2020 Premier merchandise | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 Premier merchandise

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Got my block mounted poster off EBay yesterday and looked a bit washed out next to the 2017 and 2019 ones but today the laminated poster arrived from the Herald Sun and it also looks washed out so the EBay direct guy certainly looks able to access the genuine article.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Re above two posts ...I am getting sick of having a blu Ray, DVD and laptop set up to find the one that reads the disc I want to watch. Why would a player have a use by date? And why is disc quality so hit and miss? (Back in the late 80s I was involved in financing an Australian company that had set up CD manufacturing. The production line had to be pristine clean)

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Why would a player have a use by date?
Parts wear out on all electrical appliances. Generally cheaper means sooner. Only made the suggestion after once purchasing an imported CD via eBay and questioning the seller as to whether it was legit after the CD player in my PC refused to play it. Was forced to apologise for the question when it turned out the CD player, a good Pioneer model, was at fault.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Re above two posts ...I am getting sick of having a blu Ray, DVD and laptop set up to find the one that reads the disc I want to watch. Why would a player have a use by date? And why is disc quality so hit and miss? (Back in the late 80s I was involved in financing an Australian company that had set up CD manufacturing. The production line had to be pristine clean)
Yep. Got a Samsung Blu Ray player - refuses to play anything newer than 2018 releases. Samsung suggested a software update was needed but they don't make Blu Ray players any more so tough luck customer.

billybarrot

Tiger Cub
Feb 18, 2008
Strangely, the discs wouldn't play on my work laptop (never been a problem before), but when i got home, tried the DVD player in the mancave, and they all worked fine.
Apologies to JB HiFi.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yep. Got a Samsung Blu Ray player - refuses to play anything newer than 2018 releases. Samsung suggested a software update was needed but they don't make Blu Ray players any more so tough luck customer.
So is mine and that sounds a lot like my issu. And idiot me was thinking SAMSUNG tV , mm mm makes sense to get same make blu Ray. ...obviously more fool me. Any suggestion so before I join the throngs at JB?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
This is all insane. I am contemplating a Blu-Ray player, but we currently have a DVD player which also plays video tapes and it refuses nothing. Occasionally it can be a bit temperamental but I just eject and reload and off it goes.

There really is no reason for things to break down so quickly. My turntable is 35 years old and runs fine, the one my daughter has, my old turntable, is 47 years old and I have never had to replace the globe in the light. Our throw away culture of electricals which only last a couple of years is completely unnecessary.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
This is all insane. I am contemplating a Blu-Ray player, but we currently have a DVD player which also plays video tapes and it refuses nothing. Occasionally it can be a bit temperamental but I just eject and reload and off it goes.

There really is no reason for things to break down so quickly. My turntable is 35 years old and runs fine, the one my daughter has, my old turntable, is 47 years old and I have never had to replace the globe in the light. Our throw away culture of electricals which only last a couple of years is completely unnecessary.

DS
I occasionally work at a tip DS, blows ya mind what gets thrown out . It’s not uncommon for 20 plus year old tVs coming in that still work fine , yet we have containers full of “new” tvs that don’t work

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005

DS
Vinyl was just amplification of a needle over indentations. This analog source's only option was 33 or 78 RPM. Digital is evolving all the time with different formats, regions, standards, codecs etc for audio and video. It's hard to keep up without software updates. Use it as an excuse to buy an xbox or ps with a player :)

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Any suggestion so before I join the throngs at JB?
Had a look and was surprised to see the Sony S6700 still around (and on special at JB for $155 for a few more days). Have had one of these in the bedroom for four years and the fact it's still being sold says it's a successful model, with enough functions and settings to keep tweakers happy. For Blu-ray and DVD playback to a full HD TV (i.e. the step below 4K TV), more money is not likely to get you a better picture.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
we currently have a DVD player which also plays video tapes and it refuses nothing
I still have a Panasonic one of those for getting stuff off VHS tapes into digital format.

The only reason a player should refuse a (commercially manufactured) disc is if the disc is from another region (i.e. player was bought in Australia and disc is not a Region 4 DVD or a Region B Blu-ray). Even then you can get lucky and purchase a player that is region-unlocked. If it's a DVD you've ripped yourself on a PC, your mileage may vary.

If a disc won't play, it could pay to check for scratches, dust or fingerprints and give it a clean (soft clean cloth + water, wiping radially out from the centre, don't scrub!) and also checking the cables are in properly and haven't been damaged. Digital discs are not as immune to damage as some believe.

Last edited:

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013

DS
bring back the analogue DS .
but yes, i shudder to think how much landfill the new stuff occupies, they're not made to be fixed.

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
You can make most DVD players region free. I had teac DVD played all I had to do was press a few buttons in a specific order and then I was able to select the region code. I set it to 0 for region free.
Needed to googled the instructions.
Back in the DVD height you had to pay a extra $200 - $300 for a region free player.

Reactions: 2 users