2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
If you redid the 2016 draft would you have Taranto at pick 2? Certainly not from my perspective. I'd have him at 7-8, about where I rate Hewett.

I think Taranto and the likes of Whitfield etc have been gradually held back by the stodgy, slow ball movement of Camerons later years as he turned to self preservation mode rather than giving his players the confidence to attack the game. The gradual downturn in form in GWS's stars was evident more and more each year from 2020 onwards as Cameron was of the opinion that his side needed to focus more on ball security and defence.

Prestia, while a good player at GC became a great player at the RFC due to a game plan which utilizes his running ability and skill set. I think you'll find the same with Hopper and especially Taranto.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
1. Hugh McCluggage
2. Shai Bolton
3. Tom Stewart
4. Tim English
5. Jy Simpkin
6. Sean Darcy
7. Tim Taranto
8. Jordan Ridley
9. Brennan Cox
10. Rohan Marshall

You could push a case for top 5 perhaps, that would be prioritising a midfielder over a tall, I'm looking at overall standing in the league, English & Darcy the two best junior rucks from 2016 onwards. I think looking at career trajectory McCluggage has another gear, Taranto not so much. that's just my gut feel at this stage. Part of this ranking acknowledges where these players fit in their respective team's hierarchy. Simpkin is a top 2 mid at North, he's trending up, 40 possession games starting to roll through, he edges Taranto in my opinion. Has Taranto ever been the headline act at GWS? Not really, he's always been behind Kelly, Ward, Coniglio & occasionally behind Treloar, Shiel and various others at certain stages.
Personally i dont see Jy Simpkin,Hugh McCluggage as a better player than Taranto
Tom Stewart - Yes Shai Bolton - Yes
Darcy & English are Ruckman and whilst looking like very good ruckman i wouldnt be taking either ahead of Taranto

Think you are under rating TT a fair bit here but thats ok we all have opinions and for me i would have him at 3rd best ahead of Simpkin and English

Reactions: 5 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
As I have been saying for some time the changed rules, untried and with one, the stand rule, introduced just a few days before the ‘21 season started, have had an enormous effect on our game.
Speed and disposal skills are now ahead of everything.

The French footballer Mbappe would have gone top 5.
Waste of pick 5. We could have got him as a cat b rookie

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
On Mitch Szybowski:

”For the Dandenong Stingrays, the AFL draft was as much a story of who didn’t get selected as who did. Jaxon Binns was taken at No.32 by Carlton. Henry Hustwaite was taken at No.37 by Hawthorn.

Mitch Szybkowski was taken by no one.

And that left Stingrays coach Nick Cox stunned. Cox was surprised when his captain’s name wasn’t called in the national draft, but he assumed he would at least be picked up as a rookie the following day. The 186cm midfielder was overlooked in that too.

An hour or so after the rookie draft, Cox spoke about the “brutal side of football”. In the days since, he has been in constant contact with Szybkowski and his family. He says the 18-year-old’s emotions range from “angry, disappointed, upset, all those things”.

The way Cox saw it, Szybkowski had done more than enough to be drafted.

He averaged 23.1 disposals in his seven games for the Stingrays, played well for the AFL Academy against Collingwood’s VFL team, was among Vic Country’s best players in the national championships, and was selected in the NAB League Boys team of the year.

Ahead of the draft, AFL talent oracle Kevin Sheehan called Szybkowski a “midfielder with a sharp competitive edge” who “attacks the ball aggressively and lays strong tackles on the opposition”.

“A good ball-winner with clean hands and great vision, he also creates for his team with smart ball use,” he noted.

“Was among Victoria Country’s most consistent players at the national championships, averaging 24 disposals and four tackles. Demonstrated his power at the draft combine with his running vertical jump of 83cm, which ranked eighth overall.”

Cox says he was dumbfounded a player who had been “highly touted all the way along” was passed over.

“Perplexing. He’s got great attributes – an inside mid with a big body, a good decision-maker, really good with his inside and outside work – and he was really consistent,” he says.

“I suppose if there was a question mark, it would have been with his speed. But his power and stuff around the stoppages is at a high level. I can’t work it out.

“He had a great season. His numbers were good. His impact was very good. He was one of Vic Country’s better players.

“Before the draft we thought we had three genuine chances. Two of them got through. I would have put my house on Mitch and that’s disappointing.
Cox adds: “What I will say is he will find a way eventually. Whether that happens in the next 12 months or longer, because of who he is as a person and as a footballer, he will find a way to get there. He will have to do it a different way than what we all thought.”

VFL and interstate clubs have been quick to contact Szybkowski, who won a bundle of league and club best and fairests as he came through Beaconsfield Football Netball Club.

He and Binns figured in Caulfield Grammar’s APS premiership this year, as did Blake Drury, who had no takers in the national draft but was the first player claimed in the rookie draft.

Cox hopes Szybkowski lands a train-on position with an AFL club and is considered for a listing in the pre-season supplemental selection period.
He says the AFL has support mechanisms in place for young players overlooked in the draft, and officials had contacted Szybkowski, who is managed by Mark Kleiman.

“There are a lot of tools he can use to work through it,” Cox says.

An AFL recruiter agrees Szybkowski was the “hard-luck story” of the draft.

“He wasn’t one for us – we’re OK for inside mids, and he’s one of those – but I thought someone, somewhere would pick him,” the recruiter says.”
I think we’d be crazy to rookie Narkle before this kid

I do understand the reluctance after slow mid failure c Ellis and RCD but this bloke may at least be very tradable in 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
So Hewitt is going to be better than a guy who won the best and fairest in a side that made the Grand Final.

