2021 may be the best yet | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 may be the best yet

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Just looking at a glaring stat, we are 17th in Kicks, 12th in Disposals yet equal first in Total Clangers. Ball use has been woeful. And teams have punished us on the turnover.

Looking at some stats (ridiculuos really and fraught with peril) and one called Score Launch - Score Launch: Scoring chains launched by an intercept possession, free kick, hitout-to-advantage or clearance. I note Jayden Short is ranked 16th in this stat. Broad is ranked 2nd at tigerland after Nank. Broad has 3 times as many score launches as Short. On averages Short drops to 24th on the tigers list. Although on Score Involvements Short moves up to 20th on averages. It would suggest Short's kicking is a myth.

Interestingly our top 5 average score launch players in 2021 are Nank/Broad/Balta/Edwards with Houli 6th. Maybe all missing this week.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Didn’t you used to talk about the max amount VFL players the side could carry as a bit of a barometer?
To me if Naish/Ross/Dow/RCD/Chol/Manselare all in the side that’s about 4 too many.

yes,

but I'd only have Naish, Ross firmly in the VFL category.

its been a while since the law was relevant, but I think > 4 VFL index meant I ruled a line through us.

It doesnt mean players elevated from the VFL. It means players who are comfortable at VFL, and not AFL level.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Jack Riewoldt still thinks the best is yet to come.
Can't get much worse than a fair bit of what we've had to watch so far this year. Get our players and game rolling again this year n our best will scare the crap out of every oppo side in the comp. Not real certain that we'll find our best over the next couple of months though.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
One of the main things that's been lacking from our game this year is players running shotgun.

been watching some games from 2017 to 2020 during the past couple of days (trying to make some sense of our poor form) and the biggest thing that stands out (and what's missing this year) is the amount of players we had running shotgun to the ball carrier.

we had players to the left and to the right of the ball carrier all the time.

more jumpers in the screen is a statement Dimma uses all the time. it's been lacking this year. why?

this is all mindset and to have the confidence to leave your man to provide running support.

last week we tried to play on more and tried to move the ball quicker, but didn't have the running support to work it by hand to a team mate in a better position. so had to bomb blindly nowhere.

we need to re-discover this missing element of our game quickly.
Older players are slower. Newer players aren't as good as the older players and can't cover the ground.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Can't get much worse than a fair bit of what we've had to watch so far this year. Get our players and game rolling again this year n our best will scare the crap out of every oppo side in the comp. Not real certain that we'll find our best over the next couple of months though.
He had this look tonight that I hadn’t seen for a while. Angry.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Just looking at a glaring stat, we are 17th in Kicks, 12th in Disposals yet equal first in Total Clangers. Ball use has been woeful. And teams have punished us on the turnover.

Looking at some stats (ridiculuos really and fraught with peril) and one called Score Launch - Score Launch: Scoring chains launched by an intercept possession, free kick, hitout-to-advantage or clearance. I note Jayden Short is ranked 16th in this stat. Broad is ranked 2nd at tigerland after Nank. Broad has 3 times as many score launches as Short. On averages Short drops to 24th on the tigers list. Although on Score Involvements Short moves up to 20th on averages. It would suggest Short's kicking is a myth.

Interestingly our top 5 average score launch players in 2021 are Nank/Broad/Balta/Edwards with Houli 6th. Maybe all missing this week.
Revealing, Jazz.

Free kicks against count as clangers, so we get a head start there, but our skill errors have been glaring.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Revealing, Jazz.

Free kicks against count as clangers, so we get a head start there, but our skill errors have been glaring.
I’d assume a large % of clangers also come from kicks rather than handballs? Given we r second last in total kicks it’s a shocking stat to be leading.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Shorts AFL rankings in 2021 for all defenders

He is 5th in ave kicks.
12th in ave Disposals
40th on Average Score involvements (3rd at tigers behind Baker/Houli
102nd on Ave Score Launches (last of most of the tigers defenders)

Damning stats. Opposition want him getting the ball.

Obviously it also comes down to what is happening up the ground but opposition coaches would not be too worried with him getting the ball. Plenty have noted how often he apperas to be calling for the ball when out of position, these stats appear to confirm that.

Of that same group over his career Short ranks 29th for Ave score involv and 41 for score launches.

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Just one win, but a damn good one.

Starting to look like ourselves now that we have a good spread of dangerous talls.

Chol has officially redeemed himself. Not so much with that last goal, but that mark on the flank. It had intent.

And what about Lambert? So *smile* important.

With all the injuries we could easily get hammered by the Cats next week.

But... what if, PRE?

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Most importantly I think the team believes after that win. The young guys all offered something. Let’s hope they can build on that for the rest of the season.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Anyone else doing ladder predictors today?

I have us beating Brisbane in the GF :)

We may have to play PA or Sydney in a EF. Fine with that.

Also, there is a strong chance we put either Melbourne or Footscray out in a SF.

Delicious.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Some real shaky sides around & above us, great win last night, the type u can start your build from & the Premiers usual start that process around now. I can actually see the side who finishes 4th going out in str8 sets, none of them are all that convincing.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Whatever happens from here happens. The footballing Gods are talking.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Whatever happens from here happens. The footballing Gods are talking.
I will pray to the Almighty Red and Yellow Sherrins that they intercede on our behalf and deliver us a three-peat. So Mote It Be!!!