2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

eastlavy

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2008
So in Victoria elite juniors, for better or worse, don't play senior footy, full stop.

(A thought on this, if VFL doesn't matter in Vic, why did the single VFL game for Box Hill played by Sonzerelli generate so much press? It was as if it was this crazy novelty, but was emphasised as proving his ability)

(I can't work Pascu out, apparently played 2 games for Essendon VFL, I have no idea why)
May have something to do with the VFL match selection rules:
  • All clubs to field 23 players per match, comprising the following:
  • AFL aligned teams: A minimum of seven under-22 players, including a 23rd man who must be an active 18-19yo player from the club’s development list, an aligned NAB League club or Northern Academy. Under-18 players must be approved by the AFL and a player cannot be named 23rd man more than four times in a season without approval.
So the NAB League players can only be selected as 23rd man in VFL for their aligned club a maximum of four times without approval.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
May have something to do with the VFL match selection rules:
  • All clubs to field 23 players per match, comprising the following:
  • AFL aligned teams: A minimum of seven under-22 players, including a 23rd man who must be an active 18-19yo player from the club’s development list, an aligned NAB League club or Northern Academy. Under-18 players must be approved by the AFL and a player cannot be named 23rd man more than four times in a season without approval.
So the NAB League players can only be selected as 23rd man in VFL for their aligned club a maximum of four times without approval.

I dont get the 23rd man concept?

Im pretty sure theres no sub rule and they have a bench of 5 and the 23rd man is the same as the 22nd?

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I dont get the 23rd man concept?

Im pretty sure theres no sub rule and they have a bench of 5 and the 23rd man is the same as the 22nd?
I think, and don't quote me, it's an AFL idea so as to allow non-listed players to get games and be trialled
It's under the file of AFL supported development, sitting next to multicultural academies if you're dads Spanish but you've played footy all your life in Beaumaris

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Judge Smailes

The world needs ditch diggers too!
Dec 17, 2003
Adelaide

According to a poster on BF we have spoken to this kid on multiple occasions.
Archie played for my baseball club (Glenelg) as well as the Glenelg footy club. Great kid, needs to fill out but I reckon he would be a great late pick. Got some ticker.

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Archie played for my baseball club (Glenelg) as well as the Glenelg footy club. Great kid, needs to fill out but I reckon he would be a great late pick. Got some ticker.
Which is understandable he was a mid december baby and wont turn 18 until just before Xmas as was Shai Bolton when drafted

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

According to a poster on BF we have spoken to this kid on multiple occasions.

Looked into this kid, as part of my eternal search for more liam bakers.

It seems what he has in ticker, he lacks in athleticism.

Other than a respectable 6.33 2km,

Tested 'average' in every category.

Certainly a footballer, and i like him, but i suspect doesnt have the athletic traits to overcome the 178cm

Of the sub 180's, i think Drury is the standout at the moment, followed by Darcy Jones and Jed Hagan

But yeah, none likely to be there at our pick

Last edited:

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I reckon in general, the kids coming through has declined covid, maybe a reason yes and no , but the drafts are not deep like before this year, lucky 50 kids will be drafted talent will always be there just not so deep.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I reckon in general, the kids coming through has declined covid, maybe a reason yes and no , but the drafts are not deep like before this year, lucky 50 kids will be drafted talent will always be there just not so deep.

Theres the same amount of talent D30,

Covid didnt affect football ability,

It just obscured it

I agree the top 50s being put forward are bland and unexciting - like getting socks for xmas.

I really hope it isnt our game homogenising, with a predominately elite private school intake.

A question to Vic watchers: whats the standard of APS footy compared to say NAB, WA/SA colts, u18 champs

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

It just obscured it

I agree the top 50s being put forward are bland and unexciting - like getting socks for xmas.

I really hope it isnt our game homogenising, with a predominately elite private school intake.

