2020 heading into 2021, thankyou PRE | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 heading into 2021, thankyou PRE

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Hi PRE.

Well, with us at the end of 2020 and with 2021 about to be uncovered I decided to post this missive to thank you all for helping keep me sane during the year and for making me laugh when everything else was being an *smile*.

2020 for me has been a bit hard, no where near as hard as for some, but hard nonetheless. The virus thing, the work uncertainty, the lockdowns, the anxiety and fear, all contributed to bake a cake of *smile* that had me, for most of the year, on the edge of depression and suffering from anxiety.

The things that kept me going were my family and friends, the footy, and this forum.

My family and friends were always ready to listen and to support me and for that I am extremely grateful and thankful.

With the footy returning, in admittedly a bastardised form, I knew that I would have the opportunity to look forward to a Tigers game and to see my favourites run around on the telly. Dusty, Jack, Shorty, Balta, Baker, Bacher, Nank, Kamdyn and others kept providing me with endless enjoyment through the year. The results mattered less than the joy of seeing the lads play. And then, of course, the end result for the season. With the Tiges getting up over the Handbaggers. What a result! *smile* awesome. :cupgold

And then there is this forum. A bastion of passionate footy fanatics with an unbridled love for the Tiges. A source of knowledge, a source of insight, a source of rumour, a source of argument and discussion. But, for me, mostly a source of complete and utter bastages with a sense of humour to match their footy knowledge. There has been nothing better than to finish work, log onto the forum and read posts from a bunch of well educated, hunt and peck typists, young, old, middle-aged, knowledgeable, (sometimes drunken) dumbarses, with dubious parentage, spouting forth fact and fable about the footy and about our beloved Tigers! You horrible lot are my champions for the year and for that I say "Thanks!"

And so I give thought to those among us who have fared poorly this year. You are not alone in your experience. There are those among us who have had a really *smile* year. What has happened has happened, and what is yet to come is yet to be written. I hope you are able to seek comfort wherever you may find it. By asking for help, or support, you not only open the possibility for finding strength for yourself, but you may also provide that strength to others.

And so we head in to 2021. A simple date change that associates the turning of the world with a human construct that attempts to apply order to a natural phenomenon, and in doing so attributers a mystical significance to the increment of a 4 digit value. Of course this is ridiculous but nonetheless it provides hope for some and meaning for others. It can be used as a time to reflect on the year that has passed, and to plan for the year that is to come. For me it is a time of reflection. (Hence this post.) But also a time for consideration of what is to come. And, with that in mind, here are my hopes for my family, friends and for myself in 2021.

1. Heath and happiness
2. Continued work/financial security
3. A fairer society
4. Another *smile* cup. Please. If its not too much to ask :))

So, celebrate the end of 2020 by tipping it into a dumpster and setting fire to it. Then open the gift that is 2021 with excitement and a hopeful heart.

And lets cheer on the mighty , mighty Tigers to another premiership in 2021!

1609403076241.png

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Great post Jimmy.

Best wishes to you and your family for 2021.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Like you Jim, thanks to PRE and all its contributors, moderators and those that run the technical site helping to keep me relatively sane through out the year. Best of all for me it and RFC keeps me in touch with Australia on a daily basis. From a proud Pom, you can't get better. Life will only get better for us all as long as we have the community and the mighty tigers!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users