2020 AFL Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 AFL Draft

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We will take minimal picks. Clarke said as much on the podcast.

Trades will be for future picks.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Wouldn't most clubs have the same approach?
ie Minimum changes. Stick with the players they know. Prefer future picks not this years picks.

Only North and Bummers will load up on players.
Even the Suns probs will take the minimum

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Just looking at the values and the Dogs predicament with JUH. Maybe they are the ones to trade with.

If Adelaide bid on JUH with Pick 1, its 3000 points of which they get a 20% discount so need 2400 points.

Dogs have picks 12 (1268) 36 (502) and 48 (302) for a total of 2072 points, a deficit of 328 points. They could take the deficit into next year which would come off their 1st next year, if they finished in the same position as this year, their Pick 12 would become Pick 20.

If we offered them our 3 picks that amount to 1739 points this would give them plenty to play with. In all reality they probably wouldn't need our Pick 55, so could just be 19 and 32 for Pick 12. In a normal draft probably not the best deal but bearing in mind we will find it tough to drop our list size as we seem to rate most of our players, then I'd think it makes sense.

Personally think we may only take 1 pick plus MRJ so our aim needs to be getting that 1st pick as high as possible. If MRJ is bid after Pick 55 we get to use our last pick in the draft on him. If before then, we can do the same and take a small deficit into next year as its unlikely he will be bid on in the 1st 50 from what I've seen.
The same idea is to trade with Carlton.
They need to trade for Saad and currently have pick 7, which is too high a price.
So they split 7 into 2 late first rounders.

Our pick (18 or 19) and next years first.
In points they would then owe us their 3rd rounder

This would give us a shot at someone like Zach Reid - 202cm defender, or Lachie Macrae,s brother, or Archie Perkins power midfielder.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Will be lucky to get a pick before 25. Time to get creative.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Young key position forward Logan McDonald 196 cm's is one to look out for. He made his senior debut in the WAFL last week and kicked 3 goals and backed that up by kicking 4 on the weekend. Don't know what the chances are of him being available with whatever pick we end up with, but by all reports he will be a star.

I haven’t taken a look at any juniors this year but we’ve got to get a tall Key forward and a Talk key defender through the door.

Our tall young defenders are Balta (ok) but Garthwaite and miller - I’m not sure.

tall forwards - Chol biggy (worry)

rucks : Soldo (ok) CJ Chol - we’ll be ok

and I’m not sure what life will look like anyway when Cotchin and Martin finish.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I haven’t taken a look at any juniors this year but we’ve got to get a tall Key forward and a Talk key defender through the door.

Our tall young defenders are Balta (ok) but Garthwaite and miller - I’m not sure.

tall forwards - Chol biggy (worry)

rucks : Soldo (ok) CJ Chol - we’ll be ok

and I’m not sure what life will look like anyway when Cotchin and Martin finish.
I still have hope for Garth, he really needs to get more fluidity in his kicking action though. He showed in a string of games in 2019 that he wasn't out of his depth. With Astbury and Grimes both 30 next year, if Garth wants to stay I'd be happy for him to hang around.

Not sure what the big man stocks look like with the draft hopefuls.

There's a young tall from Claremont in the Wafl, Oliver Eastland who goes ok. As a forward he's very good at making a contest of it. He was shifted into the ruck half way through this season and I was very impressed. He is listed as 196cm, but he looks to be at least 198 to me. He just looks the type that would elevate in an AFL program.
Would be worth a spot as a rookie if we could squeeze him in with the reduced list sizes. He's a good competitor, I'd rather him than Chol.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Does anyone have any links to today’s combine results?

Here's a couple from a few weeks ago Disco.

This young bloke would be a good get, doubt he'll still be there for our pick.

Gee I miss Bullus.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Some results are up on the afl site.

Reef McInness ran a very quick 20m, but with a tailwind. Some former athlete broke the 2km record with a VERY VERY quick time.

Weird that they arent testing skills in Vic this year after none of them having any real footy to play

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Most of our big premiership players were early in the national draft.

We got lucky with grimes
Not so lucky with soldo: we found him and grew him.

Unless there is a dead set dusty and cotch who slips to our pick, I’d be going tall.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Will be lucky to get a pick before 25. Time to get creative.
Bloody pick 21 so far. Our first rounder isn't even in the top twenty that is just rubbish. Creative eh? Try this...

