2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
But a bloke who is turning 30, missed an entire year with a horrific leg injury and has never kicked more than 15 goals in a season is a better option on the same money?
Mitchell went for chump change, part of his salary paid for the first year, cheap as chips deal.

blofield

Tiger Cub
Jul 20, 2005

Corowa-Rutherglen coach Peter German believes Kaelan Bradtke has the attributes to play AFL​

Steve Tervet

By Steve Tervet
Updated April 21 2022 - 10:33pm, first published April 18 2022 - 8:00am

fb4f781dfd3bf448427d20f66dcae6ffc0a35612.jpg

Corowa-Rutherglen's Kaelan Bradtke has a kick against Albury. Picture: ASH SMITH
Kaelan Bradtke has what it takes to play in the AFL.
That's the view of his Corowa-Rutherglen coach Peter German, who rates the 20-year-old as one of the best athletes he's ever worked with.

Bradtke kicked three goals and had 19 disposals in Saturday's blockbuster against Albury and German has no doubt about his potential.

"From the moment I walked in the place, everyone was saying 'KB this, KB that, he's a great cricketer but he's got diabetes, he's this and he's that' but it didn't take me long to realise, and I've been coaching for a long time now, he's probably in the top five best athletes as a footballer I think I've coached," German said.
"He's probably been able to come through his junior career doing his own thing, doing it when he wants and how he wants so all of a sudden, he's got to play a team environment game, it's team first, it's structured and you've got to play your role.

"Last year, a lot of the players probably didn't understand that, because they haven't been in that type of environment before, but his maturity over the summer has been second to none.
"He's done a lot of weights and now he understands what he's capable of.
"He can kick a mile, he can take a good mark, he's quick, his off-the-mark speed is outstanding and I'd like to think that maybe, even it it means that we lose him, he's got all the attributes an AFL footballer needs.

"I think it's more his maturity that's really starting to make him become the player we've seen so far this year."
180b726b567dcb38ab61f05030cff990860752aa.jpg

Kaelan Bradtke. Picture: JAMES WILTSHIRE
Bradtke's ambitious but is loving life with the Roos.
"I'd love to go and play a higher standard of football and try to better myself but I'm just focused on playing consistent footy at Corowa and making it a good season here," Bradtke said.
"Whatever comes with that, whether it's playing a higher standard of football, that would be awesome.

"I'm just focused on trying to win for Corowa and playing my role.
"I played all my junior footy there and I've watched them every Saturday since I was 14 years old.
"The year Bryce Campbell took the side to finals (2014) was a feeling I've wanted to chase for as long as I can remember."

Bradtke and his team-mates had the majority of a 2500 crowd behind them on Saturday as the Roos came within a kick of beating Albury for the first time in 14 years.
"The atmosphere was electric out there," Bradtke said.
d4763ec5a202422d9c0481969dbc68f6db7eead8.jpg

Callum Spencer launches the ball forward against Albury. Picture: ASH SMITH
"There's just something about Easter Saturday at Corowa, it's special having so many people there and everyone getting around every little thing.
"It's good to feed off the energy of the crowd, to keep pushing for every contest.
"It makes you work harder; a bit of adrenaline kicks in when you hear the crowd roar and everyone gets around you.

"It was so close the whole way.
"We had a lot of fight in that last quarter and had plenty of chances but couldn't quite convert.
"We gave it everything and towards the end, after 'Marksy' (Jason Marks) kicked that goal, the momentum shifted in our favour.
"We had it down in the forward line a fair bit but it was just really well defended by Albury to not let us capitalise."
Bradtke was a prominent figure in Corowa Cricket Club's provincial campaign, taking 18 wickets and scoring 186 runs but he made a concerted effort to get to football training through the summer and is already feeling the benefits.
3cb90fc1c7afd2795e932be6a488b2cd05192624.jpg

Kaelan Bradtke also plays A-grade cricket for Corowa. Picture: MARK JESSER

"It's probably the first real pre-season I've ever done, continually showing up pre- and post-Christmas," Bradtke said.
"That's helped me a lot with my fitness and footy's easier when you're fit.
"With everything that 'Germo' has done and all the effort which went into the pre-season, it's a great place to be at the moment.
"Everyone at John Foord loves it there.
"The netballers have been really strong for the last few years and it's exciting to see the football now heading in that direction.
"Germo's record speaks for itself and I love playing under him.

