2020 AFL Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 AFL Draft

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I dont think its potting Will Phillips vs potting North who are screaming out for a Key Forward and had a great opportunity to draft one. Phillips will play a lot of games for them and be a good player, but who is he going to kick the ball to?

I agree. I think Philips is a safe bet to play 200 games. I regard it as a bit like the Sam Walsh pick for Carlton. Its a relatively safe bet that you have picked up a 200 gamer potential future captain, but he lacks the ex-factor that you'd get from someone like McDonald.

Its especially important to consider in line with the draft next year which appears to have few talls in the top 20 and none in the top 5. They will again add a strong midfielder, but they aren't developing talls at the same time.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I agree. I think Philips is a safe bet to play 200 games. I regard it as a bit like the Sam Walsh pick for Carlton. Its a relatively safe bet that you have picked up a 200 gamer potential future captain, but he lacks the ex-factor that you'd get from someone like McDonald.
Plenty of youngsters within the system each year with the capacity to be 200 game midfield accumulators of possessions. Very few players each year with the potential to rip holes in games, or stand up n fight back when the *smile*'s hitting the fan during games.
Bland safe option with the first couple of picks in the draft will rarely ever help your club elevate up the ladder, they'll just help ya remain mediocre for a long time.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I dont think its potting Will Phillips vs potting North who are screaming out for a Key Forward and had a great opportunity to draft one. Phillips will play a lot of games for them and be a good player, but who is he going to kick the ball to?
Thank you, D85. So there's a school of thought that McDonald may be a better player or at least a more appropriate player for North to select.

Its especially important to consider in line with the draft next year which appears to have few talls in the top 20 and none in the top 5. They will again add a strong midfielder, but they aren't developing talls at the same time.
Your pot, MrP, seems the be the other main one - Phillips is very blue collar.

My take on North's selection is that they rate him best available at #3. I think it's quite possible they're potting McDonald. McDonald did well in the exit polls with four of twelve clubs canvassed declaring him #1 after JUH. But eight clubs polled otherwise.

This is Luff's first draft as list manager at North so it will be interesting to see how he goes. Their choices look to be numbers informed if not driven.

I'm very interested in this mythic game where Grainger-Barrass was moved onto McDonald. Did he get him by the hair or did supply dry up?

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Phillips definitely has some game breaking abilities, not a pure accumulation mid like Walsh, and was able to do that in games as a bottom ager and without Rowell & Anderson. Extraction at the coal face and then acceleration out of the pack to deliver F50.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
EZJr reckons Eddie Ford was the steal of the draft, and I tend to agree.

Reactions: 2 users

eastlavy

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2008

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

Thank you, estlavy. The report supports what is clear about McDonald. That he has elite ground game with halving aerial game rather than elite marking. It does seem that GB may have got a hold of him in the air. Wish I could see it.

The ground game I've seen from McDonald is crisp, abundant and insightful. I'll be interested to see how his aerial game stacks up at AFL level.

Phillips definitely has some game breaking abilities, not a pure accumulation mid like Walsh, and was able to do that in games as a bottom ager and without Rowell & Anderson. Extraction at the coal face and then acceleration out of the pack to deliver F50.

That's the Phillips I've seen in my recent forays, D85. Multidimensional and great values.

eastlavy

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2008
Thank you, estlavy. The report supports what is clear about McDonald. That he has elite ground game with halving aerial game rather than elite marking. It does seem that GB may have got a hold of him in the air. Wish I could see it.

The ground game I've seen from McDonald is crisp, abundant and insightful. I'll be interested to see how his aerial game stacks up at AFL level.
Watch here: https://7plus.com.au/sevens-wafl?episode-id=WAFL20-008

• Love

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Jaiden Stephenson.

• Haha

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I’ll never understand North passing on McDonald. Screams future captain. Competitive in all facets of the game.

And it was there biggest need. Luff has put them on the line with this pick.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I’ll never understand North passing on McDonald. Screams future captain. Competitive in all facets of the game.

And it was there biggest need. Luff has put them on the line with this pick.
It was based on go home factor with the 2 WA talls. Which if you are lolnorf u should be concerned about. It was always going to be Holland’s or Phillips. Will get no.1 next year also when a couple of gun Vic KPPs will be available.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
It was based on go home factor with the 2 WA talls. Which if you are lolnorf u should be concerned about. It was always going to be Holland’s or Phillips. Will get no.1 next year also when a couple of gun Vic KPPs will be available.
Smart work if you are on the money Kong, sounds feasible.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

On most of the early 2021 draft views are only mids in the top 5. The highest I've seen a tall is around 10.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Reckon we’ll take another rookie before the season starts. I just heard we have invited some players to do preseason with a view to giving one a rookie spot. One player invited is my cousins son Rhyan Mansell, a Tassie lad from Nth Launceston who played in Woodville-West Torrens senior flag last season. He’s a small defender, quick and tough
Baker Mk2.