2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Guys, I've been on this site for three months screaming about grabbing a tall forward, I've laid out a plan for this entire period, I haven't deviated once, I've mentioned numerous times Keeler was the slider, I mentioned numerous times there were 4-5 tall forwards in that 30-50 range, I've put the list up at least 10 times. I've picked a forward in the mock draft (2 just to ram home my point) and now I'm being a hindsight charlatan. Vintage PRE, following the same pattern as every year, can't cope with anything other than the club line.

Let me put it to you another way. If Hewitt goes early I take Jefferson & Hotton, a mid & a forward, it's probably still Keeler in the third much like the PRE draft (2 forwards). I struggle to see how this is so controversial, particularly when I've outlined my strategy prior to the draft. I was even asked the player I was picking in REAL TIME, go back over the comments if you must.

As for Mitchell, he was the player I focused on because he didn't interfere with our existing picks, that was the fundamental reason I preferenced him over Hopper. Now you blokes are rewriting the script & turning a salary cap dump into some highly valuable commodity which prevents me from taking the tall I've structured my whole strategy around. That's just lame revisionism & hints that some of you are concerned I've managed to secure a decent draft haul.

But you are correct, enough talk, I know my cues, I'll see you blokes next year, I'll drop in when the season concludes, hopefully we've got a premiership but if not, we'll be discussing the future first you've all happily parted with.

I don't think DA said anything about you trading in hindsight. He said they were hyptheticals as you cannot be sure that the draft wouldn't have panned out in a different way. You are taking that comment way too sensitively. You are a great asset on this site, and you do put your nuts on the line with your assessments and I believe everyone on here accepts that but you have to accept feedback on that too.

Even your strategy is a hypothetical. Would you have been able to convince Bowes to sign for us or is it how the media have focused it, that Geelong put the work in and he was going there from a long way out. Coming in at the last minute probably wouldn't have cut it.

Reactions: 5 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Guys, I've been on this site for three months screaming about grabbing a tall forward, I've laid out a plan for this entire period, I haven't deviated once, I've mentioned numerous times Keeler was the slider, I mentioned numerous times there were 4-5 tall forwards in that 30-50 range, I've put the list up at least 10 times. I've picked a forward in the mock draft (2 just to ram home my point) and now I'm being a hindsight charlatan. Vintage PRE, following the same pattern as every year, can't cope with anything other than the club line.

Let me put it to you another way. If Hewitt goes early I take Jefferson & Hotton, a mid & a forward, it's probably still Keeler in the third much like the PRE draft (2 forwards). I struggle to see how this is so controversial, particularly when I've outlined my strategy prior to the draft. I was even asked the player I was picking in REAL TIME, go back over the comments if you must.

As for Mitchell, he was the player I focused on because he didn't interfere with our existing picks, that was the fundamental reason I preferenced him over Hopper. Now you blokes are rewriting the script & turning a salary cap dump into some highly valuable commodity which prevents me from taking the tall I've structured my whole strategy around. That's just lame revisionism & hints that some of you are concerned I've managed to secure a decent draft haul.

But you are correct, enough talk, I know my cues, I'll see you blokes next year, I'll drop in when the season concludes, hopefully we've got a premiership but if not, we'll be discussing the future first you've all happily parted with.
Thanks for your 2022 visit, most informative and insightful as always.

Reactions: 8 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Yes thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts of this year's trade and draft period @bullus_hit

May you have a great Xmas and new year and heaps of fun celebrating the 2023 Tiger premiership :)

Reactions: 12 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I don't think DA said anything about you trading in hindsight. He said they were hyptheticals as you cannot be sure that the draft wouldn't have panned out in a different way. You are taking that comment way too sensitively. You are a great asset on this site, and you do put your nuts on the line with your assessments and I believe everyone on here accepts that but you have to accept feedback on that too.

Even your strategy is a hypothetical. Would you have been able to convince Bowes to sign for us or is it how the media have focused it, that Geelong put the work in and he was going there from a long way out. Coming in at the last minute probably wouldn't have cut it.
Bowes has been mentioned on the fly as a better choice than Hopper but beyond that nothing, I do that trade for Phillipou, if not then yada, he's a Cat, I have been responding only to those who claim Bowes is dead weight, he's not when he's packaged with a gun mid.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Bowes has been mentioned on the fly as a better choice than Hopper but beyond that nothing, I do that trade for Phillipou, if not then yada, he's a Cat, I have been responding only to those who claim Bowes is dead weight, he's not when he's packaged with a gun mid.

