2019 Grand Final Match Day Thread - Richmond v GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2019 Grand Final Match Day Thread - Richmond v GWS

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
I saw that too. What a prick. He even called Pickett's handball a throw.

There were plenty of suspect handballs. The whole final series was a showcase of them, from Selwood's over the head rugby passes to Rioli's open handed scoop to Dusty for that goal. All teams do it, and it has to be pretty obvious/advantageous (and actually spotted) to be called nowadays.

Healy is just an opportunistic bandwagoner. Early nineties he was criticising the crows handball technique, then after they won a gf he was hailing them and saying 'long live the crow throw' suggesting it was a superior technique (taught to them by ex hawk Tony Hall).

Anyway, Healy is an 'expert' don't you know (as is: an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under under pressure)

Reactions: 1 user

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Just a blast from the PRE past here, wanting to congratulate you all on an amazing win on Saturday.

It was simply the most fun I've ever had at the footy. Imagine a Richmond supporter winning a flag without any stress! It's like those two concepts just don't belong together - and yet here we are. I know every other footy fan will have hated such a lopsided GF ... and that makes it even sweeter. They really do hate us now. It's wonderful!

When I first ever posted on PRE, I think we were in the midst of a coach hunt that ended with T.Wallace at the helm. And quite obviously, that was already decades into a life of dead ends, embarrassment and pessimism. One more didn't mattter that much. After all, it had kind of become who we were. We had a role to play in the big AFL screenplay - the vaudevillian laughing stock with pie on its face. We played it perfectly.

And then some folk called Gale, O'Neal and Hardwick flipped the script. We won one - from nowhere. 2017 was a release of pent up anxiety the likes I've not known. I cried like a baby when Prestia kicked the sealer in the last. When non-Tiges friends told me they knew it was done when Lambert put us 26 points up in the 3rd quarter, I confided that this moment only brought on utter dread as my old Tiger identity sought to convince me that it was really gonna hurt when we lost from there.

The siren blew to end our demolition of the Crows and, all of a sudden, we were relevant. We mattered. We were annoying, but only the kind of annoying that comes when a mate wins big at the races or pokies. "Bloody hell, can you believe Richmond won?" they'd say with all the incredulity of a Scott brother watching a Selwood have a free paid against him. It was a one-off, a fluke. Soon, we'd be typed back to cast.

But we weren't. And, despite the blip of the 2018 Prelim, we supporters were gifted a deserved celebration on this September Saturday just gone. This one wasn't about a flag -- and it wasn't a relief or luck. This was vindication, reward and a metamorphic emergence into the spring sunshine. In a moment, our collective identity changed. We became a new kind of Richmond supporter. One that barracks for the most dominant, connected, progressive, honest, enviable, vulnerable and thoroughly gargantuan sporting movement in the country.

The word in our amazing song that I always heard loudest was 'bold'. I never felt bold as a Tiges barracker. For decades, I felt meek and sheepish about my footy club. When people hung it on me after another calamitous loss, I'd join in and resort to self-effacing humour to survive the humiliation.

And yet, here we stand now as the team that backs its system when others resort to tagging, as the club who embraces firstly Dusty and then Sydney Stack and now Marlion Pickett and turns them into Richmond men. We take risks so well these days. More often than not, it's our authentic boldness that prompts both these decisions and they're success. It's so admirable.

That I got to boldly smile at my friends and family in the second quarter on Saturday and say "We've got this mob" is testament to me now watching the game through different eyes. I'm emboldened. Everything about us is different now.

Long may we remain in this state. Geez it's good to be a Tiger. Enjoy!

Reactions: 20 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
And then some folk called Gale, O'Neal and Hardwick flipped the script. We won one - from nowhere. 2017 was a release of pent up anxiety the likes I've not known. I cried like a baby when Prestia kicked the sealer in the last.

I was pretty much gone with Lambert's sealer in the last quarter of the Qualifying Final.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Second work account lockout this week. I keep typing 2019 instead of 2017. Now changed.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Probably been mentioned, however I haven’t heard it talked about and that is the fact we got to wear it traditional strip, awesome to go along with the alternative in 2017

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Flicked back through this thread....in match comments only filled 4 pages....a PRE record low? Was there another thread or waw everyone justifiably sitting back and smoking the cherry?
BTW Hoppers post one excellent summation of the soul of a tiger fan.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Loved when Dimma said prior them coming out.
“If we play our brand no one can go with us”.

‘Words to that effect’

Last edited: