2021 PRE Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 PRE Phantom Draft

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Thats why when everybody kept saying no it confused the buggery out of me as pure numbers it was 7 out and 6 in and we should have a rookie spot ? Unless its the Parker thing
With only 5 spots then I would probably have played it -

9. Gibcus
17. Johnson
28. Sonsie
29. Howes
30. Clarke

That's not radically different to Clarke's picks, we're almost on the same page, I guess it comes down to Johnson vs Brown & Howes vs Banks. Just to be clear to everyone reading, Brown & Banks are Tigers now & I will be embracing them & supporting them just like any Tiger. But every year the differences in my strategy & that of Clarke's will be put in the spotlight, that's how I learn & get better. I'm not the oracle either & I don't want to come across as that but much like picking a ruck at 20 (CCJ) if I see a potential fault line then I won't be holding back. Hindsight has vindicated my stance on rucks in the top 20, I think I share the same reluctance with flankers in the top 20, these decisions rarely pay off. In my experience a flanker needs to be uber elite to qualify for such high standing, even with the game opening up I don't think it warrants a complete overhaul of ranking principles.

I think in totality that group of 5 players still represents a potential royal flush, you could potentially get 5 core players & three A graders, I think value has been maximised at each pick & I think including a strong overhead marking wingman would have been a good move. Clarke is kind of a boom/bust selection given his defensive side & contested game needs some work but he's also underage so I think you can factor in significant upside. There is some potential to hit the midfield and when I stack his credentials alongside Rachele I can see we're still in the frame to unearth a comparable player. That's in essence how I would go about formulating my rankings and deriving value at each pick.

Reactions: 6 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Has there ever historically been a royal flush of draft picks at any club? If so surely it hasn't happened on many occasions

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Has there ever historically been a royal flush of draft picks at any club? If so surely it hasn't happened on many occasions

We came very close in 2004.

Deledio was good, Tambling hung on like a skiddy on the toilet bowl, and the others went straight through to the sewer.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
We came very close in 2004.

Deledio was good, Tambling hung on like a skiddy on the toilet bowl, and the others went straight through to the sewer.
Hawthorn in 2004 had busts with picks
21 Thomas Murphy
26 Matt Little.
53 Simon Taylor but made up some ground with
Pick 2 Jarryd Roughead.
Pick 5 Buddy Franklin.
Pick 7 Jordon Lewis.

Port did very well in 2018 but had 2 late busts.
Pick 5 Connor Rozie.
Pick 12 Zak Butters.
Pick 18 Xavier Duursma

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
It's happened but you probably need a strong hand to start with, Hawks 2004 probably the best on record.

2. Roughead (283 games)
5. Franklin (318 games)
7. Lewis (319 games)
21. Tom Murphy (113 games)
R18. Clinton Young (137 games)

You could argue the last two aren't superb selections but in the rookie draft a 100 gamer is a hit. To also get nearly 1000 games from the top 3 picks and a couple of Coleman medalists unprecedented.

Going back further you have the Geelong haul in 1999.

8. Joel Corey (276 games)
31. Paul Chapman (280 games)
38. Cameron Ling (246 games)
47. Corey Enright (332 games)

Not quite the royal flush but as close as you will get with Spriggs playing 69 games (pick 15).

The Cats then followed that up in 2001 with an equally as impressive haul, some help with the F&S rules but impressive nevertheless.

8. Bartel (306 games)
17. James Kelly (313 games)
24. Steve Johnson (293 games)
40. Gary Ablett Jnr (357games)
R5, Andrew Carrazo (194 games) * picked up by Carlton after 2 seasons

Richmond's best haul from a 5 star perspective? Probably 2014 but it was some Frank brilliance in the rookie draft that set this one up, you can almost forgive him for taking Ellis when you look at what he achieved.

