2021 VFL Comp | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 VFL Comp

eastlavy

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2008
bloody paywalled
Text:

Premier Cricket allrounder Brad Melville links with Richmond’s VFL team
Richmond’s VFL squad for 2021 includes a string of promising players from the ranks of country football.

Paul Amy
@paulamy375

February 16, 2021 - 10:00AM
Leader
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader.../b5c896cb64a6a3fea01662d58ff41a75#share-tools

Brad Melville’s sporting focus has switched.
For a few years it was on cricket, and it took him through elite state pathways and on to Victorian Premier level.
Now it’s on football, and he’s linked with Richmond for the expanded 2021 VFL competition.
The 22-year-old is taking a spell from wicket-taking and run-making after combining both sports 12 months ago, with some difficulty.
Melville was playing with the strong Melbourne Cricket Club while training with the VFL Tigers.
“It got a bit too much come February, March, and all the training was on the same night,’’ he said.
“It really didn’t work for me. There were games last season where I wasn’t needed with bat or ball so I sort of stayed in the First XI for a fair while and probably didn’t need to train too much to be honest, but I thought I’d have this season off and put everything into footy and see where that goes.

“I’m a little bit more passionate about footy now … probably hadn’t enjoyed my cricket as much in the past couple of seasons, whereas I’ve really enjoyed my footy and done everything I could to improve it.’’
From Wangaratta, Melville, a middle-order batsman and off-spinner, was a Victorian Under 15 selection and a state Under 17 and Under 19 representative after he chose to concentrate on cricket.
Playing for North East Knights, he cracked centuries in the Youth Premier League at Under 14 and then Under 16 level, marking him out as a going-places player.
Melbourne never misses a good prospect, and in his first full season with the Demons he made his First XI debut in 2016-17.
“When I was younger I had to make a decision about what I wanted to do, and cricket was my main ambition then,’’ he said.
Still, he was an accomplished footballer for Wangaratta Magpies, playing his first senior game when he was 16. No wonder the Murray Bushrangers made contact.
Melville figured in the club’s Ovens and Murray premiership under the coaching of Dean Stone in 2017, former Demon Michael Newton bagging eight goals in the victory over Albury.

He came to appreciate the flag more when grand final losses followed in 2018 and ‘19.

Kicking 31 goals in 2019, Melville came to the notice of VFL clubs.

“I had a bit of interest, mainly from Werribee to start with, then Richmond and the Northern Blues,’’ he said.

“I’m living in Caulfield so I made the decision to go to Richmond. It’s probably the team closest to me.’’

It didn’t hurt Richmond that he’s a Tigers supporter.

Melville was on the list for the 2020 season that never heard a siren.

Since then the Tigers have been forced to pull back on their VFL program due to costs.

Their list will smaller than in 2019 – but topped up by players from the Murray Bushrangers and Oakleigh Chargers – and training will be held once a week.

Some of their more experienced players have moved on, including Jacob Ballard, Hugh Beasley and Daniel Coffield, but 2019 premiership captain Steve Morris has returned.

Melville said he was out to play “as many games as possible’’ in the VFL.

“My expectations aren’t too high,’’ he said.

“It’s only my second pre-season so I haven’t been in the system too long … I’m looking to play at Richmond as much as I can and if not play as good as footy as I can for ‘Wang’.

“Being with an AFL club it’s hard to predict how many games you’ll play or where you see yourself for Round 1, but I’ll do everything I can and do everything right.’’

Melville will retain the Magpies as his home club – they have recruited former Collingwood tall Ben Reid and Abraham Ankers from the NT and brought back Stone as coach following the departure of Luke Morgan – and will train with other Melbourne-based players at Collegians.

There will be a country flavour to the VFL Tigers this year; Leongatha’s Cam Olden and Seymour pair Dylan Cook and Sam Durham have also joined the club, and Nathan Oakes, originally from Nathalia, and Angus Hicks, from Shepparton, have returned to Punt Rd.

In his first year of senior football in 2019, Olden played in Leongatha’s grand final team.

Gatha coach Paul Carbis, a former Casey VFL assistant, believes the onballer is a player to watch.

Reactions: 1 user

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Text:

Premier Cricket allrounder Brad Melville links with Richmond’s VFL team
Richmond’s VFL squad for 2021 includes a string of promising players from the ranks of country football.

Paul Amy
@paulamy375

February 16, 2021 - 10:00AM
Leader
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader.../b5c896cb64a6a3fea01662d58ff41a75#share-tools

Brad Melville’s sporting focus has switched.
For a few years it was on cricket, and it took him through elite state pathways and on to Victorian Premier level.
Now it’s on football, and he’s linked with Richmond for the expanded 2021 VFL competition.
The 22-year-old is taking a spell from wicket-taking and run-making after combining both sports 12 months ago, with some difficulty.
Melville was playing with the strong Melbourne Cricket Club while training with the VFL Tigers.
“It got a bit too much come February, March, and all the training was on the same night,’’ he said.
“It really didn’t work for me. There were games last season where I wasn’t needed with bat or ball so I sort of stayed in the First XI for a fair while and probably didn’t need to train too much to be honest, but I thought I’d have this season off and put everything into footy and see where that goes.

