2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Thinking it's time to hit the draft as hard as possible this year. Whether it's complacency or simply old age n tired legs, perhaps even both. We're looking a grumpy shadow of our former selves this year. Time to ramp up the regeneration of the playing list.

Reactions: 5 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We desperately need an injection of pace and class to the midfield.

Tyler Sonsie would be ideal.

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Hey Scoop what’s your thoughts on Ned Long?

11. Ned Long​

A goalkicking midfielder with seven goals to his name through three games, Ned Long has been one of the early standouts in the NAB League. While Long is damaging forward of centre, and hits the scoreboard at will, he's equally capable through the midfield as a strong contested ball winner and tackler. At 192cm, Long is one of this year's best tall midfielders.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not sure about him as an athlete, I’ve got some time, will watch some footage on the NAB app and come back.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
anyone else watch Vic Metro V Vic Country u17 today? (2022 draft)

Brisbane will have to pay first round for Will Ashcroft. Blue Chip.

I liked what I saw of Kye Windsor and George Wardlow (VM) from a Richmond POV.

outside the obvious, I'm a fan of bottom age Nick Watson (VM - 2023).

Been watching him for a few years and Footy IQ off the charts. Think Jack Reiwoldt in Steven Milnes body with Clayton Olivers head

I'll be watching the u17 champs on the GC next week closely and will report

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Been watching him for a few years and Footy IQ off the charts. Think Jack Reiwoldt in Steven Milnes body with Clayton Olivers head

My son played against Nick Watson. Actually played on him. Kid oozes class. at Under 14 level he could kick 50 off both feet.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
My son played against Nick Watson. Actually played on him. Kid oozes class. at Under 14 level he could kick 50 off both feet.

he'd be very hard to play on.

never stands still, slippery and cunning. Huge work rate.

hes always in the right spot, even when the ball isnt.

for some reason i cant quite explain, he strikes me as a collingwood player.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
he'd be very hard to play on.

never stands still, slippery and cunning. Huge work rate.

hes always in the right spot, even when the ball isnt.

for some reason i cant quite explain, he strikes me as a collingwood player.
At junior level he played everywhere from half back to half forward to midfield. He just runs and has a monster of a kick. Slippery customer. Plays for East Ringwood. Most down that way look like Collingwood supporters!

• Haha

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yes Bianco looks a real accumulator with a bit of talent to go with it.
He and family big Colonwood followers; think we did the "noice" thing and let them take him. [And you know where nice guys can end up].

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Is that the one that cracked the sads when he wasn't selected in the first round?
Whatever; he's coming on fast. He kicked a great goal previous match bursting through a pack. He seems smart, creative and hard at it. Noticed him throw Duckwood out of the way this latest match.
Really wondering what Lions are doing in their program. So many big, strong bodies built up for midfield contested work e.g. compare Robertson and Dow for development currently. Our kids still look wasted.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
That's a price a tad to high, it's a top two then a drop off to another three or four. And I'm only saying that today, that could change.

If CCJ kicks more than 17 goals the rest of the regular season (9 games) he ends up on +25 goals.

That's impressive. Smaller sample size but look at the numbers next to Ben King for this year.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=6593&pid2=6497&fid1=S&fid2=S

King is a year younger, I accept that. Still, there is enough to get excited about if he continues on the current 2020 trajectory. My point is, it COULD be one of the second rounders and CCJ for pick 3. It's not beyond the realms. Even if it's the lower of our two firsts, thats a win for us.

Again, small sample size but look at the Harry McKay 2021 comparison vs CCJ 2021. McKay is older than CCJ by more than CCJ is older than Ben King.

Look at CCJ vs Harry McKay at the same age, CCJ is miles ahead.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=4172&pid2=6497&fid1=O&fid2=O.

This is serious currency IF CCJ holds this line of form and ends up on 20-25 goals for the year.
All this makes a powerful case for "We would be crazy to lose CCJ!!" With Jack fading (fast in Aints game; cannot kick any more!) and Lynch injury suspect, it's crucial to sign CCJ.

Besides, why on Earth would he want to take his career to GCS? Only plausible reason is to join with a couple of good RFC boys already there.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Is that the one that cracked the sads when he wasn't selected in the first round?
I cracked the sads when we didn't pick Robertson. Nothing wrong with wanting to get rated highly.
He read as the Parker pick, been the best mid for so many junior years the recruiters get complacent and he is overlooked.
Has the Cotch type competitiveness. Add a chip about not being drafted first round.
Lets hope TDow comes on, no doubt our man will be a ripper

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015

Sonsie looks good but Horne looks better.
I don't care if we only take one kid this year as long as its Horne.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Brisbane and Dogs therefore could be trade options for taking a few picks higher in the draft or into next year.

Brisbane have quite a few picks, but I doubt they will want 15 and 18 swallowed up with an Ashcroft early bid