2019 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2019 Draft

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Port have given up a shitt load of picks including next years first rounder (most likely pick 8 or 9) for picks off brisbane this year.
They enter into this years draft with 3 picks between 10-20.
Apparently they have done this because they want Mead"s kid.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Given that we have several core players in their 30's or close to their 30's, from a succession plan point of view, if our recruiters can succeed in bringing in some quality young players in the upcoming draft it could well set up the club for sustained success for the next several years at least. Up until 3 years ago I used to have significant nervousness/trepidation leading into the draft but nowdays I look forward to the draft with much more confidence in our recruiters. The RFC has of course 5 picks in the top 56 and 4 picks in the top 41. It appears that there are 5 spots available on our main list. If the club drafts 5 players and 3 or 4 of those players turn into regular senior players in due course that would be a fantastic achievement. Hopefully the club will draft a key tall defender because we seem to be a little thin in that department.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Gws have swapped pick 6 and next years first rounder for Adelaide's pick 4.(2019)
Not sure you give up a future first rounder to only go up 2 places.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Gws have swapped pick 6 and next years first rounder for Adelaide's pick 4.(2019)

No, you don't but you probably do to get a live first round pick and also Green for picks less than he's worth. Good deal by the Giants but I'm interested to know whether there has been any side deals by Melbourne to overlook Green at pick 3.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
No, you don't but you probably do to get a live first round pick and also Green for picks less than he's worth. Good deal by the Giants but I'm interested to know whether there has been any side deals by Melbourne to overlook Green at pick 3.

Strong mail is regardless who picks Green he will end up at punt rd.

• Love

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
LOL Carlton - this would have been Carltons deal if they didn’t trade the pick for Stocker

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Richmond have been very quiet in the trade period and so far I have seen nothing much in the media of their intentions in the draft so they seem to be keeping other teams guessing .

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Personally i would be looking to trade out next years 2020 1st rounder with North for their 2 picks #26+#27
trade #56+#39 to Hawks for #30
trade #38+#41 to Fremantle for #22

Go all in this year and pick 5 kids
#19 + #22 + #26 + #27 + #30

2020 we have Ethan Baxter & Maurice Rioli Jnr so we can just kick back and watch the draft from punt rd

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Personally i would be looking to trade out next years 2020 1st rounder with North for their 2 picks #26+#27
trade #56+#39 to Hawks for #30
trade #38+#41 to Fremantle for #22

Go all in this year and pick 5 kids
#19 + #22 + #26 + #27 + #30

2020 we have Ethan Baxter & Maurice Rioli Jnr so we can just kick back and watch the draft from punt rd
Sounds like it might be a plan. Got a feeling though that there's not another side in the comp that wants anything to do with helping us improve our hand n strengthen our future.

First three rules of anything to do with AFL clubs is white ant, white ant n undermine any club thought to be in a position of strength. Most clubs more than content with the easy option of trying to chop the legs out from under an opposition, rather than busting their proverbials to improve themselves.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Given that we have several core players in their 30's or close to their 30's, from a succession plan point of view, if our recruiters can succeed in bringing in some quality young players in the upcoming draft it could well set up the club for sustained success for the next several years at least.

That's one model, the other is Clarko's model where he willing traded picks for players with proven ability that would fit nicely into is team. Probably starting to catch up with them but they've still got a half decent squad when they're all on the park.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
That's one model, the other is Clarko's model where he willing traded picks for players with proven ability that would fit nicely into is team. Probably starting to catch up with them but they've still got a half decent squad when they're all on the park.

Baloo i would hate for us to use the Clarko model you described above.

Imagine us trading out a Edwards, Cotch, Jack etc .

I dont think thats how we operate . My thoughts.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

We'd get over it pretty quickly if it meant we kept winning Premierships.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We'd be stupid to use the Clarko model, sure it worked for them in thier era but now they are just another middle range team with a Super coach that the media drool all over every time they have a win, personally would prefer to keep adding to the next wave we have coming through, guys that can replace the stars we have now in the coming yrs when they decide to walk away etc. where we are now is the perfect time to do it as they'd be able to develope in the VFL till ready & not be expected to come in & star in yr 1.

Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

Yep, they call themselves the family club, bloody quick to move on their Champions

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Keep bringing in kids.
Clarkson will leave hawthorn like Frawley left us in 04.
Hawthorn are currently built to stay away from flags and wooden spoons, theyre somewhere in the middle.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Yep we have the recruiting down pat at the moment, and also the development of the kids is good. Keep bringing them in.

Use free agency to solve any specific needs

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We'd be stupid to use the Clarko model, sure it worked for them in thier era but now they are just another middle range team with a Super coach that the media drool all over every time they have a win, personally would prefer to keep adding to the next wave we have coming through, guys that can replace the stars we have now in the coming yrs when they decide to walk away etc. where we are now is the perfect time to do it as they'd be able to develope in the VFL till ready & not be expected to come in & star in yr 1.

I reckon this is critical. Look at the way Carlton have to use their draft picks so young, they will be worn out before long. We currently have the luxury of being able to develop young players and bring them into the seniors when they are ready. If we recruit well we can do this for a long time.

DS

Reactions: 4 users