2021 Fixture | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Fixture

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I had been meaning to start a thread along these lines.
From this year's experience AFL could have adopted the hub concept to reduce travel demands.
Instead of teams retuning home each week I think that going on road trips for 2 weeks = 3 games (Sun/ Sat/ Fri) would help just abut every team.
The biggest issue about away games is the travel and flight time (not nights away from home) as proved this year.
We play 5 or 6 interstate games a year. We could reduce the travel by half if our fixture was something like this:
1st road trip: Qld v Lions, then onto Darwin for Top End dreamtime, game in SA on way home.
2nd road trip: WA play both Eagles and dockers,
3rd trip: same day to Sydney

Benefit is fewer long haul flights and also two mini hubs to break up the season, recapture some of the 2020 spirit.

For fans - could organise longer holidays around the Tigers fixture. And wouldn't make any difference for those who pick one or two games a year to travel for.

For non Vic teams this concept would be a major improvement on current travel arrangements. Take the eagles - year after year they do 20 cross continent flights. Their games could be split:
Road trip 1 - 2 games in Vic, one SA on way home - total 3
Road trip 2 - 2 in Qld, 1 in NSW on way home - total 3
Road trip 3 - 4 in Vic

so there total cross content flights are reduced to 6.

Does that make sense? Upset the traditionalists? Any trap doors?

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Happy the season isn't being extended (as was the rumour) and happy they are rolling it out in 4-6 week blocks (as long as we know the who is playing who on which weekend, so we can plan travel). I think the biggest surprise is the March 18 start. With preseason not starting til January, I would have thought it'll start 4-6 weeks later. But at least you’d think crowds will be at least 50% capacity by then.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Article in today's HS.....

"Double Unfurling ... Tigers have 2 flags to fly in Round 1"

Two things here... I know the fixture hasn't officially been done but if it's 'normal' service. .... it's not gonna be our home game. Or did I miss some sort of comment from McLaughlin's press conference yesterday?

IMO the club should be holding off until we can get a near on capacity crowd. Reckon it will be pretty sad if the majority of members who donated towards the cause this year don't at least get something for the sacrifice.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Two things here... I know the fixture hasn't officially been done but if it's 'normal' service. .... it's not gonna be our home game. Or did I miss some sort of comment from McLaughlin's press conference yesterday?

IMO the club should be holding off until we can get a near on capacity crowd. Reckon it will be pretty sad if the majority of members who donated towards the cause this year don't at least get something for the sacrifice.
It’s sad yes Aoc.
But I doubt you will see crowds like we saw in 19 in 21 for most of the season.
Maybe towards the end of the H&A before finals but I somehow doubt it.

Hope I’m wrong though.

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008

Our first home game should be against GWS. Given the expectation of reduced crowd numbers, this would give the most opportunity for Richmond members to see the double unfurling.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Trouble with postponing the flag unfurlings (geez I like the way that is plural) is the uncertainty over crowd sizes. I figure they have to go for it as soon as they get decent crowds, which may mean 25K.

I would like to see them unfurl the flags at the start of the first home game and then carry them over to Punt Rd for maybe a week so people can come in to see them in small groups.

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Our first home game should be against GWS. Given the expectation of reduced crowd numbers, this would give the most opportunity for Richmond members to see the double unfurling.
The way Magpies fans are microwaving memberships of late playing them could have the same result in regard to crowd numbers