67. Dan Butler (86 games)
R11. Jayden Short (114 games)
R29. Jason Castagna (117 games)
R46. Kane Lambert (128 games)

Replace Corey Ellis with Weller and it's a royal flush, pick 2 could have been used on LDU who's on the verge of a breakout year IMO. Just looking back on that year I think I went something like this -

12. Lachie Weller
33. Connor Blakely
52. Dean Gore
67. Jaden McGrath
77. Reece McKenzie

Rookie Draft
11. Adam Saad
29. Nic Newman
46. Peter Bampton

Pretty similar result although I will add I picked up Lambert in the previous draft so I'm probably marginally ahead although I missed the need for speed in the forward line, so perhaps Frank was the visionary & I was the reactionary. The change in game plan should go down in history as the turning point for the RFC and the subsequent premiership run that we've all enjoyed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Hi Bullus

I dont know if you stay on this site post the draft. I will try and look back at your posts.

What did you think of Connor McDonald, picked at Pick 26 by the Hawks. He looked really good to me in yesterday's game - a genuine inside mid with speed too. Liked him a lot, as I just posted on the Opposition thread.

Hawks picked 3 pure mids.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Bullus

I dont know if you stay on this site post the draft. I will try and look back at your posts.

What did you think of Connor McDonald, picked at Pick 26 by the Hawks. He looked really good to me in yesterday's game - a genuine inside mid with speed too. Liked him a lot, as I just posted on the Opposition thread.

I know l liked him before the draft ,not that it matters now ,but l wouldn't of been unhappy if we had picked him with our second selection .

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Hi Bullus

I liked him, no frills player who was picked in that sweet spot for bargain midfielders, should be a 100 gamer I feel.

Here's my final rankings, most have done ok.

Final Top 50 (rankings)

1. Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Matthew Johnson
6. Josh Rachele
7. Josh Ward
8. Josh Gibcus
9. Ben Hobbs
10. Josh Goater

Resembling the Joshua Tree this group is a blend of upside and relatively solid floors, don't think there will be any outright busts amongst this group. Many will be surprised by how high Johnson is but that's just emblematic of how high is upside is in comparison to the others.

11. Tyler Sonsie
12. Mac Andrew
13. Neil Erasmus
14. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
15. Josh Sinn
16. Jye Amiss
17. Zac Taylor
18. Sam Butler
19. Blake Howes
20. Campbell Chesser

This group has A grade upside but might come with a lingering doubt or two. Many will be surprised by Erasmus being pegged so low but I wouldn't be risking him in the top ten given he's not quite an accomplished mid. There is enormous potential but with his kicking more B class I think there's some chance he lands in no mans world as a flanker without the kicking smarts of the best rebounders in the competition. I have Howes ranked higher than most but I've factored in plenty of upside and feel he could become an extremely damaging wingman/half forward. Very impressed with his overhead marking and work below the knees.

21. Jacob van Rooyen
22. Josh Fahey
23. Arlo Draper
24. Michito Owens
25. Connor McDonald
26. Darcy Wilmot
27. Tom Brown
28. Toby Conway
29. Mitch Knevitt
30. Cooper Murley

This group has some potential to become A grade but would require everything to go right, quite a few have inconsistent disposal which needs to be cleaned up at the highest level. Knevitt would be higher if not for his patchy disposal. Wilmot & Fahey project as flankers but very good ones so they deserve their top billing.

31. Ronald Fejo Jnr.
32. Judson Clarke
33. Rhett Bazzo
34. Brady Hough
35. Matt Roberts
36. Corey Warner
37. Joshua Browne
38. Jesse Motlop
39. Jack Williams
40. Sam Banks

Such a mix here, most need plenty of development time with the exception of Roberts who can be a little one paced. I read an article about Roberts having a similar impact to Dunstan. I think that says it all really, there's a number of guys like Dunstan & Brodie who could fill this void. Yet to be convinced that Roberts can eclipse the output of Constable & Hately, that is effectively why he ranks so low.

41. Angus Sheldrick
42. Charlie Dean
43. Leek Alleer
44. Bodhi Uwland
45. Alastair Lord
46. Kade Dittmar
47. Marcus Windhager
48. Hugh Jackson
49. Paul Curtis
50. Harvey Harrison

A bit of an odd ball collection, some with big upside like Alleer, some with a limited ceiling like Dean. Harrison is the athlete who may prove to be successful based on his athletic profile alone. Dittmar a solid pick if you're looking for a midfield addition.

