2021 may be the best yet | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 may be the best yet

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
When I started following the Tiges in the early sixties we were woeful and would have given our left one to still be in the hunt at this stage of the year. Some talked of 2022 when we were 7 wins 7 losses and still in the 8!

It aint over til it's over...

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
At least its not a new thread.

Reactions: 1 user

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Our midfield is faarked.

But I think we play with freedom this week. A freshness we haven’t seen since 2017.

Hear me out here. If the WC loss was about “needing the bye”, the StK loss about “waking up”, then the GC loss is surely about “something is fundamentally wrong and we need to change”.

What that change represents only the club can know.

Sometimes it is as simple as taking finals, the future, out of every conversation and focusing instead on quarter to quarter objectives. Baby steps now, like we are starting all over again.

Yes we are lacking a critical core of ruck/midfield experience, but I think we throw caution to the wind and apply kamikaze chaos from the outset against Collingwood.

All it takes is one win to stoke the unforgettable fire.

Look into the players eyes in the team song if we beat Collingwood. Ignore us at your peril if we get a sniff of blood in the water.

Finish 8th with Nank healthy. That’s all we need to do for all hell to be unleashed.

I’m still on this train.
The audacity of hope.

Why not.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
When I started following the Tiges in the early sixties we were woeful and would have given our left one to still be in the hunt at this stage of the year. Some talked of 2022 when we were 7 wins 7 losses and still in the 8!

It aint over til it's over...

There are plenty talking about 2022, AJ. You can bet Dimma is still hellbent on doing some damage. He may be struggling tactically but putting the cue in the rack ain’t something he knows how to do.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
And yet you read every word. You love it
I try and understand it. But I'm pretty simple. We have too many injuries and a different set of rules designed to inhibit our well honed and practised style. Chaos doesn't work with stand. I don't think we make the 8, and without an influx of our best its moot anyway. You can't spin 3 losses in a row to poor opposition. Caution to the wind don't cut it. Nank to the middle does, Lambert and Prestia to the middle does.

I'd love to see us scrounge enough to make it, especially if we get most of the band back together. But I think we need an eye to 2022.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Our midfield is faarked.

But I think we play with freedom this week. A freshness we haven’t seen since 2017.

Hear me out here. If the WC loss was about “needing the bye”, the StK loss about “waking up”, then the GC loss is surely about “something is fundamentally wrong and we need to change”.

Sometimes it is as simple as taking finals, the future, out of every conversation and focusing instead on quarter to quarter objectives. Baby steps now, like we are starting all over again.

Yes we are lacking a critical core of ruck/midfield experience, but I think we throw caution to the wind and apply kamikaze chaos from the outset against Collingwood.

Look into the players eyes in the team song if we beat Collingwood. Ignore us at your peril if we get a sniff of blood in the water.

Finish 8th with Nank healthy. That’s all we need to do for all hell to be unleashed.

I’m still on this train.
Do that & we should pretty much have all the injured guys back again. look out if we hit Finals fresh & with a near full side available, no1 will want to play us.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I try and understand it. But I'm pretty simple. We have too many injuries and a different set of rules designed to inhibit our well honed and practised style. Chaos doesn't work with stand. I don't think we make the 8, and without an influx of our best its moot anyway. You can't spin 3 losses in a row to poor opposition. Caution to the wind don't cut it. Nank to the middle does, Lambert and Prestia to the middle does.

I'd love to see us scrounge enough to make it, especially if we get most of the band back together. But I think we need an eye to 2022.

Chaos is possible with stand - it just takes an immense effort. This is partly why the wheels have fallen off. And why Dimma tried controlling the pill instead.

Scrape into 8th and we all know ball movement will tighten up and chaos will become more effective.

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
Chaos is possible with stand - it just takes an immense effort. This is partly why the wheels have fallen off. And why Dimma tried controlling the pill instead.

Scrape into 8th and we all know ball movement will tighten up and chaos will become more effective.
Finals are chaos

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
One of the main things that's been lacking from our game this year is players running shotgun.

been watching some games from 2017 to 2020 during the past couple of days (trying to make some sense of our poor form) and the biggest thing that stands out (and what's missing this year) is the amount of players we had running shotgun to the ball carrier.

we had players to the left and to the right of the ball carrier all the time.

more jumpers in the screen is a statement Dimma uses all the time. it's been lacking this year. why?

this is all mindset and to have the confidence to leave your man to provide running support.

last week we tried to play on more and tried to move the ball quicker, but didn't have the running support to work it by hand to a team mate in a better position. so had to bomb blindly nowhere.

we need to re-discover this missing element of our game quickly.

Reactions: 6 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Our midfield is faarked.

I’m still on this train.
you're definitely on somethin mate :)

• Haha

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
you're definitely on somethin mate :)

there's no sign of a form reversal, I get it :)

and if we win this week, Taz?

folks are giving a three-time cup winner no chance after a few bad games and some injuries.

where's the confidence?

Last edited:

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
One of the main things that's been lacking from our game this year is players running shotgun.

been watching some games from 2017 to 2020 during the past couple of days (trying to make some sense of our poor form) and the biggest thing that stands out (and what's missing this year) is the amount of players we had running shotgun to the ball carrier.

we had players to the left and to the right of the ball carrier all the time.

more jumpers in the screen is a statement Dimma uses all the time. it's been lacking this year. why?

this is all mindset and to have the confidence to leave your man to provide running support.

last week we tried to play on more and tried to move the ball quicker, but didn't have the running support to work it by hand to a team mate in a better position. so had to bomb blindly nowhere.

we need to re-discover this missing element of our game quickly.

we played scared against GC.

i reckon Dimma put the acid on our defence last week, but what he needs to do is give us licence to ride shotgun, as you say. joy in attack, that's always been the secret of 2017-2020

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
well look younger and faster with Nank back

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
well look younger and faster with Nank back
Didn’t you used to talk about the max amount VFL players the side could carry as a bit of a barometer?
To me if Naish/Ross/Dow/RCD/Chol/Manselare all in the side that’s about 4 too many.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
there's no sign of a form reversal, I get it :)

and if we win this week, Taz?

folks are giving a three-time cup winner no chance after a few bad games and some injuries.

where's the confidence?
LOL, Im not off the tiggy train just yet mate, Its been a roller coaster last 5 years & loved every minute of it.

I think its agreed we have the need for speed.

Get Syd, MP, Hugo & Junior in & bingo bango our whole dynamic changes

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
ross, naish and chol can't be part of the resurgence, farrk no
I think we essentially agree that getting the band back together is step 1. Working on the harmonies can’t happen if Lambert isn’t on bass and Nank on the drums IMO