"He knows how to explain things and makes football easier.
"For him to take us from where we were to where we are now is a credit to him, (president) Stu Lingham and everyone in the club.
"Germo's work is fantastic and I can't speak highly enough of him.
"He has helped everyone and all the younger guys at the club absolutely love everything he's got to say when it comes to his knowledge around footy.
"Playing 185 games (in the AFL) and then coaching at such a high level for as long as he did, it's good to have a person like that coach you."

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
To go back to the Mitchell discussion, how is he going to get 30+ cheap possessions each week when Daicos and Sidebottom are already competing for the same cheapies? Give me a hard working 2 way mid any day.

Reactions: 1 users

forward press

Tiger Cub
Apr 7, 2006
I think Tom Mitchell will provide significant ball winning ability in the short term, the proof will be in the pudding & Collingwood's eventual standing will tell a tale, for better or worse. Hewett catches Taranto/Hopper in year 3 but I also expect him to play senior footy next season, he's one player I'd have as a potential Rising Star.
Hewitt to catch a pick two and a pick 5 in year three of his career. Not unrealistic but on exposed form is a risky bet.

Timmy99

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 7, 2006
Canberra

Corowa-Rutherglen coach Peter German believes Kaelan Bradtke has the attributes to play AFL​

Steve Tervet

By Steve Tervet
Updated April 21 2022 - 10:33pm, first published April 18 2022 - 8:00am

fb4f781dfd3bf448427d20f66dcae6ffc0a35612.jpg

Corowa-Rutherglen's Kaelan Bradtke has a kick against Albury. Picture: ASH SMITH
Kaelan Bradtke has what it takes to play in the AFL.
That's the view of his Corowa-Rutherglen coach Peter German, who rates the 20-year-old as one of the best athletes he's ever worked with.

Bradtke kicked three goals and had 19 disposals in Saturday's blockbuster against Albury and German has no doubt about his potential.

"From the moment I walked in the place, everyone was saying 'KB this, KB that, he's a great cricketer but he's got diabetes, he's this and he's that' but it didn't take me long to realise, and I've been coaching for a long time now, he's probably in the top five best athletes as a footballer I think I've coached," German said.
"He's probably been able to come through his junior career doing his own thing, doing it when he wants and how he wants so all of a sudden, he's got to play a team environment game, it's team first, it's structured and you've got to play your role.

"Last year, a lot of the players probably didn't understand that, because they haven't been in that type of environment before, but his maturity over the summer has been second to none.
"He's done a lot of weights and now he understands what he's capable of.
"He can kick a mile, he can take a good mark, he's quick, his off-the-mark speed is outstanding and I'd like to think that maybe, even it it means that we lose him, he's got all the attributes an AFL footballer needs.

"I think it's more his maturity that's really starting to make him become the player we've seen so far this year."
180b726b567dcb38ab61f05030cff990860752aa.jpg

Kaelan Bradtke. Picture: JAMES WILTSHIRE
Bradtke's ambitious but is loving life with the Roos.
"I'd love to go and play a higher standard of football and try to better myself but I'm just focused on playing consistent footy at Corowa and making it a good season here," Bradtke said.
"Whatever comes with that, whether it's playing a higher standard of football, that would be awesome.

"I'm just focused on trying to win for Corowa and playing my role.
"I played all my junior footy there and I've watched them every Saturday since I was 14 years old.
"The year Bryce Campbell took the side to finals (2014) was a feeling I've wanted to chase for as long as I can remember."

Bradtke and his team-mates had the majority of a 2500 crowd behind them on Saturday as the Roos came within a kick of beating Albury for the first time in 14 years.
"The atmosphere was electric out there," Bradtke said.
d4763ec5a202422d9c0481969dbc68f6db7eead8.jpg

Callum Spencer launches the ball forward against Albury. Picture: ASH SMITH
"There's just something about Easter Saturday at Corowa, it's special having so many people there and everyone getting around every little thing.
"It's good to feed off the energy of the crowd, to keep pushing for every contest.
"It makes you work harder; a bit of adrenaline kicks in when you hear the crowd roar and everyone gets around you.

