2017-A time to stock up on Talls | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2017-A time to stock up on Talls

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
easy said:
your missing my point.

which is

recruit doesnt work out = gross incompetance obsessed about on PRE for years (still plenty of J mcmahon refs)

recruite works out = luck.

alls im saying is, whoever hired Nank is an unconditional genius who should be given a decade extension, and carte blamange budget.

Where the element of luck came into it is that if Nankervis wasn't dropped for the G.F do you think he would have left the Swans for more opportunity?
It didn't seem pre planned as it was such a late trade with jelly beans swapped. That's blind luck and our good luck . It's not forward planning

E

easy_tiger

tigertim said:
I see it differently.

You can have dumb "luck" or good "luck". Of course your "luck" will increase if you do your due diligence. If said player was always a terribly skilled player at the previous club chances are he,ll be terribly skilled at the next club. If said player has "personality flaws" chances are those "flaws" will carry over to the next club. If new club chooses to overlook the "ability" or "flaws" then the responsibility lies with the club.

And of course if said player isn't an injury prone spud with poor skills or isn't a player with "personality flaws" then the chances of them succeeding at their next club will be greater.

yeah we see it differently.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Blind Turn said:
Where the element of luck came into it is that if Nankervis wasn't dropped for the G.F do you think he would have left the Swans for more opportunity?
It didn't seem pre planned as it was such a late trade with jelly beans swapped. That's blind luck and our good luck . It's not forward planning

Just on the point of planning.
Did some checking and.......

McKenzie resigned on June 30, 2016.
Chaplin resigned on July 19, 2016.
McBean delisted on August 31, 2016 (first delist date I think).
Vickery traded on October 9, 2016 (third day of free agency).
First trade period begins on October 10, 2016.

So the plan was those four talls were out with no replacements taken.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
One tall taken, obviously.

And Nahas played taller than Chaplin (and possibly, vickery)
Obviously losing Hampson and Griffo early on has exposed our depth.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
RedanTiger said:
Just on the point of planning.
Did some checking and.......

McKenzie resigned on June 30, 2016.
Chaplin resigned on July 19, 2016.
McBean delisted on August 31, 2016 (first delist date I think).
Vickery traded on October 9, 2016 (third day of free agency).
First trade period begins on October 10, 2016.

So the plan was those four talls were out with no replacements taken.
I don't think that was the plan at all. Balme made it ĉlear that we tried to do a few deals and they fell through and we decided not to do a deal for the sake of it and take the risk in 2017.

I would have thought the risk was too great (and so it has played out) and posted at the time that I wished we had taken at least a mature ager. I still do but I am pretty sure we didn't enter the trade and draft period expecting to have such a shortage of talls.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Blind Turn said:

Sorry BT but there were rumours on here middle of last year that we were interested in Nankervis. Was certainly a case of forward planning.

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
WesternTiger said:
Sorry BT but there were rumours on here middle of last year that we were interested in Nankervis. Was certainly a case of forward planning.

Rumour on PRE? Must be true. Sorry

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Blind Turn said:
Rumour on PRE? Must be true. Sorry

Yeah bet no truth to it as it doesn't fit your argument so has to be *smile*. Someone must have just pulled a rucks name out of their arse mid year and linked them to the RFC...

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
WesternTiger said:

Rumour or wish list? There's always plenty of the latter here in a winter of discontent.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Was stupid enough to do a quick search on the Nank. Apart from some early discussion as a draftable junior, there wasn't anything I could see on the possibility of us chasing him discussed until Aug / Sept last year. Hardly what could be considered forward planning, more like disappointed fans rummaging around in other clubs scrap boxes desperately hoping to find a feel good toy to mollify us until the season ended n we could all dream of trade n draft happiness.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
TigerMasochist said:
Was stupid enough to do a quick search on the Nank. Apart from some early discussion as a draftable junior, there wasn't anything I could see on the possibility of us chasing him discussed until Aug / Sept last year. Hardly what could be considered forward planning, more like disappointed fans rummaging around in other clubs scrap boxes desperately hoping to find a feel good toy to mollify us until the season ended n we could all dream of trade n draft happiness.

I for 1 are pretty happy you couldn't find anything on us chasing him

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
taztiger4 said:
I for 1 are pretty happy you couldn't find anything on us chasing him
Would that be because the club had secretly been in his ear all year, trying to sneak him closer to home? Should have told him to tank better n we'd have got him for a pick in the nineties.

Or are u just happy I couldn't work the search properly n found pretty much SFA.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
TigerMasochist said:
Would that be because the club had secretly been in his ear all year, trying to sneak him closer to home? Should have told him to tank better n we'd have got him for a pick in the nineties.

Or are u just happy I couldn't work the search properly n found pretty much SFA.

the former

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
taztiger4 said:
the former
Excellent, a no leak scenario. Nicely done by the Tiges n should be more of it.

So who have we really been snooping around while everyone thought we were up Schache's clacker? Promise I won't tell anyone.

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
TigerMasochist said:
Excellent, a no leak scenario. Nicely done by the Tiges n should be more of it.

So who have we really been snooping around while everyone thought we were up Schache's clacker? Promise I won't tell anyone.

Keeping the secret was the easy bit. Convincing Sydney to drop him for the GF so that he felt the need to look at other opportunities was the hard bit. Well done Tigers!
Teams are constantly talking to player managers about players. Getting it done is another matter. Getting it done before you are desperate is forward planning.
See what I just did. Got my argument back on track!!

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:
Would you trade picks 15+16 + a decent player for an 18y/o Nick Riewoldt? I would.
I like Rayner a lot. Not a real fan of Clark, but I haven't seen him this year.

Clark is so good below his knees at pace in traffic. One touches it regardless of the surrounding, I want to see what his kicking skills are like when he has time.

But the fact that he is so clean in traffic has me intrigued. And he reads the ball so early he gets to the contest first.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Blind Turn said:
Keeping the secret was the easy bit. Convincing Sydney to drop him for the GF so that he felt the need to look at other opportunities was the hard bit. Well done Tigers!
Teams are constantly talking to player managers about players. Getting it done is another matter. Getting it done before you are desperate is forward planning.
See what I just did. Got my argument back on track!!
I'd like to think karma is at play here. We gave Sydney Morton for a throw-away pick as a sign of good will. Sydney should be a team that feels trading with Richmond is about doing the right thing where everyone wins.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
would biclavs of geelong be getable, mobile big man whom could play 50/50 ruck with nankervis and give us that second tall in attack changing equally at centre half forward,geelong would be open for a first round pick and we have the room in our cap.

mtench

Tiger Champion
May 9, 2007
WINCHELSEA
jokershoppe said:
would biclavs of geelong be getable, mobile big man whom could play 50/50 ruck with nankervis and give us that second tall in attack changing equally at centre half forward,geelong would be open for a first round pick and we have the room in our cap.
Would rather Stanley

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Both Blicavs and Stanley are 27 at the start of next season - wouldn't want to give up too much for either of them, certainly not a first round pick.