2017-A time to stock up on Talls | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2017-A time to stock up on Talls

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
The more I hear and read the more I think Dan and his team have done exactly the right thing this year in concentrating on bolstering our, underwhelming, midfield group by trading in Prestia, Caddy & Nankervis. By all accounts with this years draft depth we still should be able to add a couple of decent players to compliment at 27 and even at 56?

But lets face it folks next year will be the chance to draft Jack & Rance generation next, (maybe even trade Jack next year for another 1st rounder giving us 3 ;D). It is why getting Geelong's 1st round pick next year was a massive bonus be it masterstroke or luck. I for one would not trade them out, (not even for Fyfe), and take all 1st rounders to the 2017 draft.

For the first time I can see an inkling of a plan from our recruiting department.

Below is article about the tallfest next year, enjoy:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-05/tall-prospects-head-latest-afl-academy-additions

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Trading future picks has added an extra dimension to the game. Next year I'm barracking for Richmond and whoever is playing Geelong.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
SkillzThatKillz said:
Fingers crossed Geelong have an underwhelming year

If both the Tiges and Geelong miss the 8 we'll have 2 top 10. Come on anyone that plays Geelong.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
spook said:
Trading future picks has added an extra dimension to the game. Next year I'm barracking for Richmond and whoever is playing Geelong.
Geez I have enough stress already following the tige's alone, barracking for Richmond and against Geelong in equal measure just adds another dimension!

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Noah Balta is a very exciting prospect and hopefully Brander gets cut loose from the clutches of GWS due to growing up in Victoria. If somehow we managed to get these two it would set us up for the next decade.

In light of this I'm really warming to Brennan Cox with our first in 2016, it's the old Hawthorn philosophy of sorting out the bookends first.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
What about Tyler Keitel if available especially as a rookie Bully the list needs another tall or 2 to balance it out.

Too many ruck type talls at VFL level this year not enough actual KP depth.

Maric, Nankervis, Soldo and Chol.

That leaves Elton and Moore only as Broad is more a BP 3rdb tall type as is Batchelor (if he stays).

The club will still have to take a couple of talls next year anyway you would think to replace Elton and Moore if they dont come on as well as Maric.

Get the talls right and in place then its easier to build your side around them.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Noah Balta is a very exciting prospect and hopefully Brander gets cut loose from the clutches of GWS due to growing up in Victoria. If somehow we managed to get these two it would set us up for the next decade.
Yes.

In light of this I'm really warming to Brennan Cox with our first in 2016, it's the old Hawthorn philosophy of sorting out the bookends first.
It's the old spook philosophy too. Cox at 27 and Begley at 56 would be perfect; Begley/Poholke at 27 and McCarthy at 56 almost as good.

craig said:
What about Tyler Keitel if available especially as a rookie Bully the list needs another tall or 2 to balance it out.

That leaves Elton and Moore only as Broad is more a BP 3rdb tall type as is Batchelor (if he stays).

The club will still have to take a couple of talls next year anyway you would think to replace Elton and Moore if they dont come on as well as Maric.

Get the talls right and in place then its easier to build your side around them.
Chol's not a ruckman. Will start out a (very tall) third tall, KP later.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
craig said:

I'm very open to recruitingg Keitel, he's probably the best state league prospect as far a KP defenders are concerned. I think it all depends on whether we make a play for a delisted free agent or opt for Cox with pick 27. If neither of these options are exercised then Keitel is the logical step.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Where do you see Chols best chance to develop into a key tall Spooker he has the physical attributes either forward or back and is a neat set shot would he be better developed like Swans did with Allir in the back half i know they sent him back a lot in the VFL this season past as the year rolled on.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
I'm very open to recruitingg Keitel, he's probably the best state league prospect as far a KP defenders are concerned. I think it all depends on whether we make a play for a delisted free agent or opt for Cox with pick 27. If neither of these options are exercised then Keitel is the logical step.

Cheers Bully ;)

Maybe Freo will snatch him due to their need to get some height in.

Interesting.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
craig said:
Where do you see Chols best chance to develop into a key tall Spooker he has the physical attributes either forward or back and is a neat set shot would he be better developed like Swans did with Allir in the back half i know they sent him back a lot in the VFL this season past as the year rolled on.
I think defence to learn the game suits him for now, craig. If he improves as much as I hope he can, he could be a forward.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
spook said:
I think defence to learn the game suits him for now, craig. If he improves as much as I hope he can, he could be a forward.

Cheers Spooks that's what i was thinking.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
mrposhman said:
If both the Tiges and Geelong miss the 8 we'll have 2 top 10. Come on anyone that plays Geelong.
i would toss at pick 18 and pick 1, just imagine winning the flag, and having pick one, pussys would super melt.

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
A mate of mine said that Brian Waldren told KB this morning that there are twins from Halebury College who could go picks 1 and 2 at this years draft. They are both tall and very athletic apparently.

Does anybody know who he is referring to and how accurate his claims are?

E

easy_tiger

Broders said:
A mate of mine said that Brian Waldren told KB this morning that there are twins from Halebury College who could go picks 1 and 2 at this years draft. They are both tall and very athletic apparently.

well, one's not going to be short and slow.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
easy said:
well, one's not going to be short and slow.

07twins.jpg