2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
How's this stupid idea, not sure all the draft rules in terms of which picks you can't trade but -

Trade CCJ for GCS pick likely to be from 2-8 this year. They need rucks bad. Throw in our 2nd/3rd rounder and let's say they get pick 5, that's pretty good. 8 at worst.

Then Geelong let's say finish 8th it's pick 11 plus say we finish 3rd and it's pick 16. 2,396 points combined, pick 3 is worth 2,234 so maybe whoever has pick 4 bites and swaps us that for picks 11 & 16.

St Kilda's 2nd round pick we have and say they finish 13th, that's pick 24 plus our 2nd pick 34, is 1,327 points combined - pick 12 is worth 1,268 so probably pick 14 would take those two picks of 24 & 34?

Walk away with picks 4, 5, 14 which could nab you a Tyler Sonsie, Jason Horne, Josh Sinn or Josh Rozelle and the full forward Jacob Van Rooyen with the later pick 14.

And still have our best two picks available - 40 & 52, where we do our best work lol.
Now that’s working some magic Mr Rice.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
How's this stupid idea, not sure all the draft rules in terms of which picks you can't trade but -

Trade CCJ for GCS pick likely to be from 2-8 this year. They need rucks bad. Throw in our 2nd/3rd rounder and let's say they get pick 5, that's pretty good. 8 at worst.

Then Geelong let's say finish 8th it's pick 11 plus say we finish 3rd and it's pick 16. 2,396 points combined, pick 3 is worth 2,234 so maybe whoever has pick 4 bites and swaps us that for picks 11 & 16.

St Kilda's 2nd round pick we have and say they finish 13th, that's pick 24 plus our 2nd pick 34, is 1,327 points combined - pick 12 is worth 1,268 so probably pick 14 would take those two picks of 24 & 34?

Walk away with picks 4, 5, 14 which could nab you a Tyler Sonsie, Jason Horne, Josh Sinn or Josh Rozelle and the full forward Jacob Van Rooyen with the later pick 14.

And still have our best two picks available - 40 & 52, where we do our best work lol.
If we were crap would you want us to trade a top 5 pick for a guy who was pick 20, and has played 1 game in 3 years?
would you want us to trade pick 4 for 11 and 16?
or 14 for 24 and 34? (from memory we traded 15 and got 20 and 25 back.)

all nice ideas but i would say no chance of any happening.
and it probably highlights how inadequate the current point system is.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Let's deal in reality rather than fantasy is all I have to say,

Reactions: 4 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Let's deal in reality rather than fantasy is all I have to say,

Unless CCJ has a stellar rest of the year @ senior level, can't see us getting anything than a late 20's pick at most and this is taking into consideration that rucks may be highly sought after from some clubs in the post-season

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Watched some of Dandy v Sandy on the TAC app last nite.

Demons NGA prospect Mac Andrew looks and moves like Nic Cox. Not as skilful but as athletic.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
It's my burner account trying to get the Cats pick back

Can't see it happening but with Danger having ankle surgery now and to miss a chunk of the season, it would be amazing if they don't make finals. That would mean a top 10 pick for us.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
IMO CCJ is a future gun forward/ ruck.

Why are people looking to trade him out as all the hard work we've put into him is about to come through?

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Can't reconcile with all the trade CCJ talk.

Soldo out with a knee and based on all the other knee injuries it takes some time to get the trust back in the knee so for 2022 we may not see Soldo at top level output

Ryan has started well but still skinny. Cannot see him having the size to deal with the top level week in week out for another two preseasons at least so earliest we see him pushing for a top spot is 2023

Colina is still playing basketball through this year into 2022 and finish his uni course. He won't be full time until mid 2022.

So for 2022 we have a recovering Soldo + warrior Nank + inconsistent Chol + Marlion

On top of that Riewoldt is nearing the end and we will need a second tall forward which CCJ can fill.

Can't agree to trade CCJ

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Can't reconcile with all the trade CCJ talk.

Soldo out with a knee and based on all the other knee injuries it takes some time to get the trust back in the knee so for 2022 we may not see Soldo at top level output

Ryan has started well but still skinny. Cannot see him having the size to deal with the top level week in week out for another two preseasons at least so earliest we see him pushing for a top spot is 2023

Colina is still playing basketball through this year into 2022 and finish his uni course. He won't be full time until mid 2022.

So for 2022 we have a recovering Soldo + warrior Nank + inconsistent Chol + Marlion

On top of that Riewoldt is nearing the end and we will need a second tall forward which CCJ can fill.