"It was so close the whole way.
"We had a lot of fight in that last quarter and had plenty of chances but couldn't quite convert.
"We gave it everything and towards the end, after 'Marksy' (Jason Marks) kicked that goal, the momentum shifted in our favour.
"We had it down in the forward line a fair bit but it was just really well defended by Albury to not let us capitalise."
Bradtke was a prominent figure in Corowa Cricket Club's provincial campaign, taking 18 wickets and scoring 186 runs but he made a concerted effort to get to football training through the summer and is already feeling the benefits.
3cb90fc1c7afd2795e932be6a488b2cd05192624.jpg

Kaelan Bradtke also plays A-grade cricket for Corowa. Picture: MARK JESSER

"It's probably the first real pre-season I've ever done, continually showing up pre- and post-Christmas," Bradtke said.
"That's helped me a lot with my fitness and footy's easier when you're fit.
"With everything that 'Germo' has done and all the effort which went into the pre-season, it's a great place to be at the moment.
"Everyone at John Foord loves it there.
"The netballers have been really strong for the last few years and it's exciting to see the football now heading in that direction.
"Germo's record speaks for itself and I love playing under him.

"He knows how to explain things and makes football easier.
"For him to take us from where we were to where we are now is a credit to him, (president) Stu Lingham and everyone in the club.
"Germo's work is fantastic and I can't speak highly enough of him.
"He has helped everyone and all the younger guys at the club absolutely love everything he's got to say when it comes to his knowledge around footy.
"Playing 185 games (in the AFL) and then coaching at such a high level for as long as he did, it's good to have a person like that coach you."
Looks a likely type. Great option to have a look at over the preseason.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
good wrap Bully, appreciate your sharing your insights with us.

Szybkowski must have dated McLachlans daughter for 1-2 hours or something?

projected top 3 in March, and didn't do much wrong in the meantime. AA

Pace is the only explanation, as it must be on most of these?

Something different went on this year, and I can't put a finger on it.

clearly Speed and Agility became extra-vogue,

but the draft somehow became unprecedentedly predictable; All the top 10 athletes from the combine (20m/agility/2km) got drafted.

without digging into the data, I don't think this normally happens? look at the top 10 athletes from combines past, and there's some unrecognisable names.

Further, I believe 2% of draftees in 2022 didnt attend a state or national combine. Thats a major confluence of recruiter opinion across the competition.

there simply were no smokeys picked.

what's the explanation? a constricting of the talent pathway? a loss of human capital (recruiters) from Covid? a seismic shift in the accepted science of what makes a footballer? some kind of post-covid fear of failure amongst recruiters? an increased risk aversion from clubs with reduced lists and caps?

If this is how drafts go now, the new normal, I'd be suggesting at the Richmond AGM that we save $1m or so a year from the soft cap, dispense with our recruiting department, and simply subscribe to Cal Twomey and Kevin Sheehans podcasts. Or better still, read this bullus hit-led thread for free.

but I only have questions, not answers.

I will watch the development of this draft class (and those who missed the intake) with particular interest,

a bit of a longitudinal study.

my hypothesis is this;

something has shifted in our game, and I think its quite sudden, and quite significant.
As I have been saying for some time the changed rules, untried and with one, the stand rule, introduced just a few days before the ‘21 season started, have had an enormous effect on our game.
Speed and disposal skills are now ahead of everything.

The French footballer Mbappe would have gone top 5.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
So if Mitchell bombs you move him on in the end of 23 how? You are stuck with the contract for 2 years. Not that easy.

Either way you've spent draft capital and cap space to get him. The odds of Hopper or Taranton bombing before Mitchell who is much older are very small.

Massive assumption. A pick 14, after three seasons, will equal the output of a pick 2 with 9 seasons. How you can bank that is beyond me Bully.

You are going each way. We are in win-now mode, we are looking 1-3 years ahead. The competition is aging, Geelong just won the flag with the oldest side in history. We aren't close to that. Your strategy is impacted by where you are on the premiership clock, and how close you are to winning it. Your strategy doesn't cater to that principle. Can't see how your strategy gets us to a flag in 2023.

Yep, tend to agree. We've been bold but not reckless.
Right, just to clarify my earlier statements, 2023 remians the big window for this strategy, beyond that things will naturally be in decline, all the chips are down for 2023, in 2024 & beyond the draftees will start earning their keep. Hewett & Cowan could be vying for top 10 in the B&F (that's how highly I rate them), Hewett has the talent to be the best mid in the draft, just needs to improve his two way running, that's the big question mark for my money. Then there's Keeler who's highlights package is probably in the top 5 in this draft, that could be one helluva steal but if not there's next year's first to come. Part of my reluctance with Hopper is his injury history, I'm also not a fan of 7 year deals unless it involves a key forward, that would be the exception to the rule. All these factors lead me to a cheap top up & rolling with 4 blue chip picks, even our third pick has landed in a sweet spot, I'm confident I'll get at least 2 decent footballers and perhaps more. I think Taranto is decent, at his best he should be top 5 B&F, I don't think he's so superior to Mitchell however, certainly not for all the extra cost (and I'm very aware of the age difference).

