2020 AFL Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 AFL Draft

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Agree

What people also need to keep in mind is that these kids have had no football this year and in 2019 as bottom age kids and Ford just turned 17 in june 2019 so would hardly have had an opportunity to play midfield time at a decent level with older kids getting that chance.

The only comparison of Ford to Lennon is his height and the position he plays but Ford has alot more assets to his game that Lennon didnt have that was always apparent watching him as a junior as well as at Richmond. Speed , Agility , Leap

But as you mentioned with the players you did in your post these kids/players have that Game breaking X factor that sets them aside and with where we are as a team i think Ford would be the exact type of player that would compliment the other young mids we have coming through in
Ross , Graham , Dow , Martyn & RCD
Obviously with no footy for Vic kids this year it's tough. A lot of extrapolating going on.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
I think that Ford offers more longterm than Lennon did, I think if we pick Victorian we have to just be extra prepared for a bit of a longer development phase after missing so much football.

FYI, Conor Stone has been spoken of as a bit of a bolter of late

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I think that Ford offers more longterm than Lennon did, I think if we pick Victorian we have to just be extra prepared for a bit of a longer development phase after missing so much football.

FYI, Conor Stone has been spoken of as a bit of a bolter of late
And we really have the time to do the development. The reality is that any draftee joins a long queue of youngsters trying to break into the 22.
I would doubt any draftee would do a Higgo and break into the premiers

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Havent seen either play.

Both Fyfe and Danger were forwards and not mids as juniors though...

Danger was nice as a kid too, allegedly

I don’t disagree at all , however that’s what Matt Clark does , picks best available regardless of needs , reckon his theory is goin ok

yeah its a pretty sound theory. A team of Liam bakers would *smile* all over a team of Josh Bruces.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
While we are on speed Jack Ross clocked 2.95 sec for 20 metre sprint at State Combine which is in the elite category but agree that speed doesn't appear to the eye game day.
His time pales in comparison to Ben Miller who clocked 2.91 sec at combine o_O
Think the plan must be to keep Miller who has speed and a lot more development potential, and possibly also Garth who is very steady but a bit slower.
Cox won't be available at 17. Maybe pick 17 to Collingwood?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I think Mason Cox was under 3 seconds too.

massive difference with footy quick and sprinting quick

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think we will stick to the template and take the toughest kid with the biggest tank at our pick

jeez our first premiership draft of '17 was a doozy; Balta, CCJ and Bakes!

we started the tough program in '12 with Vlastuin and Kmac. At the time we thought it was a solid citizen program, but it was clearly toughs and tanks

Reactions: 5 users

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Wouldn't mind us bidding on Downie, definitely has a bit of mongel in him and played well as a bottom ager

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I think we will stick to the template and take the toughest kid with the biggest tank at our pick

jeez our first premiership draft of '17 was a doozy; Balta, CCJ and Bakes!

we started the tough program in '12 with Vlastuin and Kmac. At the time we thought it was a solid citizen program, but it was clearly toughs and tanks
Toughs and tanks is a great description.

Speed is a plus. In '14 we went all out for speed and nabbed Menadue Butler Drummond Short Georgie Lamborghini and Soldo. Hit that out of the park too.

From there we musta refined it to mandate ball aggression so we dont pick the CEllis or Menadue types.
Toughs, tanks and a bit of toe

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Brayden Cook's a likely type.
Best kick in the draft. Zings it over 50 quick. Swans will go DGB as reported At 3. And get another top 10 talent in cook.
They are building fast.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Maybe saving one or two picks for the mid season draft is the way to go this year?
Maybe, after half a 2021 season, pick up a couple of bolters before the supposedly strong draft next year
full of kids that couldn't show their talents in 2021?

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Maybe saving one or two picks for the mid season draft is the way to go this year?
Maybe, after half a 2021 season, pick up a couple of bolters before the supposedly strong draft next year
full of kids that couldn't show their talents in 2021?
I agree, I'd be shocked if we went into next year with a full squad of 44.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Best kick in the draft. Zings it over 50 quick. Swans will go DGB as reported At 3. And get another top 10 talent in cook.
They are building fast.
You're thinking of Campbell. Cook's the South Adelaide medium forward/wing.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
What do we do if we get approached to trade our 1st rounder just prior , say Carlton or Bulldogs (doggies a possibility if MaCrae still on the board
do we trade out of 2020 and into 2021

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
What do we do if we get approached to trade our 1st rounder just prior , say Carlton or Bulldogs (doggies a possibility if MaCrae still on the board

If the kids we have pegged at our pick are gone and the deal was right, i spose theyde trade it?

This draft is a free swing at the piñata. We are reigning reigning premiers and heading home with maurice rioli jr. and a pair of flags to unfurl.

These are the times of our lives

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I,m all for trading up or out, no hesitation.
We have no needs that a draftee would fill.
Any tall young sprite will be 4+ years away.

And our draft pick would be way back on the starting grid for 2021

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What the *smile* is Kinnear Beatson (Swans list manager) talking about.

Wants the draft rules to change so that if you choose not to bid on your academy player, that you then get the very next pick.

Eg. If the Dogs don't get JUH with say Pick 1, they immediately get Pick 2. Seems completely ridiculous to me. You either want your academy player and willing to pay for it or you aren't. You shouldnt be given a free pick because you decide not to match.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users

dusty123456

Tiger Cub
Aug 12, 2020

Wants the draft rules to change so that if you choose not to bid on your academy player, that you then get the very next pick.

Eg. If the Dogs don't get JUH with say Pick 1, they immediately get Pick 2. Seems completely ridiculous to me. You either want your academy player and willing to pay for it or you aren't. You shouldnt be given a free pick because you decide not to match.
He is referring to the top 20 picks right?

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008

Ludicrous, self-interested idea. One quote from him is that if you’ve got an academy kid coming through “at the moment you're disadvantaged because of finishing high on the ladder." Surely that’s the whole point of having a draft, encouraging greater equality (and therefore competition) by ensuring that the teams that are already strong are (somewhat) handicapped when it comes to gaining new talent.

Reactions: 3 users