Can't agree to trade CCJ
If the price is right he will go. Soldo and Ryan both pushing for minutes next year and Chol can be kept as back-up. Straight swap for Green in a heartbeat

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
If the price is right he will go. Soldo and Ryan both pushing for minutes next year and Chol can be kept as back-up. Straight swap for Green in a heartbeat

I would like to have Green. If the rumours are true, that GWS are ultra keen on CCJ, then we should ask for steak knives like a swap of one of our 3rd round picks for their 2nd round pick. I would still be reluctant as I think CCJ is going to be a player (looks like GWS thinks so as well) and I cannot see the point in trading him out then trying to find a replacement for Jack.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I would like to have Green. If the rumours are true, that GWS are ultra keen on CCJ, then we should ask for steak knives like a swap of one of our 3rd round picks for their 2nd round pick. I would still be reluctant as I think CCJ is going to be a player (looks like GWS thinks so as well) and I cannot see the point in trading him out then trying to find a replacement for Jack.
Personally I think Port will look hard at CCJ also. They have Dixon aging and Lycett as their no.1 ruck and Ladhams is not measuring up. We have a good history of dealing with Port so hopefully get something decent in return

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We have a good draft haul this year :

1st Rounders - Ours/Geelongs
2nd Rounders - Ours/St Kilda's
3rd Rounders - Ours/Gold Coasts

Plenty of picks means plenty of options
Im emotional
Geelong will give us pick 11
Stkilda pick 25
And pick 38 thanks Suns

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I’d package up CCJ and our own first round pick ( hopefully #18) to get inside the top five at the ND. We need to start getting premium young talent in the door.
Would you give GWS Cj and our Stkilda pick for Green??
I would.
I watched him last week, he has the best hands in the game.

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Would you give GWS Cj and our Stkilda pick for Green??
I would.
I watched him last week, he has the best hands in the game.
Sounds like a reasonable deal. Green definitely has more value as he’s contracted (I think CCJ is out of contract at the end of the year).

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
If we were crap would you want us to trade a top 5 pick for a guy who was pick 20, and has played 1 game in 3 years?
would you want us to trade pick 4 for 11 and 16?
or 14 for 24 and 34? (from memory we traded 15 and got 20 and 25 back.)

all nice ideas but i would say no chance of any happening.
and it probably highlights how inadequate the current point system is.
I did start with 'maybe a stupid idea' but I'll try and answer your response and make an argument for it :)) I would be off the belief that in drafting discussions they'd throw up hundreds of stupid trade possibilities, if they're not, then they're potentially missing out on an idea they come across that might just work, even just once is a good result for the drafting team.

I mean if Freo could get pick 2 for the great Lachie Weller then 'Anything Is Possible' :mhihi

(They did return pick 41 to GCS so it balanced out to points just over pick 4, but still way way high for Lachie Weller) :nono

If we were crap and some club was offering us CCJ for our top 5 pick, I'd consider it. You're talking about a 21 year old ruckman with the potential to play for another 10+ years, to ruck and part-time hit up forward, or vice versa. Half your rucking issues sold for the next 10 years. And in my 47 years following the game ruckman are slow maturers.

Paul Hunter - Saints - 28 years old and first game was this year
Nank - first full season was at age 22/23
Jordan Sweet - first game this year age 23
Mumford - first full season age 23
Pittonet - first full season age 24
Oscar McInerney - first season age 24
Reilly O'Brien - first ful lseason age 24
Gawn, arguably best ruckman in the league is 30 end of this year - 139 games - 10 years. First full year of 22 games was in 2016 age 24.

And if CCJ ain't better than most of those guys and Rhys Stanley, Lycett, Hickey, Jarrod Witt, Matt Flynn, Peter Wright, Lloyd Meek, Ceglar then I'll go he :)) He is only not playing because of the depth we have, Nank, Soldo, Chol, Lynch came and took the FF spot, now Samson and the Mate have come, CCJ would be 1 or 2 at most of those other clubs.

I totally agree the points system is totally inadequate and confuses the hell out of me adding up and subtracting this pick for that pick

Sorry for the long response :flush

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Can't see it happening but with Danger having ankle surgery now and to miss a chunk of the season, it would be amazing if they don't make finals. That would mean a top 10 pick for us.
Definitely death riding the Cats for their first, Saints for their second and Sun's for their third lol. As the ladder stands, the six picks we have are pick 11, 14, 24, 32, 42 & 50. Six picks inside 50, nice :mhihi