2017-A time to stock up on Talls | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2017-A time to stock up on Talls

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
bullus_hit said:
I see Twomey has Will Sutherland in his short list, don't know a lot about this kid but the wraps are decent. 195cm and 90kg, good size for a key forward.
Something in today's ? Hun about Sutherland. Been playing only private school footy, no TAC yet still selected in the Vic metro squad for the carnival which is apparently a bit unusual. Guess they rate his talent n the AFL honchos would love to be able to poach the son of a cricket grand poobah away from the white flannels n hit n giggle.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
TigerPort said:
Hey Bullus just on getting Naish our two third rounders everyone keeps saying will get him don't seem to hold enough points especially should a bid come around the #20 pick. Even higher if he plays well in the junior champs.

It will cost us in carry over points to the 2018 draft if that was to happen as our 4th round pick would be very light on for points and not much help.

Could we trade one of the first rounders for a couple of the Suns second rounders and make sure we can get Naish

Don't think it will hurt us. The 20% discount will account for the lion's share of the points.

bullus_hit said:
Importantly in the Naish scenario, say a bid comes in at pick 25 (756 points - 20% = 604), that would equate to pick 43 (378 points) & pick 61 (131 points) = 509

I also believe that the deduction will come from a like for like pick. If Naish drifts out to the second round our deduction will occur there. If it's a first rounder then it shouldn't be too catastrophic. Maybe a couple of spots in the top ten as a worst case scenario.

TigerMasochist said:
Something in today's ? Hun about Sutherland. Been playing only private school footy, no TAC yet still selected in the Vic metro squad for the carnival which is apparently a bit unusual. Guess they rate his talent n the AFL honchos would love to be able to poach the son of a cricket grand poobah away from the white flannels n hit n giggle.

I hope he comes on, could shake up the draft order in a major way.

mtench

Tiger Champion
May 9, 2007
WINCHELSEA
TigerMasochist said:
Isn't they're a couple of talls/brothers/twins as well that some believe are top 10 material that are playing school footy?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
spook said:
Would you trade picks 15+16 + a decent player for an 18y/o Nick Riewoldt? I would.
Depends on who goes for those picks, if it meant giving up a future Alex Rance and Callan Ward or Zach Merritt and Rory Lobb or Jack Darling and Luke Parker with Brandon Ellis on top then no. I don't know enough but the draft to say either way, and I'm doubtful Brandon Ellis would get it done.

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
I hope we don't overlook a midfielder just for the sake of picking a tall.

Our midfield still isn't good enough. If they're even talent level, go tall for sure. I have no idea if there's any good midfielders that will be in the 10-15 range though.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Barnzy said:

Our midfield still isn't good enough. If they're even talent level, go tall for sure. I have no idea if there's any good midfielders that will be in the 10-15 range though.
Yep been thinking the same thing, mid or tall has to best available , crucial we have a good FA , trade week period , get the needs covered and hopefully have to first rounders to pick best available .

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Key Backs - Rance , Astbury and a promising Garthwaite. Grimes and McIntosh can paly tall

Key Forwards - Jack , Grif dosent look like getting back, Elton not up to it, Moore unlikely, Chol talented but does he have the desire.

Rucks- Nankervis, Hampson just about done, Maric done, Soldo improving.

Obviously a second key forward is a must if they can ruck it's a bonus, Reid as a FA has to be an option and can play both ends an Ruck.

Ruck, I don't see it as crucial to recruit another if we ad a fwd/ ruck , there's always a handy one gettable in the trade period if needed. Not as big a priority for me.

Plenty of options have been mentioned, I just wonder if there's an A grade KPF out there who is gettable ?

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Barnzy said:

Agree.

Let's not choose a good tall over an excellent mid just because of our poor list management.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:
of course you would. but there is no way the club with pick 1, or 2, will give it up for 2 picks in the teens and a 'decent' player.
Depends how they rate the player, Brods. Melbourne traded picks 2 and 20 for 9 and Dom Tyson. What if the club involved had already stocked up on young talls (Brisbane, Carlton) and preferred two mids plus a decent player than one tall? What if the decent player were Nick Vlastuin?

I'm just spitballing. I want Brander.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
mtench said:
Isn't they're a couple of talls/brothers/twins as well that some believe are top 10 material that are playing school footy?
Next Year 2018 Draft

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
Cast your minds back to last year and our site was full of indecision about whether to draft Hurley from Essendon. Gee he'd be handy right now. Point was arbitrary because he resigned but the debate shows how everyone has strong beliefs about drafting. Sure the recruiters have the same debates.
Hindsight wonderfull but players like Charlie Dixon and Josh Bruce smart forward planning. Don't wait until you're desperate is the smart play

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
year of the tiger said:
Well we got Nanks for a bargin - surely there is another out there who can't get a game.

Luck. Not planning. We'd be following Storm if Nanks wasn't left out of the G.F. That's not forward planning

E

easy_tiger

Blind Turn said:
Luck. Not planning. We'd be following Storm if Nanks wasn't left out of the G.F. That's not forward planning

so Nank was luck, and Yazz and Hammer was incompetence? :headscratch

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
easy said:
so Nank was luck, and Yazz and Hammer was incompetence? :headscratch
Yes, Hammer was gross incompetence. He was an injury prone spud at Carlton and nothing has changed.

Yarran (by all accounts) can be put down to the RFC not doing "due diligence".

E

easy_tiger

tigertim said:
Yes, Hammer was gross incompetence. He was an injury prone spud at Carlton and nothing has changed.

Yarran (by all accounts) can be put down to the RFC not doing "due diligence".

yeah, ive heard that narrative quite a few times.

But Nankers was just blind luck?

Under 'hiding to nothing' in the dictionary, they should have a picture of the PRE masthead.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
easy said:
yeah, ive heard that narrative quite a few times.

But Nankers was just blind luck?

Under 'hiding to nothing' in the dictionary, they should have a picture of the PRE masthead.
Narrative? If you can explain to me the difference how Hampy performed at Carlton and how he's performed at RFC I'd be grateful.

E

easy_tiger

tigertim said:
Narrative? If you can explain to me the difference how Hampy performed at Carlton and how he's performed at RFC I'd be grateful.

your missing my point.

which is

recruit doesnt work out = gross incompetance obsessed about on PRE for years (still plenty of J mcmahon refs)

recruite works out = luck.

alls im saying is, whoever hired Nank is an unconditional genius who should be given a decade extension, and carte blamange budget.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
easy said:
your missing my point.

which is

recruit doesnt work out = gross incompetance obsessed about on PRE for years (still plenty of J mcmahon refs)

recruite works out = luck.

alls im saying is, whoever hired Nank is an unconditional genius who should be given a decade extension, and carte blamange budget.
I see it differently.

You can have dumb "luck" or good "luck". Of course your "luck" will increase if you do your due diligence. If said player was always a terribly skilled player at the previous club chances are he,ll be terribly skilled at the next club. If said player has "personality flaws" chances are those "flaws" will carry over to the next club. If new club chooses to overlook the "ability" or "flaws" then the responsibility lies with the club.

And of course if said player isn't an injury prone spud with poor skills or isn't a player with "personality flaws" then the chances of them succeeding at their next club will be greater.