2019 Premiers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2019 Premiers

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
After watching the 1st quarter of the 1980 Grand Final, nothing has changed, the umpires are shafting us, and Copingwood are their darlings.

Yep spot on
And if Cloke had kicked straight in that qtr game was all over even earlier before qtr time than it was.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
After watching the 1st quarter of the 1980 Grand Final, nothing has changed, the umpires are shafting us, and Copingwood are their darlings.
But isn't it great to see the Chokers again. Sad fact about that game is that our Tommy is their coach.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Geez, you're right, just looked at the 1980 stats:
Free Kick percentages for the whole season: Collingwood 125.24%; Richmond 81.96%
Free Kick percentages for Finals: Collingwood 143.12%; Richmond 80.65%

The umpires have loved Collingwood forever, you would think they could have won more than 4 flags since 1936!

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Geez, you're right, just looked at the 1980 stats:
Free Kick percentages for the whole season: Collingwood 125.24%; Richmond 81.96%
Free Kick percentages for Finals: Collingwood 143.12%; Richmond 80.65%

The umpires have loved Collingwood forever, you would think they could have won more than 4 flags since 1936!

Collingwood +213 (first in frees for and last in frees against)
Richmond -175 (last in frees for and second in frees against)

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Bit of a dumb request.

You know that weekly Jeep 5 best moments countdown?
I am referring to the 2019 Grand Final moments countdown in particular.
In 2017 was very easy to do.
This time around you can only view it online (and it can't be saved as far as I can see).
Is there an easy way of saving that to a phone or computer?
Can any tech heads out there create a downloadable version for us diehards here, Please?
It goes for 4 minutes 57 seconds.
I need the 2019 one so I can save it next to the 2017 one.
I also have the Jeep highlights from the Geel and Gws Finals of 2017.

Thanks in advance, fellow Tiger Tragics!

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Geez, we really broke GWS.
Players have resorted to wearing bras at training.

Capture.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The 2019 as great as it is a bit like beer in a can , yep it’s good but not as good as a Stubbie and nowhere near as good as fresh out of the tap

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
The GF itself was like winning a Kyneton maiden, but the run that got us top 4, and the first two finals, were international Group 1 level.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The 2019 as great as it is a bit like beer in a can , yep it’s good but not as good as a Stubbie and nowhere near as good as fresh out of the tap
Fresh out of the tap comes from a serious big can, n if the bastards don't clean their lines properly tends to taste like *smile*.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I'm surprised the netball, rugby league and AFL premiers haven't joined together for some kind of group photo all having home grounds in Richmond.

Reactions: 3 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I'm surprised the netball, rugby league and AFL premiers haven't joined together for some kind of group photo all having home grounds in Richmond.

Great idea.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Geez, with those stats the Grand Final must have been close, surely Richmond just fell over the line ;)

DS

Tigers had rising stars in Lee, and Weightman, plus Disco, Cloke, Raines, Jess, and Wood at their peak we also had Wiley, Keane, Monteath, Bourke and Rowlings, Dunne and of course the great KB.

Role players in Smith, Welsh, Mount, Landy, and Strachan very handy players also.

Great list we had then, throw in , BT, Colin Waterson, and Bruce Tempany, Wayne Shand, Matty Wall and Michael Nugent and "Jacko" who were handy juniors at the time.

They had no chance they were the worst of the contenders that year from memory and got GWS'd accordingly.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Tigers had rising stars in Lee, and Weightman, plus Disco, Cloke, Raines, Jess, and Wood at their peak we also had Wiley, Keane, Monteath, Bourke and Rowlings, Dunne and of course the great KB.

Role players in Smith, Welsh, Mount, Landy, and Strachan very handy players also.

Great list we had then, throw in , BT, Colin Waterson, and Bruce Tempany, Wayne Shand, Matty Wall and Michael Nugent and "Jacko" who were handy juniors at the time.

They had no chance they were the worst of the contenders that year from memory and got GWS'd accordingly.

I remember that team well, 1982 was a travesty and we should have won. Imagine if we still had Tommy as coach by 1980, another dynasty could have been ours. Club was pulling itself to pieces in the 1980s and we end up with 3 lost decades.

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I remember that team well, 1982 was a travesty and we should have won. Imagine if we still had Tommy as coach by 1980, another dynasty could have been ours. Club was pulling itself to pieces in the 1980s and we end up with 3 lost decades.

DS

Tigers missed Malthouse and losing gun young FB Stephen Pirrie to his ACL a few weeks before the finals also hurt us, then of course Tempany busted his arm.

We were a bit slow down back with Martello, and Dunne without Pirrie, and Tempany off injured.

The Blues with their little blokes Ashman, Buckley, Glascott, the Dominator, McConville, Harmes and Sheldon were hard to contain led by Fitzpatrick , Hunter, and MaClure.

Bosustow, Doull, Ditchburn, Marcou, Maylin, Bortolotto, Perovic, Wells and Jones, they were a damn good side the Blues hence back to back flag winners.

The height of Carlton arrogance those years, I remember vividly the arrogance of Carlton fans and will never forget it.

Martello retired and left and Pirrie was done his knee was cooked.

Then of course we also lost Wood, Cloke, Raines. Stephen Mount went to WA after the GF loss also.

After the end of the 1983 season Tempany, Malthouse and KB retired, Rob Wiley went home to WA, Shane Williams went to Geelong., we also lost Terry Smith to the Saints for a few years and last but not least Emmett Dunne left to go to Footscray for the remainder of his career.

Merv Keane and Peter Welsh both retired in 1984 and BT left and went to the Filth.

Others players obviously frustrated by lack of opportunities over those couple of years also left at the wrong time such as Ian Scrimshaw who left after 1981 no doubt still dissapointed after being omitted for Daryl Freame in the 1980 GF after playing regularly in 80 and also in the finals series wins prior, Colin Waterson, and Andy Preston, were a couple of others as were a few of the more promising juniors like Michael Lockman and Wayne Shand.

That squad from 79 -82 was decimated and nigh on gone especially by the end of the 1983 season.

Maurice Rioli, Barry Rowlings, Greg Strachan, Graeme Landy, Disco Roach, the Ghost, Lee and Weightman were the only GF/ premiership players of note kicked around after 1984 at the Tiger's into the mid 80's and 90's (Lee Weightman and Cloke for 2 years after returning from Collingwood) both Landy and Rowlings retired after the 86 season.

Should've been a dynasty but the arse fell out of the joint in 18 months losing established stars, and many of our better juniors and others to premature retirements.

Who knew after the 82 GF pain we would enter a bleakness of 35 years.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Who knew after the 82 GF pain we would enter a bleakness of 35 years.

Good question!
Answer: Nobody - it just happened didn't it
Thank god we've had these last few years to tuck all "that" back into context as just one of those things that happens (for 3 and a half decades)

BTW - your full post was a good read too.
And I must confess I'd forgotten all about Steven Pirrie's bad luck at the end of the season