2020 Membership card | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 Membership card

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Yes I know I can make payments with my watch now. The trend is definitely moving towards cardless society however I think it will be a long time before cards are repalced completely. Most, if not all, companies provide card-based options for those that don't want to use mobile phones. I stil find cards easier to use in many instances. Some apps are just terrible.

The younger citizens will be targeted by new entrants into the payment system like Facebook and Google. These companies will not be providing any physical means to make payments. Weight of numbers will see the current Banks move quickly that way to head off the challenge. It will change quicker than you think and is already being planned now.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The younger citizens will be targeted by new entrants into the payment system like Facebook and Google. These companies will not be providing any physical means to make payments. Weight of numbers will see the current Banks move quickly that way to head off the challenge. It will change quicker than you think and is already being planned now.

Yeah maybe if you exterminate all the older people..lol. Mobile phone (and watch) based payments have been available for years. It's not new. I use GooglePay. Banks don't need to head off any challenges, they already provide non card-based payments. In fact they work together with the likes of GooglePay already. There's no advantage in a bank alienating customers. Cards will remain viable for a long time to come yet. And we're not just talking about payment cards. There are all sorts of cards.

PS Facebook have large issues already regarding shonky goods advertisements. They have a lot of work to do to gain trust in the payments arena.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Yeah maybe if you exterminate all the older people..lol. Mobile phone (and watch) based payments have been available for years. It's not new. I use GooglePay. Banks don't need to head off any challenges, they already provide non card-based payments. In fact they work together with the likes of GooglePay already. There's no advantage in a bank alienating customers. Cards will remain viable for a long time to come yet. And we're not just talking about payment cards. There are all sorts of cards.

PS Facebook have large issues already regarding shonky goods advertisements. They have a lot of work to do to gain trust in the payments arena.

You maybe right

This article discusses the plans of the big tech giants

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
You maybe right

This article discusses the plans of the big tech giants

That article talks about the ability of banks to assess credit risk. As we know a large part of a bank's services relates to lending. There's no doubt a change in payment methods is occurring after being card-based for so long. I'm sure sometime int he future you'll be able to Face scan a payment. No devices needed at all.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I'm an international member with no games included. I got my membership pack, but no card. Oversight? Or have the club decided that with a no game membership I don't need one?
KR,
Mail to the membership dept to complain. I have and they are sending me a one off 2020 membership card but none in future years. I have complained and suggested that we could pay a couple of dollars extra for future cards if the club is so desperate for money. They are taking that suggestion on board but drop them a mail anyway

Last edited:

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Maybe they are trying to push people away from that type of membership knowing it might upset members to a 3 game membership - a more expensive membership for the extra $$ profits (thinking the first "type" of membership where the club spends to a couple of dollars to print a card).

Maybe they should offer an option ($5 extra - issue a membership card - like "dot a box option" in the renewal process. P.s. not that it really should be extra). Just my view.

Get in touch in membership dept and get one if they are doing it for just "next year". I truly shake my head in disbelief.
Al,
The idea of the international membership is we get Watch AFL as part of the deal so we can watch matches in real time. With a three game membership we wold lose that deal. The club are just being petty penny pinchers

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Ah, you need to remove the shrink wrap.
I’m been trying to wear my scarf with the shrink wrap on. Though it was a weather proof thing.
Thanks
The club insist on sending me a scarf despite me telling them every year not to bother. Mine go to the local charity shop and during winter I see a surprising number of Tigers supporters wandering around my small country town !

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Wonder why they haven't gone hi-tech and issued a members app so you scan your phone to get access to all things Richmond

Plastic cards are going the way of rotary dial phones, fax machines and walkmans

Yep, and I, with my Roaming Tiger ticket for the game (printed on paper), stand behind those trying to get into the game using their phone and wait until their glacially slow and unreliable technology works - all I can say is: paper is compelling technology, so reliable, no need for network access, easily replaceable, can be dropped without breaking.

Then again, I pay for most things with cash. The tech titans can pay me if they want info about my life.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
KR,
Mail to the membership dept to complain. I have and they are sending me a one off 2020 membership card but none in future years. I have complained and suggested that we could pay a couple of dollars extra for future cards if the club is so desperate for money. They are taking that suggestion on board but drop them a mail anyway

If I was going to mail them it would be to bemoan the lack of thought and courtesy put into communication with members. I get the reasoning. Just disappointed in the execution.

For those wondering about the International category: Before the "International" Membership launched as category I used have a "Country/Interstate" supporter pack (3-games included if you notify the club) with a Watch AFL add-on. I'd post my card and lanyard back to my brother and tell him to use it if he wanted. Then they introduced the International Membership including the WatchAFL subscription as a seperate category. Makes sense. Slight reduction in membership cost.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Al,
The idea of the international membership is we get Watch AFL as part of the deal so we can watch matches in real time. With a three game membership we wold lose that deal. The club are just being petty penny pinchers
Got it. ! Ta, oh and agree

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If I was going to mail them it would be to bemoan the lack of thought and courtesy put into communication with members. I get the reasoning. Just disappointed in the execution.

For those wondering about the International category: Before the "International" Membership launched as category I used have a "Country/Interstate" supporter pack (3-games included if you notify the club) with a Watch AFL add-on. I'd post my card and lanyard back to my brother and tell him to use it if he wanted. Then they introduced the International Membership including the WatchAFL subscription as a seperate category. Makes sense. Slight reduction in membership cost.

They've also added a one game admission this year as well.

The cynic in me thinks they added 1 game to qualify for some "AFL membership" category. Why they won't honour MRC membership with that 1 game is beyond me. I guess they didn't think it through enough and are now making up categories on the fly.

International Membership, the non-game day add-on membership that can be bought on it's own and gives you access to a game.

tiger4eva

Tiger Cub
Feb 1, 2004
Melbourne
Just got my 3121 membership pack today but no membership card was inside. I'm now a platinum member and pretty annoyed that is was missing.

Did anyone else recieve thier pack without their card?

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Just got my 3121 membership pack today but no membership card was inside. I'm now a platinum member and pretty annoyed that is was missing.

Did anyone else recieve thier pack without their card?
Ok - so I buy six membersips each year. One for myself and five for grandkids for part of Xmas. Not only did they not arrive in time for Xmas I am also missing a membership card and the merchandise for one of my Grand daughters. Of course I can not complain or look into this until after 7 Jan. Pretty annoyed with the whole thing really. Biggest club in the country and cant get membership stuff right smacks of a lazy attitude to me. Seems that out of my six memberships something goes wrong every year without fail. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr