2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Three-way, something like we give GC 9 and CJ, they give Freo 5 and Freo gives us Cerra? That's too much for Cerra for me. I'd give 9, but not CJ as well.
Forgot we'd get pick 19 too. So, maybe. 9 and CJ for Cerra and 19? Probably yes.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Would depend if the kid you'd get at 3 (5 after Daicos and Darcy bids) is substantially better than the kid you'd get at 5 (7). And of course CJ would want a say in where he goes.

I think CJ wants to stay but other clubs will offer more $ and a regular game.

Three-way, something like we give GC 9 and CJ, they give Freo 5 and Freo gives us Cerra? That's too much for Cerra for me. I'd give 9, but not CJ as well.
I'd think 9 is around Cerras worth.

Its why I'm hoping we take out pick up and out of the Cerra equation which is where I see extra value in letting CJ leave for an upgrade of our 1st.

I'd consider using our Geelong pick and next years 1st as the base of our bid for Cerra (we would get something back). If we could do Geelongs 1st and our 1st next year for Cerra and Pick 27, I'd do that too.

I'm thinking something like this.

9 + CJ to Giants (assuming he wants to go there), for 3 and 48
17 and 2021 1st to Freo for Cerra and 27
28, 42 and 46 to the Dogs for 18 and Lipinski

Then take 3, 18, 26, 27 and 48 to the draft. Imagine if we got Hobbs, Sonsie with the 1st 2 and then best available with the rest. Huge reset to our midfield.

Reckon thats enough for a reset for 1 year. We go again hard for the premiership next year with a revamped midfield / wing. We would need to hold onto Chol if we did this. We may have to trade Caddy out for a junk pick to do this as a salary dump. Someone like Hawthorn would do a trade like that.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Question for those suggesting CCJ and our first for GWS or Suns top 5 pick to get Hobbs.

If Hobbs is such a once in a generation player why would Norf or Hawks take him.

What is the alternate pick if Hobbs is not on board and is that worth losing CCJ

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Matthew Roberts, Josh Ward, Tyler Sonsie, Matthew Johnson, Arlo Draper.

Think Ben Hobbs will be out of our reach.
ESPN draft watch has listed Hobbs deficiencies as lack of pace and endurance.
Doesn’t sound like a player we’d be interested in?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
ESPN draft watch has listed Hobbs deficiencies as lack of pace and endurance.
Doesn’t sound like a player we’d be interested in?
Let's see the testing, those deficiencies aren't based on data. Once we have that we can make some real decisions about his athleticism.

A inside ball winner, ex state basketballer, performed well at junior state carnivals, super competitive. There's so much to like.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
@Scoop what are your thoughts on Neil Erasmus?
I get these types wrong all the time. I wasn’t sold on Perkins in last years draft and he shown heaps. Erasmus has won heaps of ball at WAFL colts level so I’m comfortable with him as a mid prospect. He’s tall and can go forward as a marking option. A 188cm mid who wins a heap of ball and is a good overhead mark. That’s interesting. And everything I read says the boy is improving rapidly. That counts. And he is a December baby, will be 18 all next year. I’m a fan.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I get these types wrong all the time. I wasn’t sold on Perkins in last years draft and he shown heaps. Erasmus has won heaps of ball at WAFL colts level so I’m comfortable with him as a mid prospect. He’s tall and can go forward as a marking option. A 188cm mid who wins a heap of ball and is a good overhead mark. That’s interesting. And everything I read says the boy is improving rapidly. That counts. And he is a December baby, will be 18 all next year. I’m a fan.
Outside the top 3 players, do we think there is anyone that we should reach for earlier than our probable first pick in the 10-12 range?
Looks like most key position players seem to be outside the top 10 except for Gibcus and Andrew, so if we trade down, we’d most likely be chasing a particular midfielder?
Any strong opinions at this early stage?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
He has come into top 10 calculations.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Outside the top 3 players, do we think there is anyone that we should reach for earlier than our probable first pick in the 10-12 range?
Looks like most key position players seem to be outside the top 10 except for Gibcus and Andrew, so if we trade down, we’d most likely be chasing a particular midfielder?
Any strong opinions at this early stage?
I don't have a super strong viewpoint on anyone player yet but I certainly am not down on Tyler Sonsie like everyone else seems to be. I see him as an absolute first class option. I still have him as top 8 talent.

Reactions: 1 user

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
with this draft hand, I'd be trading into the 2022 draft as well.

Brisbane will be looking to offload their 2022 first, with Will Ashcroft FS likely to get a top 5 bid.
Why can't we just offload some of our 2nd and 3rd rounders for the Dogs 1st this year? Darcy is projected as a top 3 pick at this stage.

While our window is open, I don't see the point in kicking the can down the road again after not using a 1st round pick last year.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The Dogs will need their first and more to pay for Darcy. More likely is we trade them a second for Richards or Lipinski. Another option would be to give Collingwood some picks to help them pay for Daicos, say a second and third for their second and third next year, which are likely to be early, ie. turn picks 28 and 46 this year into picks 20 and 38 next year.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I've read all that about him too but haven't seen him play. Have you? Who would you liken him to?

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
The Dogs will need their first and more to pay for Darcy. More likely is we trade them a second for Richards or Lipinski. Another option would be to give Collingwood some picks to help them pay for Daicos, say a second and third for their second and third next year, which are likely to be early, ie. turn picks 28 and 46 this year into picks 20 and 38 next year.

Pick 26 + pick 42 have a greater value than pick 18. I'm not saying do that deal but trading into 2022 and forecasting ladder positions is a tough task.

We should be aiming to get as much talent through the door as quickly as possible. Whether that be through trade or draft.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Pick 26 + pick 42 have a greater value than pick 18. I'm not saying do that deal but trading into 2022 and forecasting ladder positions is a tough task.

We should be aiming to get as much talent through the door as quickly as possible. Whether that be through trade or draft.
Yes, but if a bid comes at 2 for Darcy, pick 18 + 26 + 42 would just cover it. Currently they have pick 18 then pick 73.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Why can't we just offload some of our 2nd and 3rd rounders for the Dogs 1st this year? Darcy is projected as a top 3 pick at this stage.

While our window is open, I don't see the point in kicking the can down the road again after not using a 1st round pick last year.

Its simply diversification thinking from me.

I'd rather the 5th best hand in consecutive drafts, than the 1st best in one and the 10th best in the next.

But, yeah, if there's a dusty or an Alex Rance or a jack Riewoldt there, I want the best hand.

further, I think this draft crop will have some of the least exposed form, and better players in the 2nd and 3rd round.

virtually no footy 2020 and very stop/start 2021.

I think we should see some continuity to elite junior season 2022

Reactions: 1 users