2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Who's the older gentleman in our 2022 draft team 'sitting at the head of the table'? :oops:

Anyone seen him before? Is that Matthew Clarke? :unsure:

Anyway, he shouldn't get off scot free for this year's recruits ;)

View attachment 17582

View attachment 17579
It's not surprising FJ was in the thick of it, this draft reminded me of 2016, decent selections and hard to be critical of the types being selected at those picks, Maybe I take Foster instead, not a biggie, if Green & Smith are locks I take Verrall in the PSD. The rookies were on point, high success rate with small forwards & state league recruits.

Reactions: 3 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
It's not surprising FJ was in the thick of it, this draft reminded me of 2016, decent selections and hard to be critical of the types being selected at those picks, Maybe I take Foster instead, not a biggie, if Green & Smith are locks I take Verrall in the PSD. The rookies were on point, high success rate with small forwards & state league recruits.
Yeah I know they still keep the older recruitment guys around like consultants. Judkins gets video's sent up Qld somewhere he lives regularly from the Bummers.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Smith looks a ripper.
Im normally up for a tall, but theyd be a low % play at that pick.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Smith looks a ripper.
Im normally up for a tall, but theyd be a low % play at that pick.
I'm fine with this pick, I think if he's clearly ranked ahead of Foster then it's a fair decision. Foster was my 4th ranked forward so no qualms with this approach, Green is another who passes some key criteria, most notably senior exposure and general skills. These two are solid picks but still one tall short, I personally would have used pick 70 or the PSD, I think Verall was the value pick we overlooked, very similar scenario to Lloyd Meek a few years ago.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I'm fine with this pick, I think if he's clearly ranked ahead of Foster then it's a fair decision. Foster was my 4th ranked forward so no qualms with this approach, Green is another who passes some key criteria, most notably senior exposure and general skills. These two are solid picks but still one tall short, I personally would have used pick 70 or the PSD, I think Verall was the value pick we overlooked, very similar scenario to Lloyd Meek a few years ago.
If we pick up Bradtke it fits that need.

No doubt we have a gaping hole at full forward.
Keeler or Lemmey wouldve been ideal. But between Balta Ryan Gibcus Miller Bauer Young there will be an answer

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Was impressed with Miller a forward vs the Hawks.
Just sayin

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
If we pick up Bradtke it fits that need.

No doubt we have a gaping hole at full forward.
Keeler or Lemmey wouldve been ideal. But between Balta Ryan Gibcus Miller Bauer Young there will be an answer
Bradtke is a long shot, as an 18 year old he would be far more suitable but he's 21 and has only shown a few glimpses at VFL level. I think I'd rather hand a 4 year apprenticeship to Verrall who may even prove handy up forward.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
And it's relative to the strength of the draft, Sydney being so willing and keen to trade out of two picks in the teens tells me so much about what those in club land actually perceived this draft to be. This was judged to be a weak draft.

I've bitched and moaned about our lack of mids for ten years, this is the first time I see us having a legit collection of A-grade mids. We've fixed the problem without selling the farm and risking the long-term future of the club.
We certainly didn't seem to fussed about trading out of the Draft also.

As for comparing Jackson with Clarke. It's far too early to tell as yet, it's not all that long ago ppl were calling for Jacksons head & our recent success has seen those calls disappear. It's almost impossible to judge Clarke on this yrs Draft given the picks at his disposal & with F1 gone next yr as well.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Agreed and Melbourne were prepared to give up their 2 picks in 2023 plus #14 which they drafted Jefferson with for a top 6 pick to hawks/Suns/bombers.

In regards to our midfield strength and depth , I also like you have alot of confidence now in our ability to win midfield and stoppage clearances and was sick of screaming at the game about how we so easily get smashed on the inside and how much pressure our defenders come under.

Hopper , Taranto , Prestia , Cotchin , Martin , Bolton , Graham , Pickett , Sonsie , Baker , Short - Thats 11 deep and flexibility to Rotate foward and add fire power and unpredictability .
Martin, Bolton, Baker & Short now get to spend more time in more outside roles & they'll become more damaging as a result.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
West Coast have deliberately cast a shadow over Hewett, wonderful smoke screening, nothing preventing him from becoming AA based on skill set. At the moment Taranto has a solid body of work but I think Hewett will match it, that's just my gut feel. Even if he's caught behind a fraction I think the addition of Cowan will off-set the shortfall.

I also think Keeler plus next year's first sets the bar pretty high for Hopper, if Keeler plays 150 games I would say we're behind already and that doesn't even account for next year's first. Big ask for a player coming back from knee surgery. If we cop a bad run with injuries next year and that pick becomes a top 10 selection then you can probably assume another gun mid or forward would have been in the frame. That's significant risk, especially given we are light on for forwards.

