2017-A time to stock up on Talls | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2017-A time to stock up on Talls

E

easy_tiger

bullus_hit said:
5-10 and yes, he'd be a good fit. Think he's a genuine ruck/forward in the making, more ruck at this stage but he's kicked 6 in the TAC and also kicked the winning goal last week. All-Australian as an under-ager.

ta bully. so a realistic/possible target?

The arrival and age bracket of Nankers puts us in an interesting slot I reckon.

Go early on a bloke like this and him and nankers are gonna have significant overlap in the prime years.

I'd like to see us go with a genuine ruck sized KPF kid with our first.

203/93 is a monster 18 year old. kicked goals, rucked and AA as a bottom ager? fits my bill, in theory.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
caesar said:
Might have to lower expectations on Talls this year they will go early and there are not many of them:

Callum Twomey's 25 player's to watch from under 18 champs is now up on AFL website. In it he says in a year light on for talls-------
How things change in a year :(

Theoretically, if the quality talls are gone at say our 1st pick 12? do you go next best tall even if our recruiters have him ranked 30 or best available?

I would do the latter, which would still leave us bereft of talls.

No wonder we were trying to scavenge someone else's young talent, Schache.

We will trade in a stop gap for sure which is hard to get excited about.

Seems the pundits are always claiming it's a light year for talls. To put things in perspective, Todd Marshall was the first tall picked last year, the only tall in the first round. That is a light year.

This year we have -

Brander 1-3
Ballenden 1-10
Hayes 5-10
Balta 5-15
Clavarino 10-25
McClean 10-30

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
bullus_hit said:
5-10 and yes, he'd be a good fit. Think he's a genuine ruck/forward in the making, more ruck at this stage but he's kicked 6 in the TAC and also kicked the winning goal last week. All-Australian as an under-ager.

Interesting comparison to last year with Tim English (203cm 86kg).
He was rated to go in the top ten (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-phantom-draft-2016-the-top-50-mock-picks/news-story/6ca3a4b7d10331c3a6d9ed5c9222a48e) but was only taken at the priority pick 19 by the Bulldogs.
He played his second game the other night after debuting against St Kilda before their bye last week.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I see Twomey has Will Sutherland in his short list, don't know a lot about this kid but the wraps are decent. 195cm and 90kg, good size for a key forward.

RedanTiger said:
Interesting comparison to last year with Tim English (203cm 86kg).
He was rated to go in the top ten (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-phantom-draft-2016-the-top-50-mock-picks/news-story/6ca3a4b7d10331c3a6d9ed5c9222a48e) but was only taken at the priority pick 19 by the Bulldogs.
He played his second game the other night after debuting against St Kilda before their bye last week.

I see Hayes as more of a natural forward, don't think English will ever be a serious goal kicking threat.

E

easy_tiger

bullus_hit said:
I see Twomey has Will Sutherland in his short list, don't know a lot about this kid but the wraps are decent. 195cm and 90kg, good size for a key forward.

I see Hayes as more of a natural forward, don't think English will ever be a serious goal kicking threat.

195/90 is pretty much perfect I reckon. Richo-sized.

I reckon we want a forward who can ruck rather than the other way around.

Nankers has changed our landscape. Recruiting masterstroke.

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
spook said:
We need to sack up, pay up and trade up for pick 1. Brander will be a champion.

If we could I'd prefer we did this as well spook. A gun key forward to build the side around. We need to bolster our KPP stocks so they are coming into their prime as Riewoldt and Rance exit the scene

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Giardiasis said:
3 first rounders?
At least two, and something else on top. Pick 2 might do it actually. Brisbane is pretty set for talls and could go for Fogarty. Our current indicative picks (15 & 16) equate to pick 4 in points value.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I like Balta too. Reminds me of Trent Croad. If we can't get Brander he'd be a good consolation prize. Will come on faster than Hayes, already a powerful lad.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:
I like Balta too. Reminds me of Trent Croad. If we can't get Brander he'd be a good consolation prize. Will come on faster than Hayes, already a powerful lad.