And just to be clear, I hope I'm wrong, that would be sweet, I just don't want the club to fall off the perch like Brisbane, Hawthorn & West Coast. The reasons have been varied but it can happen & it's more common than not. Hopefully we're more in the Geelong camp but that would be the exception to the rule.

Feb 25, 2007
I don't mind this, we would be looking at Narkle as a backup. It would be almost the identical role he had at Geelong. Would fill the spot we hoped Dow, RCD and Martyn would've have.

Agree, just on Dow he looks bigger, could he do a bit of a Jack Ross and announce himself?

forward press

Tiger Cub
Apr 7, 2006
Hewitt to be the equivalent of Hopper/Taranto in their prime.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes.
My money is on Hopper and Taranto.

Any success they deliver before this time is a bonus.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I think as a strategy it's a higher risk approach than using the draft, I think the execution was A grade, the two players targeted were obvious needs and should play an important part next season. I feel we've probably overplayed our hand slightly, 7 year deals for starters, multiplied by two, that might be an issue, it will be 2030 by the time those draw to a close. I think we probably needed one more trade to move into the low 40s, there were 5 key position forwards to choose from, we've backed up last year's 3 flankers with another couple, that tells me some of them will probably end up starved of opportunity & development time. I'm not really detecting any midfielders in flankers clothing either, I think there will be some busts amongst that group. Given we didn't stitch up a tall I'm giving the haul a B grade, part of that grading acknowledges that next year's draft won't be our saviour unless there's a slider in the second round, I don't think you can bank on that.

With all that in mind I'm thinking the best investment we can make is giving Gibcus a good run up forward, I think you could probably mix & match with Balta depending on the opposition, even if he doesn't come across as a purebred centre half forward. There were some glimpses last year, it's worth a shot and you may come up trumps as we've seen with Naughton. Samson still could make it but I think we need more key forwards on the production line.
I have a theory that the new "7 yr deal" craze is to cover off a raid from Tassie's open cheque book as Clubs will have a fair idea of when that will be happening & Clubs have learned from just over a decade ago. The media is asleep at the wheel on that one big time. For mine it seems we know we have a KPF coming via FA in a yr or 2 (when Lynch/Dusty's contracts end), we do have the option of live trading F1 next yr to get into the Draft on the night if there's a standout KPF to be had. Clarke/Hartley (i forget which) has previously floated that idea on the Clubs official podcast before this yrs draft.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I remember when we kept drafting smalls - George, Butler, Baker, Higgins and there were others and I kept getting frustrated that we weren’t all in for a KPP to support Jack.

Everyone on here kept saying one of our biggest needs was developing forwards of quality and I was in full agreement.

Well, since then I no longer get worked up about the tigers trading and drafting - cause I have absolutely no clue to what the club is up too.

Lynch and 3 flags later does that to you.

But, I still really enjoy the discussion these threads provide and it’s good we all have different views as I have given up reading with passion the media take on footy.
Everyone was questioning why we took Baker at the time too.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Looking at the choice of Taranto or Hopper or both, it's worth remembering that Prestia and Dusty will be gone or veterans by 2025.
Cotch will be gone.
Any short term replacement such as Mitchell would be gone.

Without both T and H, in 2025 our midfield batting roster is very short

With one its middle of the pack.
Any mids drafted this year and next aren't starting mids in 2025.

With both we have a solid pack
I agree here, how long does Mitchell have left in the game? if we got Mitchell who do we replace him with short term? Our 2 guys we got will be around much longer.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Wasn't sure where to put this article, so here it is.

Ex-Cat Quinton Narkle in line for a potential AFL chance.​

MITCH KEATING
EDITOR | DECEMBER 1, 2022 -

Delisted Geelong midfielder Quinton Narkle is reportedly set to secure a train and trial gig at Richmond across the course of the coming off-season.

Narkle was axed by the Cats just days after the club's premiership win over Sydney, with the Maddington product among five players cut by the Kardinia Park club.

The list call saw an end to the 24-year-old's time in Geelong, which spanned 41 games and five seasons.

Narkle's management has already revealed there has been some level of interest in the fringe midfielder since he departed Geelong, however Narkle was overlooked at this week's National and Rookie drafts after being among close to 900 nominees for the off-season intake.

According to The West Australian, Narkle is set to receive a training invite to join Richmond's AFL program for the coming months.

AFL clubs are able to invite players to join their pre-season plans ahead of and during the Supplemental Selection Period, which is set to run from January next through to March.

GettyImages-1233162594-scaled.jpg
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MAY 29: Quinton Narkle (L) (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

The Tigers flipped their midfield this year, with premiership stalwarts Kane Lambert and Shane Edwards announcing their retirement from the game, while the likes of Riley Collier-Dawkins and Will Martyn were not offered new deals.

Richmond acquired GWS pair Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper through the trade period in what was an aggressive double coup for the Tigers.

Narkle could add to the new-look midfield ensemble at Punt Road should he impress across the summer.
I like it, Bradtke fills a clear need, if he's not up to it Narkle is handy.

Stewlander

Tiger Cub
Jan 20, 2016
Right, just to clarify my earlier statements, 2023 remians the big window for this strategy, beyond that things will naturally be in decline, all the chips are down for 2023, in 2024 & beyond the draftees will start earning their keep. Hewett & Cowan could be vying for top 10 in the B&F (that's how highly I rate them), Hewett has the talent to be the best mid in the draft, just needs to improve his two way running, that's the big question mark for my money. Then there's Keeler who's highlights package is probably in the top 5 in this draft, that could be one helluva steal but if not there's next year's first to come. Part of my reluctance with Hopper is his injury history, I'm also not a fan of 7 year deals unless it involves a key forward, that would be the exception to the rule. All these factors lead me to a cheap top up & rolling with 4 blue chip picks, even our third pick has landed in a sweet spot, I'm confident I'll get at least 2 decent footballers and perhaps more. I think Taranto is decent, at his best he should be top 5 B&F, I don't think he's so superior to Mitchell however, certainly not for all the extra cost (and I'm very aware of the age difference).

And just to be clear, I hope I'm wrong, that would be sweet, I just don't want the club to fall off the perch like Brisbane, Hawthorn & West Coast. The reasons have been varied but it can happen & it's more common than not. Hopefully we're more in the Geelong camp but that would be the exception to the rule.
I’m not sure how you can say our strategy is purely about 2023 and after that we decline. We’ve brought in two very good players who are in their mid 20’s. Not 30’s, mid 20’s. Two very good players who help fix a major weakness for us. A major weakness that most likely cost us a potential GF spot. These boys are hitting their prime and will still give value in 5, 6 and possibly 7 years.
Your theory and want weakens us dramatically for next year compared to this strategy and still has a question mark on future years. Mitchell at 30 years of age is not the answer. His playing style in his prime doesn’t suit our brand let alone what he dishes out now. And the 3 kids you mentioned have question marks. Hewitt has talent but his work ethic is extremely questionable. Could make it, but could easily be a bust too. I know you love Cowan but in my opinion he’s a dime a dozen half back flanker. The recruiters clearly agree with me letting him slide. It’s also a position we don’t really need to spend up with draft picks. I honestly don’t think there’s a heap of difference between him and Kaleb Smith.
Lastly Keeler has the biggest question mark on him out of the 3. I think there’s a reason the Crows didn’t bother nominating him. His competitiveness and hardness is a huge question mark. Very laconic players don’t tend to make it in modern footy.
Anyway good by you for sticking to your guns with your thoughts, but I for one am super excited about our big acquisitions. The recruiting team have more then earned our trust and I honestly think the next few seasons could be very exciting!

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Also posters talking bout our T and H strategy as short term.
But it's long term too. By 2025 it's unlikely we have Cotch, Prestia or Dusty in the centre square.
Who s left but Graham, Shorty, Bakes, Ross. Shai.
Sonsie too but he,ll only be 21.
Top players but undermanned

It's unlikely a 2022 draftee is starting in the guts in 25.
So we have Hopper and Taranto for the years 2025 to 2030..
It's a long term strategy
(to go with the short term win flags strategy)

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Great discussion too, loving it!

credit to Bully, taking an unpopular position and sticking to his guns, kudos!

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
We all agree we need to draft /trade /find a kpf

On defenders - Balta, Gibcus, Miller, Biggie, Young, Tarrant.
Maybe some wont make it, though the club think so otherwise the rookies would be gone.
And obvs Tarrant has only one year left.

But I can't see the club getting 6 big body defenders on the list without planning to create a forward.
Who I don't know.