Maybe Blair is the fixer in this instance, we'll just have to see, those developments will be critical heading into the future.
I do get the feeling the Club has a fwd coming via FA in the coming yrs. '24 seems the popular time given Dusty/Lynch deals end & that'll free up massive $$$ to get something done. Either that or we just didn't rate any of the tall left at our picks. Could be a bit of both. FA is a "watch this space" over the next 2-3 yrs.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Is the Bradtke kid training with us any good that you know of? He seems raw as anything but at least we get a decent look at him over summer.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Is the Bradtke kid training with us any good that you know of? He seems raw as anything but at least we get a decent look at him over summer.
Raw, doesn't kick too often which was my first red light, he does possess a bit of explosiveness but this hasn't translated to high production with scoring or in general play. I think he's 2 years off being an accomplished VFL player let alone AFL forward.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Ive no idea, lets preface it there. Maybe i,m jumping at shadows.
But in interviews earlier in the year its Bradtke,s first full preseason after playing cricket.
And he struck as kinda immature/one of the boys.
So maybe he previously hadnt committed to footy. Wasnt serious about it at 18. Or hadnt grown into his size. Or was sufficiently strong and wired up.
I,m not worried about a 21yo.
He is an inexperienced, reasonsbly blank slate

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Tall kids can take time
It took me until 30 to have the co ordination and muscles to match my height

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Going to the draft instead of getting TT & Hopper would have us falling back in the pack and only making our opposition stronger.Hopper(Geel) & TT(pies).
Rather we stay in the window which attracts players like TT than pre 2017 where knocks backs were more common than wins.

Reactions: 10 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Going to the draft instead of getting TT & Hopper would have us falling back in the pack and only making our opposition stronger.Hopper(Geel) & TT(pies).
Rather we stay in the window which attracts players like TT than pre 2017 where knocks backs were more common than wins.
True to a point but if Hopper goes to Geelong they can't afford Bowes, that leaves pick 8 up for grabs. If we have that selection Phillipou becomes a Tiger. Collingwood has Taranto but no Mitchell & loses a swag of trading capital. If you think about it in totality I reckon we would have slayed it under those circumstances.

8. Phillipou
14. Hewett
23. Cowan
35. Keeler
70. Verrall

R12. Campbell
R26. Tylar Young

Trade - Tom Mitchell, Bowes

That as a haul meets our short term & long term needs, it gives us a sniff in 2023 but beyond that the next gen. starts reaping the rewards. There's also next year's first to come.

Last edited:

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
True to a point but if Hopper goes to Geelong they can't afford Bowes, that leaves pick 8 up for grabs. If we have that selection Phillipou becomes a Tiger. Collingwood has Taranto but no Mitchell & loses a swag of trading capital. If you think about it in totality I reckon we would have slayed it under those circumstances.

8. Phillipou
14. Hewett
23. Cowan
35. Keeler
70. Verrall

R12. Campbell
R26. Tylar Young

Trade - Tom Mitchell, Bowes

That as a haul meets our short term & long term needs, it gives us a sniff in 2023 but beyond that the next gen. starts reaping the rewards. There's also next year's first to come.
Even if Hopper were to have gone to Geelong they would still have gotten Bowes and he was not coming to Richmond
Cats had that deal sewn up make no mistakes about it and was accommodated by the AFL with the rule change that assisted both Cats/Suns. worse case scenario they would have allowed Ratugolea to move to port to clear space.

I would have liked to see a Verall or a player like him taken with #70 rather than Bradtke/Narkle
as that type would have been a better long term list call but club clearly didnt believe he was the player we needed.

Lets see how the kids end up , Im excited about our list and think we are 1 x KPF short but there may be a plan being worked on as we speak.

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Even if Hopper were to have gone to Geelong they would still have gotten Bowes and he was not coming to Richmond
Cats had that deal sewn up make no mistakes about it and was accommodated by the AFL with the rule change that assisted both Cats/Suns. worse case scenario they would have allowed Ratugolea to move to port to clear space.

I would have liked to see a Verall or a player like him taken with #70 rather than Bradtke/Narkle
as that type would have been a better long term list call but club clearly didnt believe he was the player we needed.

Lets see how the kids end up , Im excited about our list and think we are 1 x KPF short but there may be a plan being worked on as we speak.
Possibly, did we establish how much Bowes is getting paid at the Cats?

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Possibly, did we establish how much Bowes is getting paid at the Cats?
I highly doubt any of the real numbers would be released but i find it extremely difficuly to believe how a player thats guaranteed $1.6 mil over 2 years would take $1.8 mil over 4 years as a 25 year old.

Im sure he will be getting what he is owed and another $450k-$500k for the following 2 years so $2.5 mil over 4 years but that would be masked in other ways.

Probably has been sold a home in torquay for $400k
I also heard an interesting story about Hawkins cows fetching record numbers when he sold them last year

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I highly doubt any of the real numbers would be released but i find it extremely difficuly to believe how a player thats guaranteed $1.6 mil over 2 years would take $1.8 mil over 4 years as a 25 year old.

Im sure he will be getting what he is owed and another $450k-$500k for the following 2 years so $2.5 mil over 4 years but that would be masked in other ways.

Probably has been sold a home in torquay for $400k
I also heard an interesting story about Hawkins cows fetching record numbers when he sold them last year
Cowgate! I love it, now for the methane tax.

• Haha