I have Taranto ahead of Simpkin and I’m not convinced Hewitt can be as good as Simpkin.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

forward press

Tiger Cub
Apr 7, 2006
1. Hugh McCluggage
2. Shai Bolton
3. Tom Stewart
4. Tim English
5. Jy Simpkin
6. Sean Darcy
7. Tim Taranto
8. Jordan Ridley
9. Brennan Cox
10. Rohan Marshall

You could push a case for top 5 perhaps, that would be prioritising a midfielder over a tall, I'm looking at overall standing in the league, English & Darcy the two best junior rucks from 2016 onwards. I think looking at career trajectory McCluggage has another gear, Taranto not so much. that's just my gut feel at this stage. Part of this ranking acknowledges where these players fit in their respective team's hierarchy. Simpkin is a top 2 mid at North, he's trending up, 40 possession games starting to roll through, he edges Taranto in my opinion. Has Taranto ever been the headline act at GWS? Not really, he's always been behind Kelly, Ward, Coniglio & occasionally behind Treloar, Shiel and various others at certain stages.
How did these differ from your rankings at the time of the draft?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
So Hewitt is going to be better than a guy who won the best and fairest in a side that made the Grand Final.

I have Taranto ahead of Simpkin and I’m not convinced Hewitt can be as good as Simpkin.
Matt Crouch did the same, fair achievement but not the be all, end all.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Jeremy Cameron and Cameron Guthrie
Callum Mills
Marcus Bontempelli
Clayton Oliver
Jayden Short
Cameron Guthrie
Dion Prestia
Tim Taranto
Elliot Yeo
Brodie Grundy/Steel Sidebottom
Dustin Martin
Matt Crouch -AA x BF X Grand Final

Bully elite mids win BNF’s in grand final sides. Saying Hewitt can get to that level is pinning him as elite All Australian level.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Callum Mills
Marcus Bontempelli
Clayton Oliver
Jayden Short
Cameron Guthrie
Dion Prestia
Tim Taranto
Elliot Yeo
Dustin Martin

Bully elite mids win BNF’s in grand final sides. Saying Hewitt can get to that level is pinning him as elite All Australian level.
Reckon Taranto gets there again too

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

forward press

Tiger Cub
Apr 7, 2006
If someone rated SPS very highly at draft time then tells us that Hewitt is going to surpass a proven entity in Taranto after year three we should be a little skeptical. But then again, recruiting is a science only to a certain point. And I believe the professionals have more access to data than any of us ever will. And even then, there is still no guarantee.

Understand people are seduced by new and shiny things over proven quantities.

I suppose that’s what we are debating here.

All of us are hoping our club made the right call.

Loving the debate and counter argument against a group who delivered us three premierships.

Let’s see how it lands. We hit the draft hard over the last year and the 22 season identified issues with our contested midfield.

Personally, I’m more excited by Taranto, Hopper, Smith and Green over any other combo of pure draft picks in 22.

I know the latter 2 are flawed in areas but our team were keen on them, and they possess certain traits important to our side. Hopefully one makes it. Smith has speed and ability to take the game on while Green has tenacity and room for growth in a professional environment. Campbell has big upside in a professional environment as well, and comes from a long way back. Big opportunity for him if he takes it, but a very good rookie pick.

Great discussion, especially for those willing to put it out there with player rankings. Total respect.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
TT & for that matter Hopper were top 3 in the B&F in a side that made the GF, Simpkin is the 2nd best mid in the side that has won the last 2 wooden spoons. As above Prestia is a better player in our system than he was at GC. Think & hope we'll find that better Clubs make players better in the case of our 2 guys.

• Love

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Callum Mills
Marcus Bontempelli
Clayton Oliver
Jayden Short
Cameron Guthrie
Dion Prestia
Tim Taranto
Elliot Yeo
Dustin Martin

Timmy yet to get an AA nod, he's not there yet, needs more than a B&F & whilst that is mighty impressive for a second year player one season doesn't maketh the man.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
This is the exact situation I would want to avoid, paying part salary, selling at below market rates. The salary cap squeeze can lead to some pretty undesirable outcomes.
Trelol was on $900 a couple of years ago n Grundypants is currently on $ 1mill. That's a fair bit of difference in cost to either Tarantino or Grasshopper on $750 in four or five years time, inflation n such having some effect.
If we've somehow *smile* up while trying to transition our aging champs while still remaining firmly in the hunt for flags. With these two it'll be through some sort of injury issues not mega dollars for under performers that'll cause cap issues. Part payments if we needed to change these two out would be minimal and something that many clubs have quietly managed over the years.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I think we’d be crazy to rookie Narkle before this kid

I do understand the reluctance after slow mid failure c Ellis and RCD but this bloke may at least be very tradable in 3 or 4 years.
Ya forgot Dusty's Willy in that comment fastin. Three strong but slow n stodgy young mids all failing to make an impact would have you looking differently at the draft.

Reactions: 1 user

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
This is the exact situation I would want to avoid, paying part salary, selling at below market rates. The salary cap squeeze can lead to some pretty undesirable outcomes.
We seemed to manage it well with Dustys and Lynchs 7yr deals.So i can't see any problems with TT & Hopp.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Reckon that's a call that shouldn't be made for at least another five years.
I agree. I think it is very difficult to compare the merits of Clarke and Jackson. A lot needs to be factored in when looking at the picks they had and the strength of the respective drafts.