2022 draft booms and busts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 draft booms and busts

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
I can't be bothered posting a long statistical rebuttal of that so I'm just going to say it's completely wrong and move on.
No worries, agree to disagree.
Although statistics are but one of several ways to measure the success or otherwise of a draft pick, not the only way.
As a player, Clarko also didn’t seem to rate him - he paid him out after 1 year!
But as trade bait Vickery was an outstanding success, delivering Shai.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Interesting player was Vickery.

Kicked 36 goals as a forward ruck in only his third season and looked destined to become a star but for whatever reason, was not able to take the next step. Was a lovely set shot for goal, could take a big mark (when he wanted to) and had exceptional agility for a 200cm player. As good as he could be, he could also be absolutely horrible too and as his career went on the bad games started vastly outnumbering the good ones.

Personally, I won’t fault our drafting of him at pick 8 in 2008. Certainly had all the tools to become elite and for a short while even appeared to have the attitude needed to. Alas, seemed to lose interest in the game and we were wise enough to offload him while we could still get something for him and ultimately we came out ahead.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah what constitutes a bust is complicated. And even then as you say TF, a well planned draft pick that is universally praised at the time can be a bust. A bust is not necessarily a system failure. As my dad likes to put it, (he borrowed it). The operation was a success but the patient died.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I reckon having a rubbish reserves side seems to co-align with some of the above mentioned comments 'he got games given to him' - there was nobody better in the reserves to pick and players just cruise if they know they're playing every week.

That rubbish move off being 'Coburg' for a few years stuffed us up until 2015 and it pretty much is aligned with our improvement a couple of years later.

Isn't it "iron sharpens iron" the saying. In 2014 & 2015 the Reserves won 4-5 games, then 2016 went to 9 wins, 11 in 2017, 14 in 2018, 15 in 2019.

No one to put pressure on players isn't a good thing, the guys in the reserves start thinking I'm a chance here to play in finals in the seniors, maybe win a flag with a bit of luck - Townsend and Graham perfect examples the back-end of 2017.

The way our Premierships in the VFL/AFL, Reserves and 3rds teams shows good programs/projects/systems/training facilities/coaching seem to co-align in our great club's history. Below doesn't take in the finals campaigns before and around the premiership successes or I'd be writing a way too massive thread here, but we all know the reserves played finals from 2017-2019 and that's a good enough example for me :eyes

VFL/AFL - 1932, 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1980, 2017, 2019, 2020
Res/VFL - 1929, 1966, 1971, 1973, 1977, 2019.
Under 19's - 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1980

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Interesting player was Vickery.

Kicked 36 goals as a forward ruck in only his third season and looked destined to become a star but for whatever reason, was not able to take the next step. Was a lovely set shot for goal, could take a big mark (when he wanted to) and had exceptional agility for a 200cm player. As good as he could be, he could also be absolutely horrible too and as his career went on the bad games started vastly outnumbering the good ones.

Personally, I won’t fault our drafting of him at pick 8 in 2008. Certainly had all the tools to become elite and for a short while even appeared to have the attitude needed to. Alas, seemed to lose interest in the game and we were wise enough to offload him while we could still get something for him and ultimately we came out ahead.
I dont reckon it is a coincidence that TV never really re-captured his 2011 form after his did his shoulder in 2012.
He still showed flashes, but he would rarely raise his arms up for a mark when under physical pressure. and from a far i would guess his love of the game started to fade too, which in the end led to his early retirement.

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Yeah what constitutes a bust is complicated. And even then as you say TF, a well planned draft pick that is universally praised at the time can be a bust. A bust is not necessarily a system failure. As my dad likes to put it, (he borrowed it). The operation was a success but the patient died.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Booms- Kaleb Smith, Steely Green
Busts- Elijah Tsatas, Lewis Hayes, Alwyn Davey Jnr, Jayden Davey, Harry Sheezel, George Wardlaw, Brayden George, Cooper Harvey

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'll lay my cards on the table

Booms

Will Ashcroft
Harry Sheezel
Darcy Jones

Busts

Rueben Ginbey
Ellijah Tsatas
Ed Allan

Special Smokey

Jaiden Magor

Sheezel clearly a boom,

And Ginbey clearly not a bust (12 tackles on debut? Who does that?)

Reactions: 1 user