Yep understand that point. I'd still go with Hopper as personal view is if we went the draft way, then we won't win a premiership with the current older guys on our list, but I understand your point.

Just comparing strategies (if we ignore the Bowes / Phillipou trade as I don't think that was really an option for us coming late to the party.

Bullus - Rich Rd 1 - Hewett, North Rd 2 - Cowan, Rich Rd 2 - Keeler, Tom Mitchell for Richmond F2. Just checking if I have that right? Richmond didn't have a 3rd or 4th this year, we picked up Smith and Green as part of the Hopper trade.

Compared to the actual.

Taranto / Hopper / Green and Smith for Rich Rd 1, North Rd 2, Rich Rd 2 and Rich F1

So the net effect is essentially:

Mitchell, Hewett, Cowan, Keeler and our future 1st

Compared to, Taranto, Hopper, Smith, Green and our future 2nd

It will certainly be interesting to see where we end up. FWIW I think for attempting to win a premiership the club has done the right thin, but it will be interesting over the coming years watching the futures of Hewett, Cowan and Keeler vs our 2 GWS boys along with Smith and Green.

Again, kudos to you for having the guts to put your alternative option out there. I know you get a few questions about it, and whether it turns out to be right or wrong, you hold your position and don't chop and change to make yourself look better or worse out of it.

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Yep understand that point. I'd still go with Hopper as personal view is if we went the draft way, then we won't win a premiership with the current older guys on our list, but I understand your point.

Just comparing strategies (if we ignore the Bowes / Phillipou trade as I don't think that was really an option for us coming late to the party.

Bullus - Rich Rd 1 - Hewett, North Rd 2 - Cowan, Rich Rd 2 - Keeler, Tom Mitchell for Richmond F2. Just checking if I have that right? Richmond didn't have a 3rd or 4th this year, we picked up Smith and Green as part of the Hopper trade.

Compared to the actual.

Taranto / Hopper / Green and Smith for Rich Rd 1, North Rd 2, Rich Rd 2 and Rich F1

So the net effect is essentially:

Mitchell, Hewett, Cowan, Keeler and our future 1st

Compared to, Taranto, Hopper, Smith, Green and our future 2nd

It will certainly be interesting to see where we end up. FWIW I think for attempting to win a premiership the club has done the right thin, but it will be interesting over the coming years watching the futures of Hewett, Cowan and Keeler vs our 2 GWS boys along with Smith and Green.

Again, kudos to you for having the guts to put your alternative option out there. I know you get a few questions about it, and whether it turns out to be right or wrong, you hold your position and don't chop and change to make yourself look better or worse out of it.
Also add Verrall in at pick 70, two talls was the aim & getting them in this year seemed the prudent play. Richmond still deciding on that last player so if it's Bradtke or Narkle then add them to the pile. Verrall was the reason I didn't entertain Barnett with our second, I felt the difference in ability didn't reflect their relative draft standing, more circumstance given Verrall was largely obscured from view during the state carnival. I'm of the opinion Verrall's athleticism will be the platform for a decent AFL career.

Our rookie picks were spot on by the way, textbook selections with a small forward & a well credentialled state league player. This would almost appear to be an FJ directive, very reminiscent of his final few years. A few busts here and there but also some core cattle in Lambert & Broad.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
If you're going to take pot shots then at least spell it out in full - Hewitt/Cowan/Keeler/Next year's first & Mitchell. Where are you getting our next tall by the way?
Free agency ..Or as @Dont Argue mentioned on another thread ,a cheaper option.
Hartley will be all over it.

The Tigers want to win a premiership in 2023,or at least contend ,your not going to contend with the player's you would add to our list.

Your philosophy is the pre-premiership Tigers ,the old money ball approach .

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Why wait till the season ends,the junior season begins in about 3 months or a little over.
Put your knackers on the line earlier in the season :LOL:.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Why wait till the season ends,the junior season begins in about 3 months or a little over.
Put your knackers on the line earlier in the season :LOL:.
I may drop in earlier, let's just wait and see, I haven't been posting because I prefer to get the full picture with my previous year's rookies, but next year there's a first rounder to discuss so that could get me fired up early!

