2020 Round 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 Round 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I think we have to bear in mind the effect of no crowd. When we got well ahead and had the match won in the 2nd quarter there was no external stimulus to drive us to greater heights so we took our foot off the pedal. I don't think we ran out of legs, our motivation just dropped off.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
The traditional opening game has become a bit of a farce. It should be reserved for the best match up. Richmond and Carlton haven't been even for 4 decades.

Reactions: 1 user

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
We looked underdone last night. Literally ran out of legs in the 2nd half.

Lets not forget teams like Carlton are at least 3 - 4 weeks ahead of schedule in terms of 'runs in the legs'.

We just need to keep banking the 4 points for now.
Yes - this. Learnt a lesson in 2018 about coming into the season over fit and running out of legs late in the season. Carlton obviously fitter than our lads atm. No biggy for me.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
My best Prestia Martin Bolton Caddy baker Rioli Castagna jack
My not good, Graham Nakas Astbury Edwards

We had no run off the wings, McIntosh needs to come in.

Big V goes off, Carlton were on 4 goals, they kick another 8 goals from the 9 minute of the 3rd.

Our rucks weren't good.

We got slapped in the centre, Ross needs to come in.

Changes next week
Out, Nakas Short BigV and Graham
in. McIntosh Ross Cj and Balta

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Yes - this. Learnt a lesson in 2018 about coming into the season over fit and running out of legs late in the season. Carlton obviously fitter than our lads atm. No biggy for me.

Extra month of training, apparently 2 extra practice matches before Marsh games, no wonder they were running over us as the game went on.

This happened last year as well.

Blues supporters always thinking they will go well in the upcoming season based on rd 1 & look how that normally pans out. Suns looked okay also until about round 4 last year.

Still there were some concerns though & our giving away silly frees resulting in goals needs to stop.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Extra month of training, apparently 2 extra practice matches before Marsh games, no wonder they were running over us as the game went on.

This happened last year as well.

Blues supporters always thinking they will go well in the upcoming season based on rd 1 & look how that normally pans out. Suns looked okay also until about round 4 last year.

Still there were some concerns though & our giving away silly frees resulting in goals needs to stop.
Yep, Carlton always seem to save their best for rd 1. Lets see where they are come rd 17 ( or 22 or whatever it ends up being)

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i thought we were very poor. Apart from Meatball, we had no standout players. Yes our small forwards all got on the scoreboard, but we got so many goals on the fast break. Nothing to worry about of course. its only round 1. but we might have struggled had we played a better opponent (or if Carlton were switched on from the first bounce). The only real positive was the beautiful ball movement when we were on the fast break. it was sexy AF.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The traditional opening game has become a bit of a farce. It should be reserved for the best match up. Richmond and Carlton haven't been even for 4 decades.
Agree and said it years ago. Time to change that fixture.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I think we have to bear in mind the effect of no crowd. When we got well ahead and had the match won in the 2nd quarter there was no external stimulus to drive us to greater heights so we took our foot off the pedal. I don't think we ran out of legs, our motivation just dropped off.
True. You can clearly see the psychology in Rio's last goal as he was all pumped up in that play and goal, and as soon as he kicked it he had no crowd to celebrate with. It's like he had a minor mental blank after kicking the goal and just turned back to run to his position.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The crowd usually reinforces the big tackles and pressure, especially when the game gets tight later on.

Woahhh!
Ballllll!!
GrHOdKAHF!!!
Balll!
...Jaaaaaack!!!

That pulsating pressure momentum wasn’t there.

However, it won’t be there for other teams either, so it’s an opportunity for our superior leadership and team spirit to shape the momentum.

Our champion aura means some good use of the English language directed at opposition players could be more effective than ever. Apparently Leppa’s old mob were pretty psychologically vicious with their words.

Our ability to adapt to ever-changing conditions will be central to winning a 3rd premiership in 4 years.

Last edited:

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Well that was incredibly weird.

