2020 finals–week one: the other games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 finals–week one: the other games

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The forward pocket mark was an in-the-back from Mihocek on McGovern for which the ump promptly answered his complaints with " ... that's no longer a rule; not for three years ..."!

Wow, just wow.

It is a rule, and has been for well over 100 years. You can hold your position with your arms in the back of an opponent, but you can't push the opponent.

If this is the calibre of umpiring I am not surprised we have so many issues.

DS
[/QUOTE]

He didn’t push him though. And you can use your hands to hold your ground now. Clear mark, well done by micheck

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Did the defender say "hands in the back?" Just asking.
I couldn't make out McGovern's words exactly but he clearly was complaining that he had been pushed under the ball, out of position.
He was in front, in best position to mark it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I couldn't make out McGovern's words exactly but he clearly was complaining that he had been pushed under the ball, out of position.
Deleted

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Wow, just wow.

It is a rule, and has been for well over 100 years. You can hold your position with your arms in the back of an opponent, but you can't push the opponent.

If this is the calibre of umpiring I am not surprised we have so many issues.

DS

He didn’t push him though. And you can use your hands to hold your ground now. Clear mark, well done by micheck
[/QUOTE]
I think he did move him forward out of front position to take that mark. The altering of the rule leaves it open to interpretation, of course. I think in the old days you were expected to keep your hands out of an opponent's back completely and raise them to attempt to mark. You have always been allowed to leap for the ball or hold out using your hip/shoulder legally.
That decision won the game - and others.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He was in front, in best position to mark it.

Ok, if he'd said "hands in the back" the umpire would be right. The push in the back is administered so inconsistently these days, I can see why players get upset over it.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I still don’t know if you can use “forearm” to the back or not. Sometimes a player does it and commentators say “that’s ok, he didn’t use his hands” then sometimes an umpire will ping a player for a forearm to the back.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I still don’t know if you can use “forearm” to the back or not. Sometimes a player does it and commentators say “that’s ok, he didn’t use his hands” then sometimes an umpire will ping a player for a forearm to the back.
Yes that's just it. The current rule is quite ambiguous to my mind so of course, allows 'interpretation.' So at the whim of the umps, which is just the way the AFL wants it imo. Can do what they like without much challenge at all.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Was a gutbuster for the Pies - huge mental buildup and the longest road trip in football. How do they repeat it? And Geelong has had an extra two days to regroup.

I don't think Geelong are certainties, just that they will have the edge. I'd anticipated we would play them in a prelim, but I think Brisbane's a better match-up for them.

Agree L2R2R.

Cats for me, they'll out run the pies in the second half.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Agree L2R2R.

Cats for me, they'll out run the pies in the second half.

And under the current finals system, QF losers are 32-8 in semis.

Would've been less confident of Geelong beating West Coast as the Eagles can match them in the air as well as being quicker on the ground.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Just a snippet from the West in regards WAFL Grand finals

Colts Claremont (Tigers) lost to Subiaco
Reserves Claremont (Tigers) lost to East Perth
Seniors Claremont (Tigers) lost to South Fremantle

Good reason for a Wake.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think they are making out that it is harder to differentiate between a player being pushed and a player not being able to push back in a marking contest. I know players exaggerate but the umpires should know what to look for.

I'm not sure what Mihochek said either, but if he said he was pushed in the back and the umpire does not agree then the reply is that he wasn't pushed, not that pushing in the back is no longer a rule. Would explain why Hawkins gets away with so many pushes in the back though if that is what the umpires think.

DS

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Music for one's ear today as one did tune into 6PR (Perth) talk back radio with those West Coast choker fans venting their spleen on last nights exit by those feral dirty etc etc etc etc Hot Pies plus the umps.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Pies will be too quick for geelong.

Unfortunately think they're a massive chance to make the gf

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Pies will be too quick for geelong.

Unfortunately think they're a massive chance to make the gf
They also beat the Handbaggers in the QF last year and then underperformed against GWS in the Prelim. Reckon the might beat Geelong too but won’t beat the Lions.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
One of the greatest finals wins ever? Good win sure, but OTT IMO. The whole hub iso thing is overstated. Clubs are used to travelling, and Collingwood travel well historically, and they are well and truly used to being confined to hubs. A week in a nice hotel is now akin to being in the hole in Boggo Road?

Anyway, good win sure, greatest finals win ever? Way OTT hype.

Jeez what a cynical view. The game itself was fantastic, you never knew which way it was going to go. Highlights galore, thrilling marks and goals. It was a huge effort by the pies. Loved it as a spectacle, some of us can actually enjoy a brilliant game for what it is.

Reactions: 1 users

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Did he mean that ‘hands in the back’ is no longer a rule? If so that is correct.

What is allowed now is interpreted based on the situation. Forwards are allowed to hold their ground using hands if necessary.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Jeez what a cynical view. The game itself was fantastic, you never knew which way it was going to go. Highlights galore, thrilling marks and goals. It was a huge effort by the pies. Loved it as a spectacle, some of us can actually enjoy a brilliant game for what it is.

did I say I didn't enjoy the game? My beef is with the narrative that the pies had no hope in hell, as I said in the post.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Did he mean that ‘hands in the back’ is no longer a rule? If so that is correct.

What is allowed now is interpreted based on the situation. Forwards are allowed to hold their ground using hands if necessary.
Big difference between holding ground n pushing. That was the reason they changed the rule to hands in the back n crucified Richo n us against Essendrugs in the first place. They then changed it back to being able to hold your ground with your hands a few years ago n defenders are once again being shunted out of the contest.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Big difference between holding ground n pushing. That was the reason they changed the rule to hands in the back n crucified Richo n us against Essendrugs in the first place. They then changed it back to being able to hold your ground with your hands a few years ago n defenders are once again being shunted out of the contest.

I reckon they've got it pretty much right, you rarely see supporters whingeing about hands in the back anymore.

It's the HTB that is the big issue. And its mainly been caused by Shocking reacting to Clarkson reacting to his own *smile* sides play. It's laughable rules management of the biggest game in Aust when you think about it.