I think we should take out a double page full colour supplement of the all the big Sunday papers. One page should promote Tom Lynch and the other Marlion Picket.

Lets explain to all the footballers out there that they too can finally taste premiership success.

Lead off with "Two for Two Tom". "I came for some September action - how do you think that has worked out for me?" And then on to "Medals Marlion" "I am 28 years old, I haven't even played twenty games of AFL and by the way I have two premiership medallions and a book deal! How are you doing?"

Of course we can provide an inset of an oldy but a goody - A picture of Lara Bingle in her bikini in her heyday and Richmond players frolicking on the beach in swimming trunks and wearing all their medallions and her saying "Play AFL? - So where the bloody hell are you?"

Why be hated when you can be loathed?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Reckon it pushes out closer to 27-30 now.

Its bare minimum picks year for us.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Due to the significant level of speculation with so many of the young'uns this year, I would be happy to load up on next year's draft.

- Take players late this year seeing as we have an amazing recent track record with late/rookie picks, Rioli to be picked up late too;

- Markov, Higgins and any others trade for picks next year;

- package up our first this year with maybe our 2nd or 3rd round for a 1st rounder next year. This could work for a team who will have a highly rated academy or father/son pick for draft points

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah I think the best thing we can do is trade up this year and then load up on picks next year.

Current Picks 21, 35, 60 and 78

Higgins and Pick 35 for 17 and Saints 2nd 2021
Markov and Richmonds 2nd 2021 for Gold Coasts 2nd 2021
Pick swap with Dogs, Pick 17 and 21 for 14 and Dogs 2nd 2021 (helps them with picks for JUH. I'm not sure how many players they anticipate drafting but I think JUH is bid on at Pick 2, they are off Pick 2 matching at the moment.

Thats leaves us with 14 (best available), 60 (MRJ) and 78 (Baxter)

2021 would look great with this hand though.
1 1st (Richmond)
3 2nds (Gold Coast, Saints, Bulldogs)
1 3rd (Richmond)
1 4th (Richmond)

If we can get a FA next year then our list rebuold on the go continues as planned and keeps us well involved at the pointy end of the season for a significant period.

Above to me is best case scenario, probably doesn't play out like this but all trades seem feasible to me and would put us in a great position going forwards.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Some results are up on the afl site.

Reef McInness ran a very quick 20m, but with a tailwind. Some former athlete broke the 2km record with a VERY VERY quick time.

Weird that they arent testing skills in Vic this year after none of them having any real footy to play
Heard it too.
The kid took off .20 secs off the 2 km time trial.. wow.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Reckon the club, listening to Clarke, would prefer picks next year than this one. Too much stability at Tigerland atm to give the existing young'uns opportunity. Added benefit of course of picks next year are that the recruiters will see them more and the players themselves will be better developed due to having more games and focussed preparation under their belts. The 2020 crop will be necessarily less experienced than the previous year's group of players or the next.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Honestly is afl a basket case what circus draft has become so many picks pushed back rewarding clubs who have been poor with over generous picks for sub standard players.

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
Yeah I think the best thing we can do is trade up this year and then load up on picks next year.

Current Picks 21, 35, 60 and 78

Higgins and Pick 35 for 17 and Saints 2nd 2021
Markov and Richmonds 2nd 2021 for Gold Coasts 2nd 2021
Pick swap with Dogs, Pick 17 and 21 for 14 and Dogs 2nd 2021 (helps them with picks for JUH. I'm not sure how many players they anticipate drafting but I think JUH is bid on at Pick 2, they are off Pick 2 matching at the moment.

Thats leaves us with 14 (best available), 60 (MRJ) and 78 (Baxter)

2021 would look great with this hand though.
1 1st (Richmond)
3 2nds (Gold Coast, Saints, Bulldogs)
1 3rd (Richmond)
1 4th (Richmond)

If we can get a FA next year then our list rebuold on the go continues as planned and keeps us well involved at the pointy end of the season for a significant period.

Above to me is best case scenario, probably doesn't play out like this but all trades seem feasible to me and would put us in a great position going forwards.
Yep this is the type of strategy we need to pursue. With so much depth on our list we don’t need depth and role players. Try and get a top pick in the top 10 in the coming years.