I have noticed before that we play like crap at Chernobyl on Docklands. What I also notice at Chernobyl is the complete lack of atmosphere. Coincidence? I think not. The lack of atmosphere, the lack of that feel of a cauldron of seething Richmond fans, seems to suck the life out of our pressure game. It just didn't seem to be on tonight.

The centre clearances were terrible. We can't afford to have other teams get it out of the middle so easily. This has to improve. I still can't understand how we don't win more clearances given we have Dusty, Cotch, Prestia, Graham, Pickett et al. This is an area we need to improve. Whenever we get beaten, getting smashed in the middle is a common factor (think NM and WB last year and the 2018 PF).

But, round1 and clearly the players were rusty. Shorter pre-season for us. No VFL is a big worry, how do we get game time into fringe players and those a bit down on form?

Gotta get the fans back in somehow, nice to have a game to watch but not the same.

The umpires were woefully inconsistent as usual, some things even a lack of atmosphere can't change :rolleyes:

DS

our ruckman was tapping it down the throats of their mids all night. Soldo has a stinker

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Didn't think either team played really well. But 6 goals from free kicks, geez. Even that out a bit say 4 to 2 and it's a 50 point win. Interesting that Carlton were only .4 years younger and 11 games less experienced per player. Jack Martin made a huge difference for them too. Bit concerned about Nanks. Really starting to think CCJ deserves his chance ahead of Nanks.

Standout stat, Carlton only 23 tackles for the game to our 52.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
our ruckman was tapping it down the throats of their mids all night. Soldo has a stinker

Yep I noticed that although is that just Soldo's fault. Maybe some lack of understanding by the whole midfield. Soldo had 25 hitouts, 6 to advantage, Nanks 16 and 3. Casboult had 16 and 5 and Kreuzer 13 and 4.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
My best Prestia Martin Bolton Caddy baker Rioli Castagna jack
My not good, Graham Nakas Astbury Edwards

We had no run off the wings, McIntosh needs to come in.

Big V goes off, Carlton were on 4 goals, they kick another 8 goals from the 9 minute of the 3rd.

Our rucks weren't good.

We got slapped in the centre, Ross needs to come in.

Changes next week
Out, Nakas Short BigV and Graham
in. McIntosh Ross Cj and Balta
Not sure if it was the rucks or the mids, but our ability to gain from our ruck taps was woeful. So many hit outs just went to the oppo, it was doing my head in!!!!!!!!!

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Didn't think either team played really well. But 6 goals from free kicks, geez. Even that out a bit say 4 to 2 and it's a 50 point win. Interesting that Carlton were only .4 years younger and 11 games less experienced per player. Jack Martin made a huge difference for them too. Bit concerned about Nanks. Really starting to think CCJ deserves his chance ahead of Nanks.

Standout stat, Carlton only 23 tackles for the game to our 52.
We went off the boil when McGovern started doling out love taps behind play. Vlassy wasn't to impressed at one stage there, Astbury fell for it, Cotch got truly peeved. We lost our concentration and connection, it wasn't very Richmondy. Dimma was outstanding in his summation during the presser, spot on and fair.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not sure if it was the rucks or the mids, but our ability to gain from our ruck taps was woeful. So many hit outs just went to the oppo, it was doing my head in!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why. But over the years ive lost count when the oppostion lose a player it seems to change there style.
When Kruser was on we were slapping them, when Casboult when into the ruck they did heaps better.

Then on the other hand we lose BigV,. Carlton had only scored 4 goals, then kicked another 8 after he went off.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Pres
We went off the boil when McGovern started doling out love taps behind play. Vlassy wasn't to impressed at one stage there, Astbury fell for it, Cotch got truly peeved. We lost our concentration and connection, it wasn't very Richmondy. Dimma was outstanding in his summation during the presser, spot on and fair.

First two frees and goals were BS ones against Astbury. The 3rd Astbury free against was fair enough, behind play Astbury got sucked in. One against Edwards was fair enough. But when Tiger forwards get the treatment where are the frees? FInal forward line free count was 6 to 0 Carlton's way. Am used to it.