2020 AFL Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 AFL Draft

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
Now thats a good question and not one I've seen an official answer about.

For example, if the Pies bid on Reef McInnes this year after their 1st 2 picks, they will need to carry a deficit into next year. If they then trade their 1st rounder out during the draft what happens then? I know that if they trade it out in next years trade period then that will be the revised pick (ie. post the deficit) but if they do it in the same draft I don't know if that would have already been assumed to have occurred. Its an interesting one.
I would assume that the order gets set before you can trade it out.
E.G. I they had pick 15, then minus the defict it becomes pick 20, then they are trading pick 20 out.
If they had traded the first round pick the next year, it would become the next time they use 1st round pick.

But this is the AFL so who knows.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I'm very interested in what Essendon does at 7, 8, 9.

First and major point of pressure - EFC is selling its masses on the very draft choices it got in exchange for much needed talent that is departing.

So there is pressure, sales pressure, to keep those draft numbers at 7, 8, 9. Not to say long stories can't be told of how the AFL robbed Esserden again and whoa be we, but better to keep the message simple. "We got 7, 8, 9, (three top-ten picks) for outgoing talent and took three champions." Simple unchanging message.

Adrain Dadoro. Is IMO one of the worst selectors of junior talent in the past 20 years. As for his brinkmanship and high handedness at the trade table I think that's good. I like that. Everybody else is whingeing, Dadoro must be winning.

There's a view that Dadoro will cut his nose off to spite his face, well, we get a little test of that in this draft.

You see, Dadoro should pick Braeden Campbell at 7. Has to pick him if he slips there. I believe he would be mad to. And many believe that the next best player that will slide to 7, 8, 9, is Lachie Jones. Again I believe he would be mad to take Jones.

Because if Dadoro takes Campbell and Jones they still go to Sydney and Pt Adelaide. No profit for Essendon. But the cost is that Esserden then has picks 9, 10, 11 to sell to its masses.

There is strategic value in forcing up the currency price of Campbell and Jones - Essendon hurts its enemies Sydney and Port Adelaide. But even if that strategic value is quantifiable I'd argue it's negligible.

If Dadoro is the kind of bloke who cuts his nose off to spite his face he should bid on those two tied players. (Throw in MCInness.) And lose them and push his club's sales tools down in value. Push 7, 8, 9, down to 9, 10, 11.

If he's smart he's doing backroom deals with each of these clubs right now. On not bidding.

Esserden's real problem lies in the kind of player Dadoro will bring in. But that's another story.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I really hope we draft Winder at 17

Best athlete in the draft pool, great mark, gets loads of the ball, kicks goals, tackles.

Id be pretty happy with him too.

But ive never been less invested in a draft as this year?

maybe because I've hardly been sober since October?

or maybe its because, MRJ aside, I feel like we could draft the fattest, slowest, laziest, shortest (toughest) kid in the pool,

and mould him into just another premiership 22 enigma?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if the plan is see who is around at our pick, if not what we want then could we trade with Adelaide? We have picks 17 and 36 and they have 22 and 23. From a points perspective thats in our favour as our picks are worth 1527 and Adelaides are 1660 however looking at when they will be taken the points flip, with ours (I've assumed 20 and 35 - 1434) and Adelaides at 27 and 28 (1380) so possibly a fair swap if theres someone that the Crows want.

Below in Twomeys article, he says that the Crows have looked at moving up the order by packaging up those 2 picks so could be a good option for both clubs.

Might be where the links to Kolar or Allison come in as they look to be later picks than our Pick 20. The other benefit for us trading for these 2 picks is it becomes even more unlikely that MRJ will be bid on before our 2nd pick.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I feel like we could draft the fattest, slowest, laziest, shortest (toughest) kid in the pool,

and mould him into just another premiership 22 enigma?
There might be hope for me yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I wonder if the plan is see who is around at our pick, if not what we want then could we trade with Adelaide? We have picks 17 and 36 and they have 22 and 23. From a points perspective thats in our favour as our picks are worth 1527 and Adelaides are 1660 however looking at when they will be taken the points flip, with ours (I've assumed 20 and 35 - 1434) and Adelaides at 27 and 28 (1380) so possibly a fair swap if theres someone that the Crows want.

