2022 draft booms and busts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 draft booms and busts

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Excellent
No chance of another 1st Rd dud like
Meyer
Pattison
Fiora
JON
Conca
Lennon
C Ellis
Higgins
RCD
Despite our success we are the kings of the 1st round busts

The lesson learnt here is we should never pick a 1st rounder from VIC M, SA or WA. ViC Country only. We’ve never had a dud 1st rounder from Vic C. Before anyone mentions Dow he is still on the list so doesn’t count
Now watch pick 11 become the next Carey.
Don't blame the recruiting team, they just tighten up with 1st rounders, they panic,they make poor choice's but they are at there best in 3rd or 4th rounds when they get in the rhythm..
We should always trade away 1st rounders every time we do it we have great seasons after

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Mate I went over it with a fine tooth comb on the draft thread months ago.
LOL. The only team who've picked worse than us in the 1st round is GWS under SOS. Even then he had some good uns - 2 of whom are training at Punt Rd today for the first time.

Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Sorry I left out T Vickery - he is easily forgotten!

Last edited:

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Now watch pick 11 become the next Carey.
Don't blame the recruiting team, they just tighten up with 1st rounders, they panic,they make poor choice's but they are at there best in 3rd or 4th rounds when they get in the rhythm..
We should always trade away 1st rounders every time we do it we have great seasons after

Bloody hell, you got your wish for the next 2 years at least. Can you now please shut up about it?

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
LOL. The only team who've picked worse than us in the 1st round is GWS under SOS. Even then he had some good uns - 2 of whom are training at Punt Rd today for the first time.
Mate, like I said, I went over this with a fine toothed comb looking at the facts. Bottom line, 'kings of the first round bust' is totally false, objectively. Looking at the facts, we're average at absolute worst, above average at best. To be honest my analysis only compared us to the long term average. I don't know what the bar for the highest performing side is. I would say No side, even the best in the business, would be that far above the long term average. (and also I doubt even the worst performing side would be that far below it).

Anyway thread is getting hijacked. Page 6 to 8 of the 2022 Draft Thread if you're interested. But on form, I doubt you are. LOL

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Bloody hell, you got your wish for the next 2 years at least. Can you now please shut up about it?
About time.
What took them soo long.
Trade 1st pick get Prestia, Taranto or Hopper
Use the Draft 1st rounder gets you Higgins Ellis or Lennon
Who's the Einstein that took 10 yrs to worked that out???
Screenshot_20221121-152921_Samsung Internet.jpg

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Busts

Will Ashcroft
Harry Sheezel
Darcy Jones

Booms

Rueben Ginbey
Ellijah Tsatas
Ed Allan

• Wow

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Mate, like I said, I went over this with a fine toothed comb looking at the facts. Bottom line, 'kings of the first round bust' is totally false, objectively. Looking at the facts, we're average at absolute worst, above average at best. To be honest my analysis only compared us to the long term average. I don't know what the bar for the highest performing side is. I would say No side, even the best in the business, would be that far above the long term average. (and also I doubt even the worst performing side would be that far below it).

Anyway thread is getting hijacked. Page 6 to 8 of the 2022 Draft Thread if you're interested. But on form, I doubt you are. LOL
Francis Jackson was above average, it's absolute revisionism to suggest he was incompetent, aside from 3 premierships, he grabbed Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Vlastuin & Dan Rioli. No premierships without that core. His most notable misfire (Vickery) ended up yielding Shai Bolton, another A grader. I get the feeling Zips is suffering from Griffens-Tourette's syndrome.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
You sure you got that the right way?
Yep. Took a harder line. Ashcroft struggle if they outlaw head ducking and shoulder shrugging. And Sheezel will definitely be a bust, underage pure half forwards hardly ever make it.

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Even Vickery was hardly a misfire, he's in the top 10% of players at Richmond for games and top 5% for goals.
Vickery was definitely a misfire.
Gifted way too many games in desperate hope he would one day justify his overreach draft pick.
Adjust for his Joe the Goose goals and the tally wouldn’t look as flash.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Gifted way too many games in desperate hope he would one day justify his overreach draft pick.
I disagree

Vickery enabled us to get the best player from the 2016 draft

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Francis Jackson was above average, it's absolute revisionism to suggest he was incompetent, aside from 3 premierships, he grabbed Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Vlastuin & Dan Rioli. No premierships without that core. His most notable misfire (Vickery) ended up yielding Shai Bolton, another A grader. I get the feeling Zips is suffering from Griffens-Tourette's syndrome.
Also Ellis, who played in 2 Premierships.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

I can't be bothered posting a long statistical rebuttal of that so I'm just going to say it's completely wrong and move on.