2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Hobbs looks average at best. Dodged a bullet there.

A concern that we tried so hard to get him though
Did we really? I think Blair and the team have become very good at "feeding the chooks" and leading them away from who we really want.

Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Did we really? I think Blair and the team have become very good at "feeding the chooks" and leading them away from who we really want.
Nah we really wanted him. Offered West C, Port and Essendrugs plenty to try and grab him.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers need to orchestrate another strong hand for this draft and need to nail it.

Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Same.
But we do have plenty of HBFs and could really have done with a gun HFF if Lohmann has Toby Green attributes, like strong in the air.
Anyway onwards and upwards
Agree, probably have a greater need for a HFF but Brown has that playing style that makes it look like the game stands still for him. Not overly quick but always seems to have time (ala Pendlebury & Knights) and his kicking skills are at the top end of talent in last years draft. Not dissimilar to Flossy and we sure could use 2 of him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Bit early to be making calls on the 2021 class just yet I’d have thought ! Good, bad or otherwise. :)

Reactions: 4 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
@Scoop Interested in your thoughts on trading the North pick for Tanner Bruhn? Reckon he looks great when going through the midfield but gets very few chances at the Giants. Would think a rotation of Bruhn, Stack and Bolton between mid and forward could be really damaging for us.
Too small , I like idea though of bringing in a fringe mid from , lions , gc blues that have embarrassment of riches in that dept

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Too small , I like idea though of bringing in a fringe mid from , lions , gc blues that have embarrassment of riches in that dept

My thoughts are, we could probably get him either with our 2nd or Norths 2nd, then raid the Giants again at the end of 2023 and get Hopper as a FA.

We do need bigger midfielders but via trade they are going to be expensive (ie. Tom Green would cost at least our 1st this year, possibly next year too, reckon thats too big a price to pay). We also need skill and my thinking of rotating Bolton, Stack and Bruhn through the forward line and midfield would mean highly skilled small;s in the F50, whilst all 3 are also good at clearances (but we do need some bigger bodies to protect them some what).

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Bit early to be making calls on the 2021 class just yet I’d have thought ! Good, bad or otherwise. :)
Maybe so but not as bad as the experts that call it before they actually see them play a game.

Willing to bet Hobbs never gets more than 10 Brownlow votes in a single season though and Lohmann kicks 6 goals in a senior game at least once in his career

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
@Scoop Interested in your thoughts on trading the North pick for Tanner Bruhn? Reckon he looks great when going through the midfield but gets very few chances at the Giants. Would think a rotation of Bruhn, Stack and Bolton between mid and forward could be really damaging for us.
Interesting, I want to wait and see if he keeps up the midfield role. Strange numerical profile at the moment. Winning a heap of contested ball as a percentage of his touches but not a high number of touches per week. tackles and clearances tracking the right way. From memory wasn‘t a huge ball winner at under 18’s level. That’s my question. But he’s a watch right now.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
My thoughts are, we could probably get him either with our 2nd or Norths 2nd, then raid the Giants again at the end of 2023 and get Hopper as a FA.

We do need bigger midfielders but via trade they are going to be expensive (ie. Tom Green would cost at least our 1st this year, possibly next year too, reckon thats too big a price to pay). We also need skill and my thinking of rotating Bolton, Stack and Bruhn through the forward line and midfield would mean highly skilled small;s in the F50, whilst all 3 are also good at clearances (but we do need some bigger bodies to protect them some what).
We need a gun mid whatever the cost.
We have the howdy pardners (Bolton Sonsie) and are assembling the support posse (Stack, Dow, Graham, Snake Bakes)

We got speed agility and craft. What we don't got is an inside heavy.
In short what I'm saying is let's not buy something we don't need

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We need a gun mid whatever the cost.
We have the howdy pardners (Bolton Sonsie) and are assembling the support posse (Stack, Dow, Graham, Snake Bakes)

We got speed agility and craft. What we don't got is an inside heavy.
In short what I'm saying is let's not buy something we don't need

It won't change around in 1 draft, we need volume of midfielders as much as anything. Remember we are playing with Cotch, Edwards, Prestia, Martin and Lambert in our best side (when fit) and all will need to replaced in those roles over the coming years.

Bruhn has looked very good when given the chance in the middle but the Giants just can't play him there enough. We could offer that opportunity and balance the quality of our clearances with quality in the F50 with the trio of Bolton, Stack and Bruhn.

We do need a bigger midfielder and that may be the finishing piece of a strong, dynamic and quick midfield, and I'd fancy us moving for Hopper. A FA at the end of 2023, we would easily be able to pay more than the Giants at that point and would cost us nothing. I think its a better option to look at this over a couple of years rather than the hail mary of 1 player that it would need to be to prise a contracted Tom Green out of GWS.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Interesting, I want to wait and see if he keeps up the midfield role. Strange numerical profile at the moment. Winning a heap of contested ball as a percentage of his touches but not a high number of touches per week. tackles and clearances tracking the right way. From memory wasn‘t a huge ball winner at under 18’s level. That’s my question. But he’s a watch right now.

He's looked very good when given midfield minutes, I'd love to see if there is a stat our there for successful CBA's. Eyesight tells me when he goes in there, there is a good chance you win the clearance.

Agree his profile looks strange due to the mix he has of the forward line and when he gets midfield minutes.

I suspect he could be a similar type to Bolton, high teens to low 20's possessions (hopefully the latter) but they would be damaging possessions.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It won't change around in 1 draft, we need volume of midfielders as much as anything. Remember we are playing with Cotch, Edwards, Prestia, Martin and Lambert in our best side (when fit) and all will need to replaced in those roles over the coming years.

Bruhn has looked very good when given the chance in the middle but the Giants just can't play him there enough. We could offer that opportunity and balance the quality of our clearances with quality in the F50 with the trio of Bolton, Stack and Bruhn.

We do need a bigger midfielder and that may be the finishing piece of a strong, dynamic and quick midfield, and I'd fancy us moving for Hopper. A FA at the end of 2023, we would easily be able to pay more than the Giants at that point and would cost us nothing. I think its a better option to look at this over a couple of years rather than the hail mary of 1 player that it would need to be to prise a contracted Tom Green out of GWS.
Brayshaw at Melbourne is also a free agent, though I doubt he leaves.
Bruhn and Connor Stone (in the semi last year) both look alright.
Worth an investigation

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
At the moment, in the next 2-3 years we are replacing Cotch Prestia Shedda Lambo and Dusty with Ross Sonsie Dow Graham and Shai.
Obviously the jury is out with a few of the replacements.
But bring in 2 gun mids (1 draft, 1 FA) and it changes it quickly.

Brayshaw Sonsie "pick 8" Dow and Shai can be a good lineup