Below in Twomeys article, he says that the Crows have looked at moving up the order by packaging up those 2 picks so could be a good option for both clubs.

Might be where the links to Kolar or Allison come in as they look to be later picks than our Pick 20. The other benefit for us trading for these 2 picks is it becomes even more unlikely that MRJ will be bid on before our 2nd pick.
Doesnt it give more opportunity for clubs to bid on MRJ?
And who would we get at 27 and 28 comlared to 20?

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

This is very possible and i have suggested that would be my preferred option as the players that are available at our pick would not really be a priority (but nice to have Carroll / MaCrae) But #17+#36 for #22+#23 would make more sense if our priority was for talls like Allison/Kolar/Treacy/McMahon

We have done this before with pick #15 for #20+#25 when we selected Balta & CCJ

Reactions: 5 users

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Back in the days of yore, teams would get their draft position relative to where they finished on the ladder.

Nowadays each pick is a permutation ping pong ball rolling down the throat of the fairground clown.

Cal Twomey or any of these Phantom Drafts made sense back when but now they are nothing more than wishful pantomimes that pass the time.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Ive got a feeling we'll pick a kid nobody has heard of with our first.

haven't read any credible intel on our pick whatsoever

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Adrain Dadoro. Is IMO one of the worst selectors of junior talent in the past 20 years.

I agree cap'n

I read an article the other day (didnt check the authorship, but its safe to assume it was Matthew Lloyd), debating the greatest pick no.1 ever, and they discussed Andrew McGrath :rotfl2

unrelated to Dodoro, but I was thinking about the '09 draft yesterday without realising it.

my heart rate increased, and that when I realised I was thinking about it.

Remember swans tried real hard to swap us maybe pick 6 and 10 for pick 3,

so they could take Dusty?

as a sliding door moment, that's about as big as it gets in a Richmond persons life.

Would it have been Francis Jackson who laughed maniacally and told the Swans to get *smile* between fits?

Reactions: 1 users

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
I agree cap'n

I read an article the other day (didnt check the authorship, but its safe to assume it was Matthew Lloyd), debating the greatest pick no.1 ever, and they discussed Andrew McGrath :rotfl2

unrelated to Dodoro, but I was thinking about the '09 draft yesterday without realising it.

my heart rate increased, and that when I realised I was thinking about it.

Remember swans tried real hard to swap us maybe pick 6 and 10 for pick 3,

so they could take Dusty?

as a sliding door moment, that's about as big as it gets in a Richmond persons life.

Would it have been Francis Jackson who laughed maniacally and told the Swans to get *smile* between fits?

with which the swans selected gary rohan and lewis jetta :vomit:vomit:vomit

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
with which the swans selected gary rohan and lewis jetta :vomit:vomit:vomit

now theres a sweet little twist.

the cast of Dusty The Musical

Tom Scully, Jackson Trengove, Gary Rohan, Lewis jetta,

Tom Stewart, Patrick Dangerfield, Tex Walker

and of course, Dustin, Ralph, Dimma, Emma, Peggy and Trent

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
now theres a sweet little twist.

the cast of Dusty The Musical

Tom Scully, Jackson Trengove, Gary Rohan, Lewis jetta,

Tom Stewart, Patrick Dangerfield, Tex Walker

and of course, Dustin, Ralph, Dimma, Emma, Peggy and Trent

Big sliding doors moment for the RFC but also a big sliding doors moment for Dustin himself. I wonder if he would have achieved the excellence that he has with us elsewhere? Would they have had a Cotch to take him under his wing, a coach that backs him in to take the game on when he sees fit, Emma who helps keep him grounded. I do wonder what might have happened to his career had he been drafted elsewhere.

Dusty was a great fit for the RFC but I also think the RFC was a great fit for Dusty too.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Big sliding doors moment for the RFC but also a big sliding doors moment for Dustin himself. I wonder if he would have achieved the excellence that he has with us elsewhere? Would they have had a Cotch to take him under his wing, a coach that backs him in to take the game on when he sees fit, Emma who helps keep him grounded. I do wonder what might have happened to his career had he been drafted elsewhere.

Dusty was a great fit for the RFC but I also think the RFC was a great fit for Dusty too.

Yeah i tend to agree. At melbourne or north, he would have been like Degoey or Dangerfield.