2022 Brownlow Medal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Brownlow Medal

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Of the top 25 or so vote getters, only 3 are non-midfielders. I don’t have any idea how, but there has to be changes in the way the votes are given out. It’s getting ridiculous
MIdfielders win every major media award. No idea why the Brownlow gets targetted every year.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Apologies if someone's already posted this but how does a winning team get 0 votes:

Round 23
View attachment 16879

Just shows how rigged dumpire votes are.
Yeah Ridley Jnr pointed that out on the night. Ridiculous voting.

Almost as stupid as Robert Walls awarding all 6 votes to Freo players on the day we beat them by 13 goals at the MCG.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
MIdfielders win every major media award. No idea why the Brownlow gets targetted every year.
Exactly. They won the Coaches' award and the AFLPA award. I'm not sure about all the media awards but a fair bet every one of them was won by a midfielder.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Exactly. They won the Coaches' award and the AFLPA award. I'm not sure about all the media awards but a fair bet every one of them was won by a midfielder.
Even the AA team is stacked with midfielders. Wingers don’t exist

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Good point

I guess the brownlow gets targeted more because it stands out more maybe? I could name you most of the brownlow medalists of the past 30-40 years but would struggle to name who won x media award from 2 seasons ago

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I done a quick scan through the free kicks for players and noticed a number of them also done well in getting brownlow votes from umpires.
Anyone with more time could dig deeper but it just seems to be umpires just casting votes for their favourites.
Umpires are just fanboys now.
I was all for umpires voting for best on ground but now i've changed my opinion.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I done a quick scan through the free kicks for players and noticed a number of them also done well in getting brownlow votes from umpires.
Anyone with more time could dig deeper but it just seems to be umpires just casting votes for their favourites.
Umpires are just fanboys now.
I was all for umpires voting for best on ground but now i've changed my opinion.
Cripps 2.29 for, 1.67 against
Neale 1.76, 0.9
Miller 1.32, 1.18
Oliver 1.57, 1.17
Brawshaw 1.46, 1.29

I counted at least 25 midfielders with more frees per game than Miller. For the sake of maybe half a free per game it is unlikely imo that frees are a good indicator.

4 of the 5 however were top 4 in clearances and contested possessions. The outlier was Brayshaw who wasn't top 60 in either of those.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Not to mention that the best midfielders are the most influential players. You can have a team with a great forward line or great defence that performs poorly but you never find a good team with a poor midfield.

If you gave any of us the pick of players to bring to Richmond, there'd be 10 midfielders listed before anyone else I'd guess.