2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Still take Hopper and Timmy and a chance and a flag. Mitchell isn't a runner, he got shafted from a bad side who prefer to have no midfield then him in it. Says a lot and you still need to pay him 400-500 even if the Hawks pay some of it.

Put the chips in the middle of the table, all in. You can't go halfway now and halfway for the future. We have a window, we are trying to maximize it.

Correct

We led in the last quarter in 21 of the 23 games this year and the sole reason we lost so many close ones was the weak midfield. And Martin was well below his best.

Taranto and Hopper fix the midfield problem. Hopefully Martin is back to full commitment. Then we are a huge chance in 2023 and even 2024

All this and we are still rebuilding on the run

Reactions: 1 users

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Correct

We led in the last quarter in 21 of the 23 games this year and the sole reason we lost so many close ones was the weak midfield. And Martin was well below his best.

Taranto and Hopper fix the midfield problem. Hopefully Martin is back to full commitment. Then we are a huge chance in 2023 and even 2024

All this and we are still rebuilding on the run
Just add - fix prestia’s hammy

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
This is interesting. In any other draft having two first-round picks is a chance to rebuild, supporter bases froth.

In this Draft, the Swans go "naw, we don't lIke our chances of getting one decent player out of these picks, get rid of them if we can".

And we traded 12,19. In what is looking more and more like a weak draft. The Swans, one of the smartest clubs getting around, just franked our trades.

Huge tick to the strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Show's why we were happy to trade out of this draft. It's a dud one after the top 7 or 8 players. Similar to 2004 which had 5 guns and then the likes of Pattison and Meyer as 1st round picks and Polo at 20! No thanks

We don't need another Ben Lennon, Corey Ellis, Meyer or Pattison type in the teens.

We need to get more picks for next year which is deep with 6 or 7 key position players looming in the top 15. We had a F2 lined up for Graham but sadly that didn't eventuate. We could have used our x2 2nd rounders to get back into the 1st round

Last edited:

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bully who would u take from jhye Clark or Reuben Ginbey
I would take Clark, Ginbey has the runs on the board at state level but has fallen a tad short against the senior bodies. Clark hasn't missed a beat against all opposition, seniors included. What he lacks in explosiveness he makes up for by the sheer weight of possessions he amasses in all terrain, he's not pretty but he gets the job done.
This is interesting. In any other draft having two first-round picks is a chance to rebuild, supporter bases froth.

In this Draft, the Swans go "naw, we don't look our chances of getting one decent player out of these picks, get rid of them if we can".

And we traded 12,19. In what is looking more and more like a weak draft. The Swans, one of the smartest clubs getting around, just franked our trades.

Huge tick to the strategy.
That is an interesting development, I think it says more about next year's depth than it says about this year to be honest. Sydney also have to be wary about homesickness, there seems to be more players insisting they stay at home than in previous years. In any case, I think being in a position to pick two players from the Jefferson/Hewett/Cowan pool makes the picks an attractive proposition. Those would be my targets this year, the others don't excite me to any great degree & I would also be seriously thinking about trading if those particular guys weren't viable options.

But all things said and done I think Richmond have still done exceedingly well, add Lemmey & Binns to the pile and it's a very impressive haul, there won't be any complaints from me if this is how the cookie crumbles.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
I would take Clark, Ginbey has the runs on the board at state level but has fallen a tad short against the senior bodies. Clark hasn't missed a beat against all opposition, seniors included. What he lacks in explosiveness he makes up for by the sheer weight of possessions he amasses in all terrain, he's not pretty but he gets the job done.

That is an interesting development, I think it says more about next year's depth than it says about this year to be honest. Sydney also have to be wary about homesickness, there seems to be more players insisting they stay at home than in previous years. In any case, I think being in a position to pick two players from the Jefferson/Hewett/Cowan pool makes the picks an attractive proposition. Those would be my targets this year, the others don't excite me to any great degree & I would also be seriously thinking about trading if those particular guys weren't viable options.

But all things said and done I think Richmond have still done exceedingly well, add Lemmey & Binns to the pile and it's a very impressive haul, there won't be any complaints from me if this is how the cookie crumbles.
I can understand your interest in Jefferson and Hewett but Cowan intrigues me. Nothing wrong with Cowan as a player but Richmond already have Banks and Brown ready to go for exactly the same role. Getting another flanker with an early pick seems a strange strategy unless he has shown the ability to play another role.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I can understand your interest in Jefferson and Hewett but Cowan intrigues me. Nothing wrong with Cowan as a player but Richmond already have Banks and Brown ready to go for exactly the same role. Getting another flanker with an early pick seems a strange strategy unless he has shown the ability to play another role.

I agree. I respect bully is bullish on cowan, but hes a HBF who gets a third of his possessions from kick-outs. Dashing off easy st. is eye catching and hes a good size and tasmanian. I get it.