Anyhow, best of luck to Richmond, the trades have been solid, just a difference of opinion as to where we sit with a spate of retirements over the next few years. If Blair aces a key forward then things shift quite dramatically, just have to wait on that I guess.

Reactions: 9 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I may drop in earlier, let's just wait and see, I haven't been posting because I prefer to get the full picture with my previous year's rookies, but next year there's a first rounder to discuss so that could get me fired up early!

Anyhow, best of luck to Richmond, the trades have been solid, just a difference of opinion as to where we sit with a spate of retirements over the next few years. If Blair aces a key forward then things shift quite dramatically, just have to wait on that I guess.
Last nights "Big Footy Tigercast" (found on youtube) show has some news on that front & i am curious as to your thoughts on it, it does make sense of our off season this yr. On the Clubs podcast pre Draft trading next yrs F1 to get back into the 1st round is an option they will consider at the time.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Last nights "Big Footy Tigercast" (found on youtube) show has some news on that front & i am curious as to your thoughts on it, it does make sense of our off season this yr. On the Clubs podcast pre Draft trading next yrs F1 to get back into the 1st round is an option they will consider at the time.
Getting back into the draft would be wise, not sure how, maybe the 2024 first?

Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Probably have to let go a couple of good kids to get some picks. Like Jack Graham and Hugo being mentioned around draft time.

If we're loaded with similar types of players and they can't get games often enough, they may be good value for some picks. Butler, Higgins, Markov, Ellis for example :unsure:

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014

Have too wonder why Keeler slid.Alarm bells surely.
Bit of Chol about him Lazy?

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Probably have to let go a couple of good kids to get some picks. Like Jack Graham and Hugo being mentioned around draft time.

If we're loaded with similar types of players and they can't get games often enough, they may be good value for some picks. Butler, Higgins, Markov, Ellis for example :unsure:
Well a certain #29 is OOC.
West Coast will be sniffing.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks. Bully enjoyed your work very informative and always take time to answer questions mate how 2023 season ends up will be interesting.

Got a feeling Gibcus is being pencil marked for a forward role, as you mentioned before the dynamics change then.

Last edited:

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Have too wonder why Keeler slid.Alarm bells surely.
Bit of Chol about him Lazy?
That's the knock but talls can be hot and cold, I think he carries equal risk when compared to Jefferson, both come with some question marks but the big difference is one is a first rounder & one is a third, most of the risk now leveraged late in the draft. Being a ruck height also means there are two avenues for an AFL career, this is another example of mitigating some element of risk when selecting a tall.

I think Hewett's risk has also been overstated due to some carefully crafted negative publicity, I think he will surprise many.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
That's the knock but talls can be hot and cold, I think he carries equal risk when compared to Jefferson, both come with some question marks but the big difference is one is a first rounder & one is a third, most of the risk now leveraged late in the draft. Being a ruck height also means there are two avenues for an AFL career, this is another example of mitigating some element of risk when selecting a tall.

I think Hewett's risk has also been overstated due to some carefully crafted negative publicity, I think he will surprise many.
Do you think we would've taken him if we still had 31?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Do you think we would've taken him if we still had 31?
I would have thought so, he was the logical choice & I struggle to see how you could rank any of the other tall forwards ahead of him. At the end of the day he still averaged 15 touches a match, I think it's a trap to take the glass half empty approach with talls, particularly forwards, especially with ones who have all the tricks in the tool kit.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The fact the Crows didn't bother to list him as a freebie after 40, have all the intel, all the inside running on his character and attitude to being a professional and saying, "NOPE" tells me so much.

Reactions: 6 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
I would have thought so, he was the logical choice & I struggle to see how you could rank any of the other tall forwards ahead of him. At the end of the day he still averaged 15 touches a match, I think it's a trap to take the glass half empty approach with talls, particularly forwards, especially with ones who have all the tricks in the tool kit.
Line ball i think out of keeler or Lemmy.
Now i know i can now safely say that 31 was a bit too high.lol
But i think them falling down so far sort of justifies the trade for TT & Hopper.
You have to remember that our recruiters/scouts would have all the intel on say the top 60 kids.Plus where we see our list at.
Anyway i'm sounding like a used broken record as you would've heard this before no doubt.
Great debate sir.

Reactions: 1 users