2020 finals–week one: the other games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 finals–week one: the other games

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Last night Vlastuin got penalised for holding the ball. Robinson didn’t even lay an effective tackle. He tried to grab Vlastuin but he bounced off him and the ball spilled loose. That is play on.

There is absolutely no doubt that we are umpired to a different standard and at a vast disadvantage. You just have to look at how all 7 other teams were umpired this week to realise that.

We get *smile* over every week.
Yep.

There was a free paid against the eagles and an eagles player disposed of the ball after the whistle. No 50m penalty. If he was wearing yellow and black you can guarantee a 50 and people will be saying stupid, indiscipline blah blah.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Mihocek, Cox, Maine, how many times will these spuds win them games. Its outrageous.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
And yet Cameron wasn’t pinged for exactly the same thing. That was play on, nothing to see here. Until the umpires are made to publicly explain conflicting incidents like this, it will never improve.
When it comes to the umpiring department, the AFL is like the CCP. No democratic analysis allowed; total control and repression of any explanations or questions.

• Wow

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Mihocek, Cox, Maine, how many times will these spuds win them games. Its outrageous.

Its hard to watch.
Milocheck was delist material at 3qtr time and then he kicks one out his ass and the outmarks McGovern.
Penderbury is Collingwood.
He just opens the game up for them.
People forget during Collingwood's poor patch, Penderbury was injured

Pandaboy

Tiger Superstar
Mar 27, 2009
Its hard to watch.
Milocheck was delist material at 3qtr time and then he kicks one out his ass and the outmarks McGovern.
Penderbury is Collingwood.
He just opens the game up for them.
People forget during Collingwood's poor patch, Penderbury was injured

Have to say it Pendlebury is a HOF er. Just never plays a bad game, never wastes a possession and dont think ive ever seen him get caught. I can see him play another 5 years and still be putting up the same numbers and still be considered one of the top 5 players in the game.

Reactions: 8 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Pies Coasters was one of the great finals. Had everything. Happy to see west coast lose. Think the pies will beat the cats.

Would love a pies v tigers GF.

Reactions: 1 users

stripes17

Tiger Superstar
Mar 9, 2004
Victoria
Pies Coasters was one of the great finals. Had everything. Happy to see west coast lose. Think the pies will beat the cats.

Would love a pies v tigers GF.
That would only be good if we won. To lose to them would be just unbearable and totally top off 2020 as the most terrible year in living memory

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
geelong won’t beat Collingwood.

It’s a hard one to pick - Hawkins v Cox. Given Cox plays one good game every 2 years I can’t see him backing it up against the cats and I can’t see Hawkins kicking 0.5 again.

Its a 50 : 50 game and I can’t pick it at the moment.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Richo gave Mihochek the MVP. 10 DISPOSALS.
Would have thought Liam Ryan was a standout.
He also said McGovern was the best defender in the game in the last 10 years. The fools he is surrounded by are rubbing off on him!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I'm pretty surprised and bemused by the Collingwood win narrative. Maybe I was on my pat malone, but I thought they had a decent chance. West Coast were favourites sure, but Collinwood were on the improve and looked a heap better with deGoey and Treloar back.

One of the greatest finals wins ever? Good win sure, but OTT IMO. The whole hub iso thing is overstated. Clubs are used to travelling, and Collingwood travel well historically, and they are well and truly used to being confined to hubs. A week in a nice hotel is now akin to being in the hole in Boggo Road?

Anyway, good win sure, greatest finals win ever? Way OTT hype.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
geelong won’t beat Collingwood.

Was a gutbuster for the Pies - huge mental buildup and the longest road trip in football. How do they repeat it? And Geelong has had an extra two days to regroup.

I don't think Geelong are certainties, just that they will have the edge. I'd anticipated we would play them in a prelim, but I think Brisbane's a better match-up for them.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
My money would be on Collingwood, just. Yes it was a tough task, but they look sharp and refreshed, and Geelong look old, slow and uninspired.

I can't pick it, it might have been Collingwood's GF, but my feeling is they can keep rolling another week.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Reckon Geelong will get up. Extra day or two break and no travel. Cox won’t have the same influence .

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yes, Geesook have the advantages but, I have to say, that I was impressed with the Skunks last night. Buckley is not a creative coach but a damn good copier or student of others. I'm certain he learnt so much from how we beat WCE; it was the template for last night.
The Skunks attacked really aggressively from the back half, dispensing with their slow ball movement game of chip and mark. They burst forward with precise passing when possible but, for once, were happy to run with dirty ball often. This throws the WC defence out not allowing them type to set up and repel by aerial dominance as is their dominant method.
Barass was again found wanting on Cox in Q1, then at the death, Mihocek and DeGoey kick miracle goals. The forward pocket mark was an in-the-back from Mihocek on McGovern for which the ump promptly answered his complaints with " ... that's no longer a rule; not for three years ..."! Colonwood received crucial umpiring favours including a mark that was clearly touched and should have been play-on to Stevenson near the death.

Anyway, the thing is, this is the game-style that works against the Moggs too. Skunks have a backline and FL that succeeds against Geesook and a midfield that will win or match.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The forward pocket mark was an in-the-back from Mihocek on McGovern for which the ump promptly answered his complaints with " ... that's no longer a rule; not for three years ..."!
[/QUOTE]

Wow, just wow.

It is a rule, and has been for well over 100 years. You can hold your position with your arms in the back of an opponent, but you can't push the opponent.

If this is the calibre of umpiring I am not surprised we have so many issues.

DS

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Can't stand the Skunks and seeing them win just compounds my shitty weekend.

Have a feeling that they will start a bulldogs 2016 like run and it makes me sick to my stomach.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Wow, just wow.

It is a rule, and has been for well over 100 years. You can hold your position with your arms in the back of an opponent, but you can't push the opponent.

If this is the calibre of umpiring I am not surprised we have so many issues.

DS

Did the defender say "hands in the back?" Just asking.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Was a gutbuster for the Pies - huge mental buildup and the longest road trip in football. How do they repeat it? And Geelong has had an extra two days to regroup.

I don't think Geelong are certainties, just that they will have the edge. I'd anticipated we would play them in a prelim, but I think Brisbane's a better match-up for them.

Good points LTRTR.