2021 List | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 List

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
They were all 1st round bids though, hence why they posted the deficit against Freos 1st rounder.

See the attached article.

The main bit is way down the article so I've copied it out below.

"
Will the points be subtracted from their first pick?
If that's where the bid they are matching was placed.
Under that scenario, the club's future first pick will be repositioned in the drafted order. Owing 300 points, for instance, would see pick 4 moved to pick 7.
However, if a club runs out of points matching a bid for a player in the third round, the points owed would be subtracted from their future third round selection.

That pick would also then be repositioned in the draft order, according to the DVI."
Ok mate, it’s a bit confusing for some of us o_O
Your explanation makes sense. Thank you for clarifying it for me.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Ok mate, it’s a bit confusing for some of us o_O
Your explanation makes sense. Thank you for clarifying it for me.

Its much like most of what the AFL brings in. Confusing. Haha, confused us all.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Correct me if wrong here.

List size: 37-44
36-38 listed
up to 6 cat A rookies
up to 2 cat B rookies

Richmond:
35 listed
5 cat A (Aarts, Chol, Miller, Pickett, Stack)
1 cat B (Colina)

We must either upgrade at least one rookie (Pickett?) or use at least one PSD pick.

We have scope to add 3 players to the main list (salary cap permitting).

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

36-38 listed
1-6 cat A rookies
0-2 cat B rookies

Richmond:
35 listed
1 cat B (Colina)

We must either upgrade at least one rookie (Pickett?) or use at least one PSD pick.

That's what I've got & posted on the contract List thread this morning.

We cant get to max 44 unless we pick another Cat B rookie, rule is 42 max + max 2 Cat B

Will we go Ethan Baxter as a Cat B ?

Reactions: 1 user

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Theoretically upgrade (say) Pickett + take another cat B. Still leaves two spots on the list proper.

Is it compulsory to participate in the rookie draft?
We have to upgrade 1 to Main list , we are 35 & need min 36

No, we dont need to participate in the rookie draft

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Theoretically upgrade (say) Pickett + take another cat B. Still leaves two spots on the list proper.

Is it compulsory to participate in the rookie draft?

I don't believe so.

I'd guess we will promote Pickett and then either take 1 rookie pick (and leave 1 spot open for mid season), or we will take 2 rookie picks if there are 2 available that we like. Theres a chance though that there is no-one left that we like and then don't pick in the rookie draft and go in with 2 less spots and look to filling them mid season

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
We have to upgrade 1 to Main list , we are 35 & need min 36

No, we dont need to participate in the rookie draft
We could take a player in the PSD to make up to 36, maybe that's the strategy ?

Seems add to pass on our last pick & then take someone in PSD though

I am none the wiser so I might do some work now !

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
After the uncertainty about this year's candidates, gives us a chance to invite a few to train and have a look before buying.
The PSD is in an hour though !!

I think you mean the Supplementary Selection Period that we took Stacky with , or maybe the Mid Season Rookie Draft that we got Marlion, either way they are rookies, we need a main lister

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

36-38 listed
up to 6 cat A rookies
up to 2 cat B rookies

Richmond:
35 listed
1 cat B (Colina)

Probably upgrade Marlion and then Pass in the PSD, unless we take a kid to train over summer to have a look at.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Just looking at the make-up of our list management as it stands at present;

Last season: 44 players (including Rance)
Now: 41 players (including Houli & Colina)

Players who have left since last season (excluding Rance):
Markov (half back flanker)
Eggmolese-Smith (half back flanker)
Higgins (forward/midfielder)
English (midfielder)
Turner (winger)

Players who have arrived since last season:
Ryan (ruckman)
Rioli (small forward)

Imo, it is interesting that the players that the club have brought in are not like for like with the players who have left and there seems to be a significant change in the make-up of our list since last season and obviously a significant reduction in the number of players on the list. I am not sure what sense to make of it really. According to the RFC recruiting manager in an interview since the draft, the club has the option of drafting another player in the supplementary period over the next 2-3 months, like the club did with Sydney Stack.