“I’m a little bit more passionate about footy now … probably hadn’t enjoyed my cricket as much in the past couple of seasons, whereas I’ve really enjoyed my footy and done everything I could to improve it.’’
From Wangaratta, Melville, a middle-order batsman and off-spinner, was a Victorian Under 15 selection and a state Under 17 and Under 19 representative after he chose to concentrate on cricket.
Playing for North East Knights, he cracked centuries in the Youth Premier League at Under 14 and then Under 16 level, marking him out as a going-places player.
Melbourne never misses a good prospect, and in his first full season with the Demons he made his First XI debut in 2016-17.
“When I was younger I had to make a decision about what I wanted to do, and cricket was my main ambition then,’’ he said.
Still, he was an accomplished footballer for Wangaratta Magpies, playing his first senior game when he was 16. No wonder the Murray Bushrangers made contact.
Melville figured in the club’s Ovens and Murray premiership under the coaching of Dean Stone in 2017, former Demon Michael Newton bagging eight goals in the victory over Albury.

He came to appreciate the flag more when grand final losses followed in 2018 and ‘19.

Kicking 31 goals in 2019, Melville came to the notice of VFL clubs.

“I had a bit of interest, mainly from Werribee to start with, then Richmond and the Northern Blues,’’ he said.

“I’m living in Caulfield so I made the decision to go to Richmond. It’s probably the team closest to me.’’

It didn’t hurt Richmond that he’s a Tigers supporter.

Melville was on the list for the 2020 season that never heard a siren.

Since then the Tigers have been forced to pull back on their VFL program due to costs.

Their list will smaller than in 2019 – but topped up by players from the Murray Bushrangers and Oakleigh Chargers – and training will be held once a week.

Some of their more experienced players have moved on, including Jacob Ballard, Hugh Beasley and Daniel Coffield, but 2019 premiership captain Steve Morris has returned.

Melville said he was out to play “as many games as possible’’ in the VFL.

“My expectations aren’t too high,’’ he said.

“It’s only my second pre-season so I haven’t been in the system too long … I’m looking to play at Richmond as much as I can and if not play as good as footy as I can for ‘Wang’.

“Being with an AFL club it’s hard to predict how many games you’ll play or where you see yourself for Round 1, but I’ll do everything I can and do everything right.’’

Melville will retain the Magpies as his home club – they have recruited former Collingwood tall Ben Reid and Abraham Ankers from the NT and brought back Stone as coach following the departure of Luke Morgan – and will train with other Melbourne-based players at Collegians.

There will be a country flavour to the VFL Tigers this year; Leongatha’s Cam Olden and Seymour pair Dylan Cook and Sam Durham have also joined the club, and Nathan Oakes, originally from Nathalia, and Angus Hicks, from Shepparton, have returned to Punt Rd.

In his first year of senior football in 2019, Olden played in Leongatha’s grand final team.

Gatha coach Paul Carbis, a former Casey VFL assistant, believes the onballer is a player to watch.
Appreciate that, thanks.

Angus Hicks is the kid who broke his leg right in front of me in a VFL practice game down at Beaconsfield in 2019

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Interesting VFL list build this year mainly due to Covid

In all our previous years as stand alone we have had a VFL list of 24 + in most years we have also had a VFL development list comprising a further 5 or 6 players.

For 2021 I cant find only 7 players confirmed,

Morro back as skipper +
Brad MelvilleWangaratta Magpies
Cam OldenLeongatha Parrots
Nathan OakesNathalia on list 2020, no games Covid
Angus Hickson VFL list 2019, broke leg in practice game
Dylan CookSeymour
Sam DurhamSeymour

VFL regulars such as Coffield, Beasley, Ballard, Thompson, Lambert, Grewar, Mannagh, Silvestro, Nelson have all moved on either last year or this.

Don't think we will be winning the Premiership BUT its gonna be grouse watching the likes of MRJ, Hugo, Funky , Samson, Mansell, Cumberland, Martyn, Biggy etc ply their trade in their positions without big bodies protecting them.

Cant *smile* wait

Oh & get some dollars on Coburg, they will be thereabouts this year after years of misery

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

In all our previous years as stand alone we have had a VFL list of 24 + in most years we have also had a VFL development list comprising a further 5 or 6 players.

Morro back as skipper +
Dylan CookSeymour
Sam DurhamSeymour

VFL regulars such as Coffield, Beasley, Ballard, Thompson, Lambert, Grewar, Mannagh, Silvestro, Nelson have all moved on either last year or this.

Don't think we will be winning the Premiership BUT its gonna be grouse watching the likes of MRJ, Hugo, Funky , Samson, Mansell, Cumberland, Martyn, Biggy etc ply their trade in their positions without big bodies protecting them.

Cant *smile* wait

Oh & get some dollars on Coburg, they will be thereabouts this year after years of misery
Cheers taz

I googled them, Sam Durham might have a bit of scope. Biggie and Gallucci get a mention in the state combine results.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Any danger we can get some blokes with Height.

We have migh on nil real tall depth on our own list as it is and seemigly none from the VFL list either.

tigers1980

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 24, 2012

Morro back as skipper +
Dylan CookSeymour
Sam DurhamSeymour

Cant *smile* wait

Nathan Oakes not a bad player. Tough quick midfielder with nice skills. He was playing off-season up in NT. I believe he was previously playing Premier Division for Noble Park in EFNL back in 2019 before COVID-19 struck.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
tigers played box hill hawks at punt road 28/03/2021 sunday lunchtime and won 88 to box hill 78,
dont have any details .

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
why hasn't the vfl season started yet? and what's with the 16 game season and 3 byes when there's 22 teams or so? with the vfl being wiped off last year and alot of the kids not getting any games you would think they would get the season started asap and get more games in. Geez, they still have to wait till Apr 16th.

Reactions: 1 users

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Richmond vs Collingwood at Punt Road 10:15am