dour shutdown player in the Talia mode. In saying all this, there's no denying that his double handed ball drop needs to be refined so that he gets ball to boot much quicker. If this can be achieved then we have an AFL footballer on our hands. If not then it will be a case of a boom/bust pick which didn't quite pay off. Given our bigman stocks are perilously low I'm all for this selection and will be a keen observer with regards to modifying his technique.

PSD 6 - Kym Lebois

Just to set the record straight, I don't think Stengle is a bad pick and I give him some sort of chance of making the grade. In this particular instance I just happen to prefer Lebois because I feel he has more weapons and some extra versatility that may see him transition to the midfield. After the combine Lebois flew up my personal rankings, his speed is elite and he clocked in a faster repeat sprint time than Shai Bolton. On top of that his endurance testing was solid and he has the potential to increase that even further once he gets a few preseasons under his belt.

Now for a brief comment on using the PSD, as I've been advocating for a few years now, the preseason draft may be dead to some but this also presents as a huge opportunity to snatch the first pick in the rookie draft. It also provides a bit of a breather between drafts where one can analyse the pool and work out the best strategy in addressing list requirements. The fact that Maric is wasting a spot on the main list also deems the financial argument redundant. I'm ok with targeting a small forward this late because it's playing the odds to a tee, but I'd also want a guy who could feasibly replicate the feats of Charlie Cameron and eventually move up the ground. All things considered I'm not convinced that Stengle can do that and that's why I'd be taking Lebois at this point.

Rookie Draft Pick 6 - Peter Ladhams

We needed a key forward & we needed a ruck, given Zach Sproule got caught up in the Greater Western Swindle the only option as I saw it was to grab a player who could feasibly fill both roles. Ladhams has kicked goals at reserves level and has proven he's more than just a one dimensional tap ruckman. His athletic testing was also impressive, a 3.05sec/20m & a 13.6 beep which was a vast improvement on his early season numbers. With Vickery out the door Ladhams presented as the best option and should have been preferred over an ageing Maric. Those who feel tokenism is inconsequential need to consider the lost development time, particularly with rucks. A player like Ladhams is unlikely to lose value, even as a second stringer.

Rookie draft pick 24 - Luke Bunker

All I can say is don't give up on your ambitions Luke, unbelievably stiff to miss out despite performing well at the state carnival & at TAC level. The fact he's ranked in the top 25 by Champion Data speaks volumes. Bunker is the type I'd want for the Richmond reserves, in fact I hope we're making inquiries as we speak. As I understand he was contacted by half a dozen clubs but none called out his name on draft day. In this instance it just has to be some hard graft in the VFL and to take solace in the fact that Darcy Cameron & Willie Rioli finally realised their dream after 3 years in the wilderness.

Reactions: 2 users