2020 AFL Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 AFL Draft

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
We'll pick the eyes out of the draft again, we got Shai with pick 29
Don’t be surprised if we trade it for a 1st rounder next year. Plenty of clubs will be chasing it even at 25 to get deals done. Gold Coast swapped pick 11 this year for a similar range pick in the 20s last year from Geelol to get Sharp.

Reactions: 1 user

Letsroar

Tiger Matchwinner
May 19, 2014
No expecting a lot of action from the mighty tigers this year

Has it been confirmed the minimum number of picks that we must take this year yet?

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
No expecting a lot of action from the mighty tigers this year

Has it been confirmed the minimum number of picks that we must take this year yet?
3 - chance we redraft English and/or Turner as one of these picks

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yeah I think the best thing we can do is trade up this year and then load up on picks next year.

Above to me is best case scenario, probably doesn't play out like this but all trades seem feasible to me and would put us in a great position going forwards.
Great strategy mr P.
3 clubs could be looking to downgrade the 1st pick
Dogs for Ugle
Blues for Saad
Dons for Caldwell.
I,d be keen to trade for qn early first rounder

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Remember too that all clubs except North will be looking to trade into next years draft.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Remember too that all clubs except North will be looking to trade into next years draft.
#lolnorf would be desperate to get into this years draft, but they delisted most of their players n have nothing much left to trade with.

I know it's probably harsh, perhaps even cruel on the boys but #lolnorf would be the ideal club to try n steer a Lego or Higlett to in a trade for some of their future picks.
#lolnorf get some ready made young players who've come from a high quality system n we'd get some quality early picks next year, as there's not going to be much of anything in this years draft but massive speculation. Win win for both mobs.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The point about north is they ve delisted so many that they,re armpit deep in this draft.
Most other clubs would prefer to flip this years picks into next.
So it makes it hard for us to do the same

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We aren't going to get the big key forward we need at out spot. Too far back, any KP pick will be long odds.

But you could get a solid B grade mid. I think that's the way to go.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We aren't going to get the big key forward we need at out spot. Too far back, any KP pick will be long odds.

Any thoughts on Nik Cox? Terrific result in the 2km

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The point about north is they ve delisted so many that they,re armpit deep in this draft.
Most other clubs would prefer to flip this years picks into next.
So it makes it hard for us to do the same

I think you are right, there won't be many teams willing to flip at the minimum 1st round picks next year. The Dogs are still an option with later picks IMO, in order to pick up a few more points for JUH.

North may well want to split some picks (not Pick 2) as they only have 3 picks inside the top 60. They will get one back for Brown, but they've already dropped so many from their list. Now they could topup with players delisted by other clubs before they planned to because of the drop in list sizes, think players like Fraser Turner, or they may be prepared to split picks. If we can use the Higgins trade to get us a pick between 20-30 then I'd be looking to trade up to either Carltons (they need to split their pick for the Bombers), North or the Dogs (to get more points for JUH).

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Any thoughts on Nik Cox? Terrific result in the 2km

Again, I've seen nothing this year besides highlights and my own research so my thoughts count for even less than normal.

Cox athletically is a like not many we've seen before. Extraordinary athlete for 200cm and 80kgs. Running ability like a mid, 6.05 for 2km.

But name me a player he compares to? If he ends up 205cm and 90kgs can he be a ruck considering he has had limited time there.

Can he be a tall defender like Harris Andrews? Does he turn into a tall forward like Joe Daniher? Does he become the first 2 meter wingman?

I don't know. I think defender is his best go. He's exciting but I'm glad it won't be us fighting it out. And he sure as hell isn't a Noah Balta.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

All the more reason to pitch for the Blues 7.
No way do they use it for Saad, they want to knock it down to 15.
Our first this year plus ....
Pay overs if we have to, its our best shot at a low pick for the next 5 years

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Due to the significant level of speculation with so many of the young'uns this year, I would be happy to load up on next year's draft.

- Take players late this year seeing as we have an amazing recent track record with late/rookie picks, Rioli to be picked up late too;

- Markov, Higgins and any others trade for picks next year;

- package up our first this year with maybe our 2nd or 3rd round for a 1st rounder next year. This could work for a team who will have a highly rated academy or father/son pick for draft points
Collingwood trading their next years' 1st rounder so they won't have to use it on Nick Daicos who will likely be a top 3 selection.

Maybe we can offer to take Treloar off their hands for THEIR 1st round pick ;)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah I think the best thing we can do is trade up this year and then load up on picks next year.

Current Picks 21, 35, 60 and 78

Higgins and Pick 35 for 17 and Saints 2nd 2021
Markov and Richmonds 2nd 2021 for Gold Coasts 2nd 2021
Pick swap with Dogs, Pick 17 and 21 for 14 and Dogs 2nd 2021 (helps them with picks for JUH. I'm not sure how many players they anticipate drafting but I think JUH is bid on at Pick 2, they are off Pick 2 matching at the moment.

Thats leaves us with 14 (best available), 60 (MRJ) and 78 (Baxter)

2021 would look great with this hand though.
1 1st (Richmond)
3 2nds (Gold Coast, Saints, Bulldogs)
1 3rd (Richmond)
1 4th (Richmond)

If we can get a FA next year then our list rebuold on the go continues as planned and keeps us well involved at the pointy end of the season for a significant period.

Above to me is best case scenario, probably doesn't play out like this but all trades seem feasible to me and would put us in a great position going forwards.
Love it. It probably won't happen but this is exactly what we need to be doing. & to be fair none of those trades are asking for unrealistic outcomes either.

Our list management is in fantastic shape but realistically KPP's both forward & back & elite mids are what we need to ensure we don't go down a hole with Cotchin, Martin, Astbury, Riewoldt going down. Exactly the types of positions we'd want to use some early picks on

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I think you are right, there won't be many teams willing to flip at the minimum 1st round picks next year. The Dogs are still an option with later picks IMO, in order to pick up a few more points for JUH.

Port apparently next year have a academy/zone kid so are open to trading it.
Plus they need a pick for Fantasia. Their r2 isnt enough.
But our r1 which will be 25 +

So trade our first this year for Ports first next year. And maybe some later round swaps to even it out.

We then get 2 first rounders next year, ours and Ports, in a strong draft year.

Port get Orazio without overpaying

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Port apparently next year have a academy/zone kid so are open to trading it.
Plus they need a pick for Fantasia. Their r2 isnt enough.
But our r1 which will be 25 +

So trade our first this year for Ports first next year. And maybe some later round swaps to even it out.

We then get 2 first rounders next year, ours and Ports, in a strong draft year.

Port get Orazio without overpaying
The rules for academy picks change next year, academy players bid on inside top 20 go to that club so no point Port trading next years' 1st rounder IMO and certainly not with us.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Tom Powell is building on me. Has knocked up the ball at will at SANFL U 18.

PRESEASON TESTING RESULTS:

Standing Vertical Jump – 71cm
Running Vertical Jump (R/L) – 88cm/89cm
Speed (20m) – 3.04 seconds
Agility – 8.35 seconds
Endurance (Yo-yo) – 20.5

2020 SANFL U18s stats: 4 games | 34.5 disposals | 3.0 marks | 4.3 tackles | 10 clearances | 6.0 inside 50s | 3.3 rebound 50s | 0.3 goals (1

Might midget at 180cm at 74kgs. Could be another Prestia type. Footballer not an athlete.