That's a really good call Spook. I said he reminds me of Darcy Moore. Similar types. If we keep our current picks Balta is my priority thus far. And Cerra. Although there are two other boys I'm very keen to see their carnivals. Cam Rayner and Hunter Clark. Clark has jumped up and I reckon he could be top 10 by the end of the carnival. Wonderful off both feet and calm with the ball.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
bullus_hit said:
Depends if we land Reid, I think he must be a priority. Watched the game last night and despite the fact he wasn't dominant, he's still capable of taking a strong contested mark. For me I would look at something along these lines.

Reid - free agent
Balta/Hayes - first rounder
Higgins, Petruccelle, Cerra, Raynor - first rounder
Naish - F&S

Hey Bullus just on getting Naish our two third rounders everyone keeps saying will get him don't seem to hold enough points especially should a bid come around the #20 pick. Even higher if he plays well in the junior champs.

It will cost us in carry over points to the 2018 draft if that was to happen as our 4th round pick would be very light on for points and not much help.

Could we trade one of the first rounders for a couple of the Suns second rounders and make sure we can get Naish

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
spook said:
At least two, and something else on top. Pick 2 might do it actually. Brisbane is pretty set for talls and could go for Fogarty. Our current indicative picks (15 & 16) equate to pick 4 in points value.
Need to be a good player on top, sounds mighty expensive.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
bullus_hit said:
Seems the pundits are always claiming it's a light year for talls. To put things in perspective, Todd Marshall was the first tall picked last year, the only tall in the first round. That is a light year.

This year we have -

Brander 1-3
Ballenden 1-10
Hayes 5-10
Balta 5-15
Clavarino 10-25
McClean 10-30
There is a kid at Bris academy Jack Payne who plays CHB but is a strong overhead mark and good kick he might be able to play FWD

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Giardiasis said:
Need to be a good player on top, sounds mighty expensive.
Would you trade picks 15+16 + a decent player for an 18y/o Nick Riewoldt? I would.

SCOOP said:
That's a really good call Spook. I said he reminds me of Darcy Moore. Similar types. If we keep our current picks Balta is my priority thus far. And Cerra. Although there are two other boys I'm very keen to see their carnivals. Cam Rayner and Hunter Clark. Clark has jumped up and I reckon he could be top 10 by the end of the carnival. Wonderful off both feet and calm with the ball.
I like Rayner a lot. Not a real fan of Clark, but I haven't seen him this year.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
TigerPort said:
Hey Bullus just on getting Naish our two third rounders everyone keeps saying will get him don't seem to hold enough points especially should a bid come around the #20 pick. Even higher if he plays well in the junior champs.

It will cost us in carry over points to the 2018 draft if that was to happen as our 4th round pick would be very light on for points and not much help.

Could we trade one of the first rounders for a couple of the Suns second rounders and make sure we can get Naish
we got a couple of players that can't get in the 1's they may request a trade (Lennon has already done this) & Miles might be the other) we could trade into the 2nd round for this purpose.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
bullus_hit said:

Only problem with Sutherland is he has yet to decide between footy and cricket so no guarantee to nominate. Is son of Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland.

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
SAM Hayes can play

he is young .............let me say again he is young developing ruck fwd

he will take time ............2-3 years!!!

but I would take him in a heart beat .....................but 17 others clubs would too

a risk because of the time to develop him

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
bullus_hit said:

My main point was that, like English, he may fall a bit out of the top ten.
Recruiters also seem to be a bit leery of these type of players who are a bit in between. ie forward/ruck.
They seem to tend more to the type of player who is definitely a tall forward or defender.

E

easy_tiger

RedanTiger said:
My main point was that, like English, he may fall a bit out of the top ten.
Recruiters also seem to be a bit leery of these type of players who are a bit in between. ie forward/ruck.
They seem to tend more to the type of player who is definitely a tall forward or defender.

I dont reckon an 18 yo 203/95 is in between anything.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
spook said:
Would you trade picks 15+16 + a decent player for an 18y/o Nick Riewoldt? I would.

of course you would. but there is no way the club with pick 1, or 2, will give it up for 2 picks in the teens and a 'decent' player.