A question to Vic watchers: whats the standard of APS footy compared to say NAB, WA/SA colts, u18 champs
A fair way off it imo. Sometimes you’ll get the odd good game between schools with big football programs, or good match ups between certain players, but otherwise the depth in the school teams taps out pretty early with a lot of them. Caulfield Grammar, St Kevin’s, Haileybury, Xavier and BG are pretty reasonable teams most years but after that…meh.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Apologies, I haven't spent much time in this thread or looked too much at the juniors. Especially since trade week.

We seem to be linked to Lemmey and Scully. Lemmey likely gone by our pick and Scully possibly available. I've seen some commentary from earlier in the year where Lemmey was talked about in top 10 discussions and Scully also talked about as a watch this space.

What has caused both of them to drop off in interest? Is Lemmey a safer bet than Scully? What are their respecting strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Apologies, I haven't spent much time in this thread or looked too much at the juniors. Especially since trade week.

We seem to be linked to Lemmey and Scully. Lemmey likely gone by our pick and Scully possibly available. I've seen some commentary from earlier in the year where Lemmey was talked about in top 10 discussions and Scully also talked about as a watch this space.

What has caused both of them to drop off in interest? Is Lemmey a safer bet than Scully? What are their respecting strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks
We're only linked to them on here AFAIK. Could be wrong.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015

It just obscured it

I reckon the style of footy has changed ,in the Nab cup a lot of the matches are chaos style footy,depending on the weather .
I thought most Champs matches this year where the same.

As for school football,l always wondered why metro school player's don't play nab cup while school footy season is on ,were as country schools like ST Pats and Clarendon etc let their boys play both ,and ST Pats is probably the best school team in Victoria,and has been for a long time.

School football is a level below the nab cup,and l think with less SANFL/WAFL boys playing senior football,you would think the colts level should be improving .

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Been overseas the last three weeks ( hence crazy hours posting) and watched a fair bit of under age footy on the ipad.

I want to put Aaron Cadman out there as a key forward, reminds me a bit of Charlie Curnow. Owns the forward line, real presence about him. Great hands, good lead and has craft. I’m super impressed.

Old mate Cal Twomey coming out with my comparison today. C'mon Tombstone. Stop stealing my stuff.

Interesting on the Road to the draft podcast mock draft, Matthew Jefferson was drafted outside the top 12.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
where do you rate MJ scoop? I like him, but a bit ambivalent on where he sits, top 12, fair enough, top 30, fair enough.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
where do you rate MJ scoop? I like him, but a bit ambivalent on where he sits, top 12, fair enough, top 30, fair enough.
He’s worth a top 12 pick. Jumps at the pill hard. He’s got tonnes of improvement. So raw. He could improve quickly at an elite environment. Tall & gangly key forwards are a rare commodity. Those that can take a pack mark and don’t know what there doing yet are the perfect types to take. He might fail but he’s worth the punt. If I needed a key forward I’d have no problem taking him after pick 6.

Reactions: 2 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
As for school football,l always wondered why metro school player's don't play nab cup while school footy season is on ,were as country schools like ST Pats and Clarendon etc let their boys play both ,and ST Pats is probably the best school team in Victoria,and has been for a long time.

School football is a level below the nab cup,and l think with less SANFL/WAFL boys playing senior football,you would think the colts level should be improving .
With the APS, AGS schools there is a MoU with AFL Vic that the kids will only do one program at a time. As they play on Saturdays is basically rules out NAB during the school season.
Don’t know for certain but pretty sure schools like St Pats follow the same deal. The main concern is running the boys into the ground with too much footy.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
A fair way off it imo. Sometimes you’ll get the odd good game between schools with big football programs, or good match ups between certain players, but otherwise the depth in the school teams taps out pretty early with a lot of them. Caulfield Grammar, St Kevin’s, Haileybury, Xavier and BG are pretty reasonable teams most years but after that…meh.
I concur. The school footy is played with a ton of passion which probably masks the limited top end talent running around. That said it is still a really good standard and judging by the amount of scouts at the APS games they agree.