2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
You think Clarke made him go there? Not that Will was offered a more senior role with greater pay and took it?
So, it's just a coincidence that we've lost: Austin, Taylor and now Thursfield in the last 3 years?

Add Shedda and Luke Williams also

The only constant in the team since Frank handed over the reins has been Clarke. Before that no one left.

We've got a couple of retired guys that need bino's to see what's going on 50m away, Sam Lonegran and our AFLW recruiter. For one of the top clubs our recruiting team is a real worry.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
So, it's just a coincidence that we've lost: Austin, Taylor and now Thursfield in the last 3 years?

The only constant in the team since Frank handed over the reins has been Clarke
How would I know?

Luke Williams is the bloke who quit Carlton after they picked Cripps ahead of McCarthy.

Anyway, what do you think of our draft haul?

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Thursfield gone to #lolnorf as their recruiting manager. He must have been getting too much attention for Clarke's liking

Do u remember the game we thought he was Francis Bourke and he kept Riewoldt quite

And then we never saw him again..

What a backline Thursfield Kellaway & Bullus.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
How would I know?

Luke Williams is the bloke who quit Carlton after they picked Cripps ahead of McCarthy.

Anyway, what do you think of our draft haul?

Williams probably quit Richmond when we picked Higgins over Oscar Allen and CCJ over Sam Taylor also?

In terms of this year Smith looks good. The next two look like vanilla midgets. What appears to be an obsession with replacing Lambert and finding the next Baker could come back to bite them.

Given it was the back end of a weak draft though not alot of other options. I would have taken Sybkowski, Long or Fraser Elliott from our VFL team instead of Green and Campbell but what would I know?

Last edited:

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

The only constant in the team since Frank handed over the reins has been Clarke. Before that no one left.

We've got a couple of retired guys that need bino's to see what's going on 50m away, Sam Lonegran and our AFLW recruiter. For one of the top clubs our recruiting team is a real worry.
We do seem to rely a lot on the opinions of Cousins in WA and Webberly in Tasmania.
We obviously chase certain characteristics like competitiveness and running ability and won’t deviate.
One thing for sure is, that after around pick 14, the rest appear a lottery. Will come down to each club’s development program to maximise returns.
I’ll go on record and say the only player that inspired me is Phillipou. Would love him in yellow and black

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I’ll go on record and say the only player that inspired me is Phillipou. Would love him in yellow and black

I really do hope he becomes a messiah for the Saints.

he certainly seems to have the complexion for it?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We do seem to rely a lot on the opinions of Cousins in WA and Webberly in Tasmania.
We obviously chase certain characteristics like competitiveness and running ability and won’t deviate.
One thing for sure is, that after around pick 14, the rest appear a lottery. Will come down to each club’s development program to maximise returns.
Webberly my gave us Fraser Turner as well didn’t he ? Hmmmm.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Williams probably quit Richmond when we picked Higgins over Oscar Allen and CCJ over Sam Taylor also?

In terms of this year Smith looks good. The next two look like vanilla midgets. What appears to be an obsession with replacing Lambert and finding the next Baker could come back to bite them.

Given it was the back end of a weak draft though not alot of other options. I would have taken Sybkowski, Long or Fraser Elliott from our VFL team instead of Green and Campbell but what would I know?
I'm no Clarke fanboi and have been critical of a number of his selections, especially Higgins. But pretty sure he was on record as arguing for Cripps over Lennon. His haul last year indicates a clear and welcome change of priorities and I think this year is similar in terms of pace and footskills.

I like Elliott but I think he's a bit unathletic for the top league. Szybkowski also limited athletically - another Will Martyn?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Had a morning coffee with someone in the know. Got the mail on the Hawthorn dealings.

The Hawks wanted tall midfielders this year, they had McKenzie in their sights from a long way out. Think he can start on the wings and back flank, allow Will Day to go into the midfield until McKenzie is ready to do so. They think he has a lot of Nick Dal Santo to him. And the trade up with Weddle, they had inside word that he is an extremely high character kid and screams future club captain. But that's not why they traded up, Weddle has played his junior career as mid before a growth spurt. Sees himself as a mid-long term. They think he can be an impact fwd-mid who is physical. And Hustwaite was who they wanted to get when they traded back. "Couldn't believe he was still on the board", yes that old chestnut. They think he's another tall mid with composure. Basically, the Hawks thought after the trading they had midget onballers and needed size at the contest, players who could play that role in three -five years. Regardless of what we think (I think they overpaid for Weddle) they had a plan.

Reactions: 6 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Had a morning coffee with someone in the know. Got the mail on the Hawthorn dealings.

The Hawks wanted tall midfielders this year, they had McKenzie in their sights from a long way out. Think he can start on the wings and back flank, allow Will Day to go into the midfield until McKenzie is ready to do so. They think he has a lot of Nick Dal Santo to him. And the trade up with Weddle, they had inside word that he is an extremely high character kid and screams future club captain. But that's not why they traded up, Weddle has played his junior career as mid before a growth spurt. Sees himself as a mid-long term. They think he can be an impact fwd-mid who is physical. And Hustwaite was who they wanted to get when they traded back. "Couldn't believe he was still on the board", yes that old chestnut. They think he's another tall mid with composure. Basically, the Hawks thought after the trading they had midget onballers and needed size at the contest, players who could play that role in three -five years. Regardless of what we think (I think they overpaid for Weddle) they had a plan.
I think they overpaid for Weddle too but Hustwaite was a bargain. Should have taken the Pou over MacKenzie but he should be a good player.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think they overpaid for Weddle too but Hustwaite was a bargain. Should have taken the Pou over MacKenzie but he should be a good player.

I'd be up for establishing some quantifiables around a gentlemanly wager that Mckenzie has a better career than Phillipou

Id even take odds that Kaleb Smith (who?) out-shines your chap in the medium term

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'd be up for establishing some quantifiables around a gentlemanly wager that Mckenzie has a better career than Phillipou

Id even take odds that Kaleb Smith (who?) out-shines your chap in the medium term
The Pou is @Scoop 's chap. Cadman and Keeler are mine.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
The Pou is @Scoop 's chap. Cadman and Keeler are mine.
How deep is your love now you know Keeler was available at our third? Hewett, Cowan & Keeler were my selections with next year's first to come, I reckon you need to draw a line in the sand before you take out your adoption papers.

• Haha

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
How deep is your love now you know Keeler was available at our third? Hewett, Cowan & Keeler were my selections with next year's first to come, I reckon you need to draw a line in the sand before you take out your adoption papers.
I said when we kept Soldo that if Keeler were there at 31 I'd be conflicted.