But imo, A bit like jaspa fletcher, he can play but is being acutely overrated, which isnt their fault.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Cowan has shown he can roll through the midfield, he's a genuine dual position talent in my eyes, his skill set is very reminiscent of Zach Williams, but that aside he's an elite player on many levels. There are few players with supreme kicking skills in this draft, Cowan is arguably the best of the lot. 80% kicking efficiency is elite, 8 intercepts a match is elite, his metres gained is also elite, winning a Morrish from defence also unheard of. Has it ever happened before? I'm scratching my head, no one comes to mind. The fact he also registered 5.4 score involvements a match tells you just how damaging he is streaming from defence. Then there's the leadership, I feel Cowan will become a captain or at least be a player in a leadership group. Without resorting to superlatives he's the best Tasmanian player I've seen for close to a decade. The last gun was Tobias but that seems like aeons ago.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Cowan has shown he can roll through the midfield, he's a genuine dual position talent in my eyes, his skill set is very reminiscent of Zach Williams, but that aside he's an elite player on many levels. There are few players with supreme kicking skills in this draft, Cowan is arguably the best of the lot. 80% kicking efficiency is elite, 8 intercepts a match is elite, his metres gained is also elite, winning a Morrish from defence also unheard of. Has it ever happened before? I'm scratching my head, no one comes to mind. The fact he also registered 5.4 score involvements a match tells you just how damaging he is streaming from defence. Then there's the leadership, I feel Cowan will become a captain or at least be a player in a leadership group. Without resorting to superlatives he's the best Tasmanian player I've seen for close to a decade. The last gun was Tobias but that seems like aeons ago.

To be clear, i think he has AFL attributes and deserves a chance to make it,

But hes a 3-4th rounder most years, not projected 2nd round

Again, its either 1. This pool is shallow 2. The recruiters are playing pin tail on donkey or 3. A bit of both.

I reckon its 3.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
As far as the rookie draft is concerned I think Marlin Corbett would be an astute pick-up, his kicking skill, particularly on the run impresses me, there's also enough evidence to suggest he'll be fine against the bigger bodies.

My GC sources tell me Corbett has started preseason with the senior squad and aquitting himself well. Finishing middle of pack in distance and sprints amongst 1-4 year players, and looks like he belongs.

Gps data from champs suggest he is upper echelon of workrate amongst his draft cohort

And yes, the elegance of his kicking and other AFL attributes can be lost on eyes that are tuned for bright lights

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
To be clear, i think he has AFL attributes and deserves a chance to make it,

But hes a 3-4th rounder most years, not projected 2nd round

Again, its either 1. This pool is shallow 2. The recruiters are playing pin tail on donkey or 3. A bit of both.

I reckon its 3.
This is where we we'll have to disagree, Cowan is a clear first round candidate, I feel he played with restraint during the interstate carnival but in the NAB league he played with much more freedom. I know some recruiters felt he didn't show enough daring in those matches but I also feel he was playing the team role as opposed to streaming down the ground. If given license to run he'll be a weapon, he has the speed, he has the kicking skill, he has the ability to read the play & he can run through the midfield when needed. Not sure what else a player can do to etch their name in neon lights, he made the team of the year both in NAB league & at state level, he won a Morrish & he captained his club. Not sure all that equates to third round material, I don't see too many weaknesses, I feel he's a two way runner who will only get better.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
This is where we we'll have to disagree, Cowan is a clear first round candidate, I feel he played with restraint during the interstate carnival but in the NAB league he played with much more freedom. I know some recruiters felt he didn't show enough daring in those matches but I also feel he was playing the team role as opposed to streaming down the ground. If given license to run he'll be a weapon, he has the speed, he has the kicking skill, he has the ability to read the play & he can run through the midfield when needed. Not sure what else a player can do to etch their name in neon lights, he made the team of the year both in NAB league & at state level, he won a Morrish & he captained his club. Not sure all that equates to third round material, I don't see too many weaknesses, I feel he's a two way runner who will only get better.

All fair enough and id say youre significAntly more likely to be right than me.

Cowan aside,

Unless they go pro rata, maintaining a ladder, allocating individual awards and team awards in the disparit NAB fixture.

Is quite bizarre.

Its like having a 400m race, and some run 100m.

* tassy and cowan played 12 NAB games - northern academys played 4 ( one academy played 5 i think, just to up the random ante). So for the Morrish to carry any weight at all, the winner from a southern state woukd have to poll 3 times as many votes as the best player from northern states

why, o , why wouldnt they ditch the northern academy series and play an east coast u18 comp? Or play north/south conferences on the same terms?

Last edited:

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Anyone know much about this kid Jovan Petric 196cm forward.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Anyone know much about this kid Jovan Petric 196cm forward.

Yeah he's quite athletic ,and quite a good mark,kicking is decent,but does go missing a bit.
Luke Williams who was a recruiter at the Tiges ,and now works for the Western Jets ,he was praising him up.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah he's quite athletic ,and quite a good mark,kicking is decent,but does go missing a bit.
Luke Williams who was a recruiter at the Tiges ,and now works for the Western Jets ,he was praising him up.
He looks like he should be something but…just sort of isn’t ? Dunno. Goes missing for long periods of time to my eye.

Reactions: 2 users