2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I’d package up CCJ and our own first round pick ( hopefully #18) to get inside the top five at the ND. We need to start getting premium young talent in the door.
Mate, I was thinking along the lines of stuff like this as well. I have a couple of pearler idea's as well, thinking aggressively with our pics lol.

Would you think we can make Gold Coast Suns and the Crows compete to give us their first round pick just for CCJ, it would likely be a pick from 2 to 8. Or would we have to throw in a 2nd/3rd rounder as well. I thought having two clubs vying for him would improve the offer back to us? (Nawf looking odds on pick 1).

Reactions: 1 user

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Yeah I think the system at the moment is warped.

There is no way that you should be able to match a top pick with a load of junk picks AND get the benefit of a 20% discount.

I personally think it should be"

A 20% discount IF you are using a pick in the same round OR
No discount provided on value for matching.

We have a great example of what it costs to match with a load of junk picks as the Dogs got to do that last year with JUH. They essentially "paid" picks 29,33,41,42,52 and 54 for him. 6 picks in a crap draft for the number 1 pick. They would have needed to find another good pick in the 20's if there was no discount, OR keep or downgrade their 1st pick for a later 1st for a partial match.

At the moment, clubs are essentially being given a double discount by getting the 20% discount and match with crap picks.
Thats all well and good in regards to the Pies plan.
But its abit like carltoon atm.
Cripps is surrounded by Turkeys.
Samething will happen with young Nick Daicos.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Mate, I was thinking along the lines of stuff like this as well. I have a couple of pearler idea's as well, thinking aggressively with our pics lol.

Would you think we can make Gold Coast Suns and the Crows compete to give us their first round pick just for CCJ, it would likely be a pick from 2 to 8. Or would we have to throw in a 2nd/3rd rounder as well. I thought having two clubs vying for him would improve the offer back to us? (Nawf looking odds on pick 1).
I’m just crazy about the idea that we are developing a young ruck bank which we can utilise to improve our draft stocks. Now that you can trade ND picks - the ceiling is the limit.
And if their confidence in young Ryan is not misplaced - then I see no problem in trading CCJ. Ryan should be cherry ripe by the time Nanks is slowing down.

• Love

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
D85, are the clubs all paying their coaches the same?

I’m curious as to how the governing body monitors who coaches who?
Pretty much.

Governing body is probably as political as Federal politics, lots of coaches at that level who are actually average at best coaches, but because they played at the highest level they get jobs.

Id imagine if Northern get a lot of players drafted this year, that the coach will get poached as he's proven he can develop players in 2 different programs.

*full disclosure, I've stepped away from working in football after being at AFL,VFL, NAB level for a long time.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Good to hear that this year appears to be a bumper draft when we have some handy picks.

I would lock away our rising stars and load up with 6 kids from the draft.

This would help ensure our dynasty continues for another 10 years.

Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’m just crazy about the idea that we are developing a young ruck bank which we can utilise to improve our draft stocks. Now that you can trade ND picks - the ceiling is the limit.
And if their confidence in young Ryan is not misplaced - then I see no problem in trading CCJ. Ryan should be cherry ripe by the time Nanks is slowing down.
I’d consider packaging up Soldo and a Ross for either a higher pick or established mid

• Love

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
*smile* posting mate :D
Would be very unusual for Mr B to come up with some ludicrous idea :cool: At this point I think we’ve got a great ruck brigade and I think Soldo would have good currency and is the least talented forward/ ruck , Nank and CJ a must keeps and Ryan looks the goods . Throwing in a Ross type would land us an A grade mid , that’s the theory

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Would be very unusual for Mr B to come up with some ludicrous idea :cool: At this point I think we’ve got a great ruck brigade and I think Soldo would have good currency and is the least talented forward/ ruck , Nank and CJ a must keeps and Ryan looks the goods . Throwing in a Ross type would land us an A grade mid , that’s the theory

Why do you hate Ross so much ?

• Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Why do you hate Ross so much ?
Makes me think of Lyon:))

I like Ross , think he’s going to be a good B grader , I like Dow and Martyn more and you don’t win flags without a gun mid , I think Soldo and Ross and pick tweaks could give us a gun .

• Love

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Be very careful letting Soldo go.
Those Croatians stick together

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Makes me think of Lyon:))

I like Ross , think he’s going to be a good B grader , I like Dow and Martyn more and you don’t win flags without a gun mid , I think Soldo and Ross and pick tweaks could give us a gun .
Well, ok. (You sure do hate him though.)

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Thats all well and good in regards to the Pies plan.
But its abit like carltoon atm.
Cripps is surrounded by Turkeys.
Samething will happen with young Nick Daicos.
Probably going to lose my newbie honeymoon period now :ban So hear goes :))

I don't know what the fuss is with Cripps or as I call him Fatty Chipps. Yes he gets contested possessions, that's fantastic but he handballs to the bloke standing next to him, in the past Murphy or Gibbs, now Walsh. He is no different than a dinosaur ruckman so Carltoon are forced to play with two slow handball machines on-ball, Fatty Chipps and the ruckman.

He has no pace, can't kick 25 metres, can't even kick straight. Missed another from dead in front 25m on the weekend. What's his highlight reel? Gets ball, a handball, then a slow jog up the ground.

George has a better highlight reel, great chases and tackles you actually see him doing something, a goal of the year right, or at least goal of the week versus Freo? And 0.5 in a Grand Final, that's sick

I mean he's so good since Judd retired after 2015 the only Carltoon player to finish top 3 in the best and fairest for three straight years is Ed Curnow. Ed Curnow. Not Fatty Chipps. Ed Curnow. This for Carltoon who win about 5-10 games a year since 2016.

And last year finished 9th in the B&F.
Levi Casboult finished 8th!!
That is all.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Toby's still just 26 until August. Ryan is 20, turns 21 in December, Mate Colina turns 22 in May.

So minus CCJ, we still could have a Ryan/Colina duo until 2030, 2031. And of course in between that time have brought through another 2, 3 young ruckman. That's pretty good

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Shai signs a 5 year extension

Speaking of which, Dermie "master of the obvious statement" Brereton reckons West Coast and Freo should go all out to lure young Shai home because he is a gun player.

Who'd a thunk they'd try that? Pity they don't have the salary cap space.

• Sad

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
How's this stupid idea, not sure all the draft rules in terms of which picks you can't trade but -

Trade CCJ for GCS pick likely to be from 2-8 this year. They need rucks bad. Throw in our 2nd/3rd rounder and let's say they get pick 5, that's pretty good. 8 at worst.

Then Geelong let's say finish 8th it's pick 11 plus say we finish 3rd and it's pick 16. 2,396 points combined, pick 3 is worth 2,234 so maybe whoever has pick 4 bites and swaps us that for picks 11 & 16.

St Kilda's 2nd round pick we have and say they finish 13th, that's pick 24 plus our 2nd pick 34, is 1,327 points combined - pick 12 is worth 1,268 so probably pick 14 would take those two picks of 24 & 34?

Walk away with picks 4, 5, 14 which could nab you a Tyler Sonsie, Jason Horne, Josh Sinn or Josh Rozelle and the full forward Jacob Van Rooyen with the later pick 14.

And still have our best two picks available - 40 & 52, where we do our best work lol.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I’m not sure the guy who’s gunna miss this season with an ACL has a whole heap of currency though Mr B. Ok, maybe if we,re talking Dusty, but Soldo? Not trying to denigrate Ivan either.