51. Taj Woewodin
52. Ned Long
53. Angus Anderson
54. Charlie Molan
55. Kai Lohmann
56. Jake Soligo
57. Lachlan Rankin
58. Tom Lewis
59. Bailey Rogers
60. Noah Pegoraro

This is the state league region, I could also add Greg Clark & Blake Schlensog to the mix, Eric Benning also a bit stiff & I like Oscar Morrison as a young general defender. Anthony Caminiti is another who would be a decent KF prospect later in the draft.

Reactions: 6 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
I liked him, no frills player who was picked in that sweet spot for bargain midfielders, should be a 100 gamer I feel.

Here's my final rankings, most have done ok.

Final Top 50 (rankings)

1. Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Matthew Johnson
6. Josh Rachele
7. Josh Ward
8. Josh Gibcus
9. Ben Hobbs
10. Josh Goater

Resembling the Joshua Tree this group is a blend of upside and relatively solid floors, don't think there will be any outright busts amongst this group. Many will be surprised by how high Johnson is but that's just emblematic of how high is upside is in comparison to the others.

11. Tyler Sonsie
12. Mac Andrew
13. Neil Erasmus
14. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
15. Josh Sinn
16. Jye Amiss
17. Zac Taylor
18. Sam Butler
19. Blake Howes
20. Campbell Chesser

This group has A grade upside but might come with a lingering doubt or two. Many will be surprised by Erasmus being pegged so low but I wouldn't be risking him in the top ten given he's not quite an accomplished mid. There is enormous potential but with his kicking more B class I think there's some chance he lands in no mans world as a flanker without the kicking smarts of the best rebounders in the competition. I have Howes ranked higher than most but I've factored in plenty of upside and feel he could become an extremely damaging wingman/half forward. Very impressed with his overhead marking and work below the knees.

21. Jacob van Rooyen
22. Josh Fahey
23. Arlo Draper
24. Michito Owens
25. Connor McDonald
26. Darcy Wilmot
27. Tom Brown
28. Toby Conway
29. Mitch Knevitt
30. Cooper Murley

This group has some potential to become A grade but would require everything to go right, quite a few have inconsistent disposal which needs to be cleaned up at the highest level. Knevitt would be higher if not for his patchy disposal. Wilmot & Fahey project as flankers but very good ones so they deserve their top billing.

31. Ronald Fejo Jnr.
32. Judson Clarke
33. Rhett Bazzo
34. Brady Hough
35. Matt Roberts
36. Corey Warner
37. Joshua Browne
38. Jesse Motlop
39. Jack Williams
40. Sam Banks

Such a mix here, most need plenty of development time with the exception of Roberts who can be a little one paced. I read an article about Roberts having a similar impact to Dunstan. I think that says it all really, there's a number of guys like Dunstan & Brodie who could fill this void. Yet to be convinced that Roberts can eclipse the output of Constable & Hately, that is effectively why he ranks so low.

41. Angus Sheldrick
42. Charlie Dean
43. Leek Alleer
44. Bodhi Uwland
45. Alastair Lord
46. Kade Dittmar
47. Marcus Windhager
48. Hugh Jackson
49. Paul Curtis
50. Harvey Harrison

A bit of an odd ball collection, some with big upside like Alleer, some with a limited ceiling like Dean. Harrison is the athlete who may prove to be successful based on his athletic profile alone. Dittmar a solid pick if you're looking for a midfield addition.

51. Taj Woewodin
52. Ned Long
53. Angus Anderson
54. Charlie Molan
55. Kai Lohmann
56. Jake Soligo
57. Lachlan Rankin
58. Tom Lewis
59. Bailey Rogers
60. Noah Pegoraro

This is the state league region, I could also add Greg Clark & Blake Schlensog to the mix, Eric Benning also a bit stiff & I like Oscar Morrison as a young general defender. Anthony Caminiti is another who would be a decent KF prospect later in the draft.

Welcome back Bully, please stay with us over next few months..

Reactions: 8 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Good to see ya back Bully, hope they don't chew your arse too hard this year.
Nothing better than a good mix of people puttin up their thoughts, ideas n opinions. We just gotta get better at not stompin on posters over minor nit pickin differences of opinion.

Reactions: 5 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Thanks Bullus.
And welcome back mate.

Agree with all the other posters - I found your posts fantastic reading throughout the draft period. Thank you.

Reactions: 5 users