2021 may be the best yet | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 may be the best yet

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Great post carter! For what it’s worth, I was wrong a few times in 2017... #i was w w w w

just so as history doesn't get rewritten,

Carter never lost sight of the big picture.

It was Baron Samedi that martyred himself to conjure up our 3 premierships, through selfless decoy negativism

in that sense, he was A Richmond Man, before the term was invented.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think we’ve been written off as premiership favourite, if not a strong contender. Barrett, Kingy, Gerard, etc
We really shouldn't be favourite. 3 in a row is rare. Natural for neutrals to look elsewhere for a winner.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Not worried - even if we lose our next 2.

Just need to break even before the bye.

We are the best at timing our run and getting our players peaking for September.

The Dees and Dogs can fight it out for the May cup. I'd actually be more worried if we were purring like these 2 are at the moment.

It's a long season and things change quickly. You just gotta make sure you're purring at the right time of the year.

We have Vlastuin, Prestia, Martin, Lambert out - which may well be a blessing in disguise.

My only concern is Nank - I'd like to see him sit out some games during the year. Don't want him to play all 22 games leading into finals.

Yeah we looked second rate against the Dees on Saturday night but would you fear them if we had our best 22 in peak form ? Nup.

Reactions: 11 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

We are the best at timing our run and getting our players peaking for September.

The Dees and Dogs can fight it out for the May cup. I'd actually be more worried if we were purring like these 2 are at the moment.

It's a long season and things change quickly. You just gotta make sure you're purring at the right time of the year.

We have Vlastuin, Prestia, Martin, Lambert out - which may well be a blessing in disguise.

My only concern is Nank - I'd like to see him sit out some games during the year. Don't want him to play all 22 games leading into finals.

Yeah we looked second rate against the Dees on Saturday night but would you fear them if we had our best 22 in peak form ? Nup.

All true Haz

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
The only season we have been top of the tree after round 6 was 2018. That didn't finish so well.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I am not expecting to win the next 2 games and especially this week purely based on the personnel out. Martin, Prestia, Lambert & Vlastuin are a quartet you could least afford to lose. Get them back and we will no doubt see a massive improvement.

However we still need to address how we set up structurally. The match committee persisting with one ruck is pure madness. Its been tried and tested for a couple of years now and has failed every single time.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
LTRTR - what was the ave age of those Hawks/Lions 3-peat sides?
Club
Year
H&A avg age
H&A diff
H&A finish
GF team
Bris
2001​
24.67​
-0.11​
2nd​
25.41​
Bris
2002​
25.48​
+0.92​
2nd​
26.36​
Bris
2003​
26.30​
+1.77​
3rd​
26.72​
Geel
2007​
24.46​
-0.46​
1st​
25.49​
Geel
2009​
25.65​
+1.12​
2nd​
26.71​
Geel
2011​
26.68​
+2.38​
1st​
27.27​
Haw
2013​
26.01​
+1.32​
1st​
26.76​
Haw
2014​
25.85​
+0.93​
2nd​
26.80​
Haw
2015​
26.82​
+1.87​
3rd​
27.83​
Rich
2017​
24.65​
-0.46​
3rd​
25.12​
Rich
2019​
25.03​
-0.27​
3rd​
26.48​
Rich
2020​
25.83​
+0.26​
3rd​
27.12​
Rich
2021​
26.94​
+1.60​
7th*​

H&A diff = difference between average age and the average of the other clubs combined

Reactions: 2 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
That we only used 49 of 75 rotations against the Dees says volumes also. I've never seen such a low number. It didn't impact the result (the Dees were good), but the boys would have been absolutely knackered and that would have contributed to our inability to run our system effectively.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Sam McClure showed something on this on Footy Classified last night. We are around a year and half younger than the Hawks and over 2 years younger than the Lions were at this stage of their dominance. He was highlighting that we still have plenty left in the tank, despite Hutchy trying hard to get people to agree with him to write us off.
hutchy tipping the Suns for next year's flag yet ? [for 10th year in a row]

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
That we only used 49 of 75 rotations against the Dees says volumes also. I've never seen such a low number. It didn't impact the result (the Dees were good), but the boys would have been absolutely knackered and that would have contributed to our inability to run our system effectively.
wasn't aware of this. even more confident now

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Melbourne are genuinely good. On the game day thread someone posted about how they have become less selfish and playing much more of a team game. Make no mistake, I'm not convinced they can go all the way, but they are bloody close.

Despite this, there is one question which gives me a lot of hope: How much do you think Melbourne can improve from the way they played last Saturday compared to how much Richmond can improve? I reckon Melbourne were close to their best last Saturday and we were clearly a long way from our best.

We have far more upside. Some tweaking needed, I think we need to reduce the distances run by some of our players as the return on effort is not as high as it has been for the past couple of years. But we can adjust, we have quality players to return, we have players who will improve over the journey - we can get so much better than we played last week and I'm not convinced the opposition can.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
* except in 2017 and 2020 preliminary and grand finals?
2017 yes but I cant have 2020.

Balta can be classified as a genuine second ruck. Even Astbury to an extent. They both have the strength but more importantly the height especially at boundary throw ins or stoppages to properly compete. This is where undersized players such as Pickett. He was killed in this area last weekend. Gave away cheap frees.

Grigg was so good in this role due purely to his footy IQ. He basically outsmarted his opponent. One of a kind.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
2017 yes but I cant have 2020.

Balta can be classified as a genuine second ruck. Even Astbury to an extent. They both have the strength but more importantly the height especially at boundary throw ins or stoppages to properly compete. This is where undersized players such as Pickett. He was killed in this area last weekend. Gave away cheap frees.

Grigg was so good in this role due purely to his footy IQ. He basically outsmarted his opponent. One of a kind.

im gonna have to meet you a quarter way to the middle Aces.

Balta I'll give you as half a ruckman,

but im not giving you an inch of ground on DTLD

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I am not expecting to win the next 2 games and especially this week purely based on the personnel out. Martin, Prestia, Lambert & Vlastuin are a quartet you could least afford to lose. Get them back and we will no doubt see a massive improvement.

However we still need to address how we set up structurally. The match committee persisting with one ruck is pure madness. Its been tried and tested for a couple of years now and has failed every single time.
The one ruck thing goes back to it working in 2017. Oddly enough even Hardwick admits that was completely unplanned and forced on us by Griffiths going down with concussion in Rd 2, even then we tried guys like Elton before admitting defeat and effectively making Grigg an unlikely second ruck.