Essentially from a net position we have lost 2 half back flankers, a midfielder, a player who wanted to be primarily a midfielder (Higgins) and a winger and gained a ruckman and a small forward. With the loss of those 5 players and being 3 players short of our maximum list size, our VFL team will surely be weakened for next season. To add to the issue, it appears that Soldo will be out of action for most or all of next season and Cumberland will be out of action for probably at least half of next season, so at the start of next season we may have only 39 available players.

The club may be going into next season 2 or 3 players short of our maximum number because Houli is yet to be contracted and we have 23 players (including Bolton) who will be out of contract at the end of next season. I suggest that to have more than half your list out of contract at the one time is a very big thing, particularly with a reduced TPP salary cap imposed by the AFL going forward. I thought that the club did very well in signing up several players at the end of last season, including Nankervis, Broad, RCD but in doing so, it may well have left the club with salary cap problems going forward. Imo, it is conceivable that Eggmolese-Smith and/or Turner and/or English may essentially be victims of salary cap pressures and to enable the club to have a salary cap "buffer" to try to retain most or all of the 23 players who are out of contract at the end of next season.

To my knowledge, it is not clear at this time as to whether Nate Colina will be at the club for the start of next season. If he is there, the club could have 7 players who could play in the ruck at least part time at some time during next season, being Nankervis, Soldo, Coleman-Jones, Chol, Colina, Nyuon and Miller. We could have a somewhat top heavy VFL side if the club decides to use Nankervis as the sole ruckman in the AFL games.

For me, as it stands at present, I am certainly not clear as to what the club is doing with its list management decisions.

Reactions: 1 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
AFL
B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Houli Balta Baker
C: McIntosh Bolton Pickett
HF: Edwards Riewoldt Lambert
F: Martin Lynch Castagna
FOLL: Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia
INTER: Short, Graham, D.Rioli, Coleman-Jones (Soldo)
EMERG: Broad, Caddy, Ross, Stack

VFL
B: Nyuon Miller Broad
HB: Naish Garthwaite Stack
C: Ralphsmith Ross Dow
HF: Caddy Chol Aarts
F: Cumberland Coleman-Jones (Colina) M.Rioli
FOLL: Ryan, Collier-Dawkins, Martyn

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
To my knowledge, it is not clear at this time as to whether Nate Colina will be at the club for the start of next season. If he is there, the club could have 7 players who could play in the ruck at least part time at some time during next season, being Nankervis, Soldo, Coleman-Jones, Chol, Colina, Nyuon and Miller. We could have a somewhat top heavy VFL side if the club decides to use Nankervis as the sole ruckman in the AFL games.
Read somewhere that he's playing basketball o/s until March and still has aspirations in that sport also. Not sure he'll play much footy next year.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
With the most compromised draft and the lack of exposed form you can pretty much guarantee it's a lucky dip around our pick. That won't stop the haters berating the club if a player after our pick comes good.

6 picks in next year's draft is good but it doesn't necessarily mean 6 players need to make way.

Maybe we will package picks and move up the draft?

Maybe we have our eyes on someone and looking to use some picks.

One thing for sure it will definitely be worth keeping a keen eye on next year's batch and don't forget the free agents too.

Regardless of where we finish we are very well positioned to spend as we see fit.

Well done Richmond.

Last edited:

Flea74

Tiger Rookie
Aug 10, 2004
Horsham
This may have been already discussed on another thread. how does the long term injury list work for 2021? Soldo did his knee on Sept. 11, 2020... not sure how long after that he had surgery... but 12 months of rehab. (especially for a big bloke) after the date of surgery; would see him out for the entire '21 season (GF presumably will be last Saturday in September, 2021). so im presuming we can pick-up an extra player somewhere down the line to cover Soldo whilst he is on the long term injury list?

Reactions: 2 users