2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
if he is 190cm, and doesn't grow anymore, he will be a bit short i reckon. the "3rd tall" needs to be able to play on key forwards when called upon.
Hopefully he can grow. Failing that, we can put some orthotics in his boots, that should push him up a couple of inches :)

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
if he is 190cm, and doesn't grow anymore, he will be a bit short i reckon. the "3rd tall" needs to be able to play on key forwards when called upon.
Tom Stewart is 190cm, this would be the template, clearly undersized for the 200cm club but fine for players in that 190-194cm bracket. 3rd tall role usually indicates ability to play short or tall, it doesn't necessarily mean he's good for the gorillas, this is why you need a Noah Balta or Josh Gibcus in the squad. Joel Bowden won two AA jumpers at CHB, he's shorter than Teal, I also reckon there may be another couple of centimetres growth left in him. He's got a long range shoe on him & he has decent playmaking ability, pretty solid gamble from my perspective.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Tom Stewart is 190cm, this would be the template, clearly undersized for the 200cm club but fine for players in that 190-194cm bracket. 3rd tall role usually indicates ability to play short or tall, it doesn't necessarily mean he's good for the gorillas, this is why you need a Noah Balta or Josh Gibcus in the squad. Joel Bowden won two AA jumpers at CHB, he's shorter than Teal, I also reckon there may be another couple of centimetres growth left in him. He's got a long range shoe on him & he has decent playmaking ability, pretty solid gamble from my perspective.
Stewart plays a role more similar to Vlastuin than Broad/Grimes, alongside DeKoning, Koladashian and Henry. ( tho Vlastuin actually has an opponent often. )
Plenty of teams play 3 legitimate talls, and a 3rd tall back needs to be comfortable on them, or covering when a key back rests.

Bowen played at a time when there was few legitimate forward over 195cm, now all teams have them, and many have 2.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Stewart plays a role more similar to Vlastuin than Broad/Grimes, alongside DeKoning, Koladashian and Henry. ( tho Vlastuin actually has an opponent often. )
Plenty of teams play 3 legitimate talls, and a 3rd tall back needs to be comfortable on them, or covering when a key back rests.

Bowen played at a time when there was few legitimate forward over 195cm, now all teams have them, and many have 2.
Grimes was given a variety of roles when Rance & Astbury were in the side, that's where a player like Teal would come into the frame. Not all gun forwards are towering monoliths, Jack is 193cm, Fogarty is 194cm, Membrey is 188cm, Darling 190cm, Curnow 192cm. These are the type of match-ups I'm talking about, not playing on 200cm guys like McKay or the King twins.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Really surprised we didn't just rookie Teal if we are this keen.
We’re obviously not that keen, hence why we didn’t rookie him.
Must be some queries on him. Club wants to see him close up. Could be a number of things they’re not sure about.
According to Rookie Me Central, he’s average on endurance, strength and contested work. Elite on aerial and disposal.
He’s only one of three we’re looking at and we may pass on all three and go to the mid season draft.
The thing that interests me the most is that they’re all different types so can’t play one off against the other.
Looks like they’ve gone best available even at this pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Re: Luke Teal training with Richmond

An athletic medium defender, Teal does his best work behind the ball as an intercepting threat, with his reading of the ball in flight and intercept marking highlights of his game. While mostly used in defence this year, Teal has experience playing through the midfield where his ball use and composure under pressure have been hallmarks of his game.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...t-espn-early-two-round-breakdown-************

Luke Teal (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)

A member of the NAB AFL Academy at the start of the year, Teal endured a rocky 2022 which included suffering a broken collarbone.

However, the 189cm rebounding defender or wingman put his best foot forward when he did get out on the field and showed his abilities one-on-one and that he has a penetrating kick when he wins the ball back.

He is the son of Robert Teal, who played 18 games for Sydney in 1989 and 1990.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/a...a/news-story/d607542b77ee76a3b5f45673113b1b63

Another potential hard luck story due to seperate bouts of injury, Teal is a prototypical modern day footballer who was simply unable to show his wares across an extended run of games. He suffered appendicitis and later broke his collarbone, with Oakleigh’s lack of a finals campaign potentially hurting his stocks. Teal’s athletic profile, versatility, and terrific kicking skills may see him find a suitor yet, and he has serious upside to consider.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/20...erlooked-prospects-vying-for-a-rookie-chance/

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Two shoulder reconstructions & hamstring surgery for Teal, I daresay it's due diligence based on fitness. He has elite agility & I reckon with an uninterrupted season under his belt he will be ok with the endurance. Probably as risky as Busslinger but doesn't come with a hefty price tag.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Grimes was given a variety of roles when Rance & Astbury were in the side, that's where a player like Teal would come into the frame. Not all gun forwards are towering monoliths, Jack is 193cm, Fogarty is 194cm, Membrey is 188cm, Darling 190cm, Curnow 192cm. These are the type of match-ups I'm talking about, not playing on 200cm guys like McKay or the King twins.
Richmond started last year with Jack, Tom and Balta up forward. Who would he play on out of those 3?

It is not impossible, but i reckon it would be a big ask for someone 190cm to fill that "3rd tall" role.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Must be some queries on him. Club wants to see him close up. Could be a number of things they’re not sure about.
According to Rookie Me Central, he’s average on endurance, strength and contested work. Elite on aerial and disposal.
He’s only one of three we’re looking at and we may pass on all three and go to the mid season draft.
The thing that interests me the most is that they’re all different types so can’t play one off against the other.
Agree DA. It was the point I was trying to make last week.
We managed Young late and it would seem we went with best available right through the draft with a focus on speed, skill, and disposal by hand and foot, and without particular regard to size.

It also seems we took the same approach at last years draft with the hightened importance given to disposal stemming from the 666 and stand rule changes.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Richmond started last year with Jack, Tom and Balta up forward. Who would he play on out of those 3?

It is not impossible, but i reckon it would be a big ask for someone 190cm to fill that "3rd tall" role.
If he's playing for Richmond then this is a moot point but if it's necessity then he takes Jack, height not an issue, maybe strength a concern but you can't expect him to be an instant success against one of the greatest forwards the game has seen. There will be occasions when certain match-ups will see him playing small, against Melbourne he takes Fritsch, against St Kilda he takes Membrey, against West Coast he takes Darling, against Adelaide he takes Fogarty, against Collingwood he takes Mihocek....... just to name a few. Josh Gibson was 189cm but played the third tall role beautifully, I've already mentioned JB but you could also give a shout out to James Sicily, 186cm but plays tall when necessary.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I will be shocked if we don’t take on of them over the summer. We are talking about putting him on the list as a SSP, that’s an actual spot on the list. It could be a smoke screen to get him into the VFL and it keeps Narkle on his toes.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Two shoulder reconstructions & hamstring surgery for Teal,
Bloody hell! Kids broken already n we haven't even got to the unwrapping under the tree bit yet. Considering all the missed footy due to covid that's a ridiculous injury run.